RADIAN owners, please!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm having "one of those days" :eek: & just don't see the info I'm looking for at http://www.skjp.com/Pages/radian.html :confused: My cousin's MIL has taken over our shared CarGo (which I was going to take on the plane to Denmark) & since I can't fit any other slim carseat on the market in the 3rd row of my Freestar with a Parkway & SRC next to it, I think I want the Radian -- my kid is back down to 30# & could RF in it till we get the TwoWayPlus or Secura, seems to be the easiest option for travel & I hope it fits in the 3rd row! So my questions are....
  • Is it FAA approved?
  • What is the measurement at the widest part of the base?
  • Can I order one & where?

ADS
U

Unregistered

ok can I just say, what diet is she on?? I really wish I could get DS RF again but he is too tall for the convertibles that go to 35lbs and is 33-34lbs. He went up to 34, then down to 32, then back to 34. I know its good we got almost 2.5y rearfaing but I still dont feel like hes 100% ready :(

It is FAA approved and is 17" at its widest part. not sure if that is on the base or on the back though.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thanks so much!

That should work, then with about 2" of hip room left over :D The problem I'm having is squeezing my hand in to buckle the boosters....

She's been fluctuating between 30-33# for months now & goes way down when she gets sick. This is her first year in a setting around other kids (never went to daycare, but is in Nursery school now) so she gets blasted with every flu & cold that goes around *SIGH* I almost thought she might hit 34# but that ain't happening any time soon -- in her most recent growth spurt she only gained another 1" in height, but no weight :eek: :rolleyes: The doctors & I aren't worried, though, because she's always been on the same "path" in the charts: 95th % height 5th % weight plus I'm barely 100# at 5'4" myself, too.... I've almost kicked myself for giving away our WZ & BLVD, but the RYS will be necessary in my fiance's car & the Radian will be necessary for my daycare kids (I haven't counted all the seats I've gone through yet & I think I'd faint if I bothered, LOL)

I just found the other thread about buying the Radian after I tried calling all the Babies-R-Us & Targets within a 2 hour drive distance to no avail. I called Sunshine Kids & found 2 stores over 2 hours' drive away (I'd never heard of these store names, too & have no idea how I'd get to them without getting lost, LOL). But, good news, they also gave me the website http://babybungalow.com/radian.html ($199 FREE shipping)

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
THANKS so much :D

I didn't see the carrying bag for the Radian at Albeebaby & customer service said the GogoKids thing doesn't fit the Radian ... I'm going to see, though, if I can borrow my Wizard back for this trip so DD can ride through the airports (& I'll wait on the Radian till I visit my brother who lives about 1/2 hour from one of the "local" retrailers) -- I really really appreciate the help :)

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

I bought my Radian at Baby Outfitters (www.baby-outfitters.com) for $199. Not sure if they have free shipping because I went to the local retail store. By the way, my Radian is currently rear-facing for my 6-month-old son who outgrew his SnugRide, and I LOVE it!

U

Unregistered

the widest part of the base is 14", the widest part of the seat back is 17"

M

Mattypies

I have a freestar and ...

I have tried every imaginable configuration for 3 across the back row. An MA/DC/BV make for the easiest fit of any three across situation and allows for easier buckling. I can even fit a TB on each side if I use my MA center latch. The only other solution I have found is to borrow my gf's old fisher price booster and use it in the middle then i can pretty much fit anything I want outboard. The back bench of the freestar is surprisingly good for 3 across situations.

HTH,

Heather

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Huh, this hasn't been my experience at all & I've taken it to the local technician, too :confused: I just cannot get my fingers in to buckle either booster when I've tried the Wizard FF & RF or the CarGo or my Recaro Young Sport in the middle -- SRC can only fit in the back row on it's narrowest setting & the Parkway is also very narrow at the back by the buckles but impossible while reaching around a kid & through from the middle, LOL! I have tiny fingers, too *SIGH* I even tried the Wizard outboard with the 2 boosters sharing buckle locations but with kids in them I was completely unable to get the buckles done.... Although, we did manage to get the Wizard installed outboard next to the RYS well & I imagine a Radian might fit on the other side -- considering the difference in how installing carseats compares to buckling kids into boosters. That's definitely something to consider ;)

M

Mattypies

It really does work!

When I am in a hurry I usually resort to Marathon in the middle using latch and 2 backless turbos on the sides. I slide my hand in by the base of the Marathon and buckle the boosters. I have 2 turbos and a parkway but I don't think I have tried my parkway back there yet. I will try on the weekend. I do have to remove headrests in any location that I install a booster or harnessed seat.

I have a Regent in the drivers side Captains chair for my 4 year old and a parkway in the captains chair on the passenger side for my 7.5 year old at all times. When we have friends, which is often, that is the setup that I use most. The FP booster is amazing in that middle spot. I do not have access to an SRC.

I am neurotic about a tight install. The Marathon is part of the car!

Heather

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I think the problem is that I don't have captains chairs - the middle row is a bench in the middle & my guy doesn't like DD's feet on his arm while he's in the front so I have the bench all the way back ... I think this is why I can't get my fingers in under the side of the Wizard & between a boosteres kid, because I'm reaching real far :rolleyes: DD doesn't like to sit so far away as the 3rd row for me to pull the middle row up & get in the back to maneuver my fingers in between the seats. I tried doing it from the cargo area behind, but hurt my head & couldn't really see that way :p Anyway, I'm going to keep playing around with it - I swapped the RYS with my cousin to get my Wizard back (because I ordered a GogoKids for the airport).... I keep chaning my mind about what's the best way to do this, LOL

M

Mattypies

Aaaahhh!

When I buckle the booster I get down between my 2 captains chairs and buckle so that I am at eye level with the buclkes. It is so much easier to buckle when I can see where it is going because you can actuall "push" the female end into the seat bite too far making it impossible to buckle.

But it can be done. My dh can not buckle the boosters but I can!

Heather

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Too funny - DH can't but you can!

I've got our Wizard in RF behind the front passenger now, but the bench still has to be all the way back to fit - it's much less than a 45* angle & braced against the front passenger seat ... which is all the way back just because when I sit in it at barely 100# it sometimes flashes off (just like it did in my Escape) :confused: Anyway, the Husky fits well next to the Wizard in the 2nd row & I'm pretty sure I've decided that I'll put the Radian outboard behind the driver in the 3rd row with the StarRiserComfy in the middle so that it can be buckled with the Parkway - hopefully this will make buckling easy enough for the big kids to do on their own :rolleyes: With the 2nd row all the way back there isn't any room whatsoever to squeez into the back - barely enough room for me to climb over the bench, but only when there aren't any legs taking up space behind the bench, LOL ... if the big kids can buckle themselves then I'm sure I can reach through from the cargo area to buckle the RF Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC