Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Two RF seats in a 2006 PT Cruiser

Someone please tell me that this can be done comfortably and safely. We currently have a Pt Cruiser and while I would love to trade it in for a minivan it doesn't look like we will be able to. We haven't even had the car for two years so I know we wouldn't get the best deal. Not to mention in order to keep the payments the same was what we pay now we would have to go down to an 02-03 possibly 04 with more miles than what we have...I'm just not sure that would make much sense. I would love to have more room but I know it can be done! Anyone have any experience and or pictures!?

For the record...we have a ds who's 14 months old RF in an EFTA and I am due with little bean December 7th. Not sure about which seat we will be going with at first.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Two RF seats in a 2006 PT Cruiser

I own a PT Cruiser convertible, and have a Britax Roundabout RF. It allows full use of the front seat. Shell length is the issue for me, but you may not have that problem with the 4-door. Go to Babies-R-Us and they will let you try out seats in your car.

Posted via Mobile Device

I'm 99% sure that mominabigtruck had RFing seats in a PT cruiser.
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA

Quote Originally Posted by Wineaux View Post
    I own a PT Cruiser convertible, and have a Britax Roundabout RF. It allows full use of the front seat. Shell length is the issue for me, but you may not have that problem with the 4-door. Go to Babies-R-Us and they will let you try out seats in your car.

Posted via Mobile Device
    oh man I would love to go to babies r us! The closest one here is about four hours away. My EFTA doesn't let me put the drivers seat as far back as my dh would like. It's do able but with Evenflo having the 1.5inch requirement it's kind of hard. I guess I just need to have someone measure shell length!

Evenflo does not have the 1.5 inch rule. You can have it right up against the front seat.
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    Evenflo does not have the 1.5 inch rule. You can have it right up against the front seat.
    Awesome! Thank you so much! I know I read that somewhere...it must be an old rule?

Quote Originally Posted by MommaTooters View Post
    Awesome! Thank you so much! I know I read that somewhere...it must be an old rule?
    Yes, very old. It was an infant seat rule, but not any more

CPS Technician

Well the EFTA is a hulking beast... The Britax RA is just a perfect fit, allowing the front seats to go all the way back. Plus I can RF tether the seat and it has a 35# weight limit!

Posted via Mobile Device

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

But keep in mind that many newer vehicles don't allow a RF carseat to lean up against the front passenger seat - it interferes with the seat's airbag sensors, and could cause the airbag to not deploy even though someone was using that seat.

The driver's side doesn't have that problem, as far as I know, but you should check your vehicle manual before installing the carseats.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Wineaux View Post
    Well the EFTA is a hulking beast... The Britax RA is just a perfect fit, allowing the front seats to go all the way back. Plus I can RF tether the seat and it has a 35# weight limit!

Posted via Mobile Device
    Yea, I figured that out the hard way. We were shooting for a Britax of some sort but could only afford the EFTA at the time. I really do like the EFTA but sometimes I wish it wasn't so bulky. It now has a 35lb rf limit so I love that!

Ahhh, PT Cruiser. My all time favorite vehicle to install RF seats in.
    Lysandra
    CPST, LLLL and SAHM
    Mia 13, Ian 10, Clek Olli x2, TB and BubbleBum

The EFTA only takes up marginally more room than the Roundabout. Mominabigtruck had a Blvd RF in a PT Cruiser, so I know it's do-able

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

AFAIK, Evenflo infant seats still require that 1.5" of space between any part of the infant seat and the front vehicle seats (I can't find any of their instruction manuals online at their web site--helpful ). There never was a spacing rule with the Evenflo convertible seats. It's just confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by lodonal65 View Post
    Ahhh, PT Cruiser. My all time favorite vehicle to install RF seats in.
    Uh oh...why do you say that?

I fit a Scenera and Comfortsport Rfing.

Also to MAs RFing.

Not at the same time, of course.

In my mom's Cruiser, I could easily get an Uptown RF (short shell like RA), and I'd think that with the pod shape of the EFTA I could too. Now I want to try.

Our Signo will go RF, but its really upright and not much boarding room for kid. Its pretty darn big FF too. Looks like a throne sitting in there.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

Quote Originally Posted by MommaTooters View Post
    Uh oh...why do you say that?
    No uh oh, I meant that sincerely.
    I have never had not one single issue installing a seat in the vehicle!
    Lysandra
    CPST, LLLL and SAHM
    Mia 13, Ian 10, Clek Olli x2, TB and BubbleBum

Quote Originally Posted by lodonal65 View Post
    No uh oh, I meant that sincerely.
    I have never had not one single issue installing a seat in the vehicle!
    GOOD! I haven't had an issue...I can actually get a better and tighter fit in my car than I can in my mom's Dodge Caravan. I just don't like the limited amount of room I have to get ds in and out...between the seat and the frame of the car. It's not that big of a deal but sometimes when he is a little wild it can be difficult!

Quote Originally Posted by Mama! View Post
    In my mom's Cruiser, I could easily get an Uptown RF (short shell like RA), and I'd think that with the pod shape of the EFTA I could too. Now I want to try.

Our Signo will go RF, but its really upright and not much boarding room for kid. Its pretty darn big FF too. Looks like a throne sitting in there.
    You will like the fit of the EFTA in there!! Funny you say it looks like a throne...here is a picture of ds sitting FF just for the sake of pictures (he is still happily rf) Dh says he is sitting on his own throne