When can kids sit up front?

TN Mary

With an airbag?

I know some vehicles have 'sensors' to turn them off under a certain weight limit... but I've heard the sensors are not reliable.

Is there a certain age when they can sit up front? Certain weight limit?

Thanks...

ADS

zactayaus

I live in NJ and it's 12 and under must sit in the back although not many people follow it. I didn't let my oldest ds sit in the front until he was 15yo,

TN Mary

Well, I have a VERY petite 12 yr old (4'4, 55 lbs due to a developmental disorder).

He doesn't even pass the 5 step test to sit in a regular seat belt... so I think I'm going to wait for him to do that PLUS be at least 100 lbs. He might be 16 by that time... but oh well.

I'm only 5'2 and 105 lbs and I worry about an airbag coming out onto ME.

skaterbabs

When they're driving. Before that, they need to be in the back. Everyone would be safer in the back seat.

safetyfirst001

I just let my daughter sit there. She asked about 2 weeks ago, and I said soon. She is almost 13.

We were heading to Office Depot and she was in the back. I just said that she could start sitting in the front whenever she wanted. So on the way back, she sat there. I picked her up from school today and she sat in the front and when I picked my 2 other sons up, they were surprised and were a little mad that she could sit there and they couldn't.

So, I say around 13, so they can get used to seeing the road before they start driving.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/airbags_teens.html

The study found that children 14 and younger were at high risk for serious injury from air bags when they sat in the front passenger seat during car crashes.

In contrast, air bags had a protective effect for teens aged 15-18. And the study showed that age may be a better indicator of risk from air-bag injury than height or weight.

....several body changes that take place during puberty, including muscle mass, bone density and bone-mineral content, may help explain why body size alone isn't a good measurement of risk from the air bags in children.

Kecia

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Thanks for that article, Kecia...I had seen it before but haven't been able to find it and have been feeling like I've been making up the 'up to age 15' number...phew, glad my memory is still good!

:thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC