Newborn, 2 year old, and a 4 1/2 year old

jsta1005

I just successfully got 3 across in my car! I was very excited! But I have a few issues to be worked out... I am the nanny for a baby girl who is 18 months now (but I'm planning for when the baby bro/sis is here in Nov.) So I will have a 2 year old (who is big now 32lbs and very tall but I'm not sure of her height), a newborn, and I need to be able to fit a carseat for a 4 year old. I only have her every once and a while but it will probably be more then. I seem to have quite a collection of seats I can choose from. I have 2 Eddie Bauer Booster Deluxe, a TurboBooster w/out a back, an Evenflo Titan, and I am buying a Graco SafeSeat1 for the new baby.

For the 3 across today I used 2 Eddie Bauer Booster Deluxes and a Peg Perego Primo Viagio SIP (borrowed from a friend to try)... But I took one of the bases off of the EB. I know this seat does not allow this but I just wanted to try it. Is this seat is the same size as the Alpha Omega Elite (since you can take the base off)? and will it fit the same way?

Also what do you guys think is the best arrangement for the 3 seats with one rear facing. I really want to keep the 4 year old harnessed but I don't know if it's possible in my car. and The 2 year old seems to be outgrowing her seat (40 lbs weight limit) and am kinda looking to maybe buy a Graco Nautilus for her. How easy is that to get 3 across with?

And... a side not about the SIP. The styrofoam on the head wings is cracking into several large pieces. Is this still safe to use? The seat has a DOM of Sep 2005 and was only used for about 5 months. Is there anyway to put the pieces back together?

I have a 2001 Volvo S40. and the 2 outboard seats have LATCH but I didn't use them today so I could move the seats towards the outside more with the seatbelt.

Any advice about any of this (sorry there's a lot) is greatly appreciated!!!:D

ADS

Laurette

The Graco Nautilus is about 19 in wide. It is very wide IMO. WIth it in the back of my Mountaineer center position, it is quite uncomfortable to sit on either side.

I would get at least one Radian if you are really wanting to do a three accross, especially in a smaller vehicle.

jsta1005

I would consider a Radian. Is it really only online? I would really like to try the seat with the baby. I've heard the seat isn't for wider children and the baby is anything but little.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
You might be able to locate a brick and mortar store in your area carrying the Radian to try one out in person through the Sunshine Kids store locator (Sunshine Kids is the Radian's manufacturer): http://www.skjp.com/storelocator/ I highly recommend calling any store that might be listed in your search results to verify if they carry the Radian there because the locator brings up stores carrying anything made by Sunshine Kids, and not necessarily stores with the Radian. It saves time and gas to call the store first. I kind of learned that the hard way myself during quests for harder to find seats. :)

If there isn't a local brick and mortar source, you could also consider an online vendor like Elitecarseats.com, which has a return insurance option you can purchase when you buy a seat to facilitate returns if it proves incompatible in your vehicle. Or Target.com will let you return the Radian to any Target store (double check the product details at Target.com to verify this is still the case for returns before purchasing to be sure, though), and I believe Walmart.com also sells the Radian now and will do site to store shipping to your local Walmart at no shipping cost to you.

PHaley

What about this:
NB-rf scenera, 2y.o.-radian, 4y.o.-nautilus then when 4 y.o. outgrows her seat (in a yr or four lol) give it to the 2 y.o and give the radian to the baby (new ones should have new chest clip & 35lb weight limit :) ) and get the oldest a dedicated booster or whatever new narrow hwh seat that may be out. By time the middle girl outgrows the nautilus harness she should be ready to use the nautilus as a hbb or the oldest can use the backless part and the middle girl can take over the dedicated hbb and because the radians 8 yr expiration and the backless booster part of the nautilus 9 yr expiration you basically shouldnt need more seats! Though you'll probably WANT MORE lol

Hope that helps...Just my 2 cents

jsta1005

I am really not a fan of infants in convertibles. I think they are super inconvenient (especially at the beginning). so would :yeahthat: work with a SS1?

bestjob-mommy

I am really not a fan of infants in convertibles. I think they are super inconvenient (especially at the beginning). so would :yeahthat: work with a SS1?

Hi! I have 3 radians across in my Honda Civic ( see pic below) I don't see how a SS1 would work with 2 radians even in a civic. Maybe if your backseat has more hip room. I will have to try this out and let you know. I am a nanny too, and struggled to finally have nice seats for everyone, and ones that fit in my gas efficient car:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC