3 across in Jaguar? was Re: Successful Three Across thread

Hi,
I am new to this site but would appreciate some feedback if anyone can help.
I live in the Uk and drive and X type Jaguar.
Does anyone know if I would be able to fit 3 Radians across the back.
What is the minimum measurement needed?
Hope someone can help.:)
Thanks

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Radian is 17" across the shoulders and 14" across the base.

The Radian can be a tricky install with the seatbelt. Do you have LATCH/ISOFIX? If so, do you have it in all three positions? It's a tricky enough seat that we recommend people buy it from a place with a good return policy. Can you buy it in the UK, or would you be shipping from the US (or having someone pick them up for you)?

How old and heavy are your kiddos? And out of curiosity, why an American seat versus a Scandinavian seat? Are foreign seats illegal for you?

Wendy

skaterbabs

Width wise they should fit, and you may actually have enough space for slightly wider seats. I don't know how well the Radian will install for you though.

VKOrsi

And out of curiosity, why an American seat versus a Scandinavian seat? y
just because of the same problem :D
extended harnessed seats like radian or frontier, are not known in Europe :( .
I also bought my 2 Radians from US.

Extended RF is only known in Sweden & Finland :eek: Nowere else can you get seats that would fit a 2yo RF :thumbsdown:

My kids are pretty small.
DS1 is almost 5 and only 35lbs.
DD is nearly 3 and 28lbs
DS2 is 14 months and 21lbs
not sure of heights.
DS1 is tiny heightwise, DD is about average and DS2 is about average.
Will get proper heights tonight!
I currently have x2 recaro young sports in the back for DS1 and DD and a Britax first class RF in the front for DS2(passenger seat airbag deactivates when car seat in use!)
We are travelling to Florida in July and I started looking into car seats with the rental car etc. Last year we brought the recaros with us and baby was in a maxi cosi baby seat. Just didn't want the extra luggage this year, plus we can't use them on the plane so they would have to be checked in.
While on a trip to the USA earlier this year - minus the kids - I spotted the radian and have not been able to get out of my head since. I desperately want to get alll 3 kids in the back of my car and this appears to be the only seat it might be possible to do so with. I do not have latch in my car though - they would have to be fitted with seat belts.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can use a forward facing seat for DS2 on the plane, right? That would mean you'd only have to buy two seats here and take them home (keep the boxes they came in to ship them home with you).

The Radians in the rental car, not a problem. The Recaro in the rental, probably not a problem with the seatbelt. So FFing Radian/Recaro/RFing Radian. In your car you might be able to get that to work as well. Not at all sure, though.

I don't know that anyone here has an X type, and I don't know if they're the same here as there. I don't think my local Jag dealership would take too kindly to me coming and putting two Radians in their show model. LOL

Wendy

Would anyone know if the radian is in any way similar to install as the recaro young sport. i get a great fit with the recaro in my car and hubbys car and pretty much every other car i have tried it in - also USA rental car.:)
To be honest, we have been able to use points for our flights - and will be flying business class. The kids will just want to lie down most of the way so car seats will be pretty redundant. The littlest one, although not ideal will be sharing a seat with me or hubby.
I know from reading various posts that the radian can be tricky to install - are there specific issues, or do people have the same issues with it?
My seat belt stems are fairly short, does this help / hinder. Not sure what is meant by forward of the bight? Can anyone help?:confused:

Know i am being a nuisance asking all these questions, but is a radian only a problem to install if your seatbelts are forward of the bight. Just checked, and mine seem ok - come out of the crease between seat bottom and back. not on any length of material, kind of attached to thick wire which is very short. will this make installation easier. really need to know the answer (if there is on!) as i desperately want 3 to fit in my car!!!!!!!!:question:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Know i am being a nuisance asking all these questions, but is a radian only a problem to install if your seatbelts are forward of the bight. Just checked, and mine seem ok - come out of the crease between seat bottom and back. not on any length of material, kind of attached to thick wire which is very short. will this make installation easier. really need to know the answer (if there is on!) as i desperately want 3 to fit in my car!!!!!!!!:question:

The length of the stalk, and its positioning, are really hard to say yes or no. The problem with the Radian is the location of the beltpath. It's low. So a low stalk at the crease may work really well, but the seatbelt may twist as it buckles in, making it hard or impossible to tighten. A long stalk may go straight into the beltpath, which is fine. A medium stalk may hit against the side at the wrong angle, or make it hard to tighten the belt.

Forward of the bight belts generally won't work as well, but I wouldn't rule them out all together. I haven't tried, but the Mini Cooper's belts are in front of the bight and the angle may be just perfect to keep the Radian in nice and tight.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC