What to do with my petite 12 yr old?

TN Mary

My 12 yr old DS has been very petite all his life (developmental disorder).

He's about 4'4 but is only about 55 lbs.

He's in a Compass booster (forget which one, but it's the one they first came out with). I noticed today that his shoulders are ABOVE the belt path guide... but his head is still withIN the shell (not above it). The seat is at its HIGHEST setting.

He doesn't pass the 5 pt test for using a regular seat belt.... the belt does fit nicely across his chest (below his neck) but when he sits all the way back, the backs of his knees don't meet the end of the seat. His feet don't touch the floor and dangle in the air.

Should I put him in a backless booster? Or get another backed one that has higher settings? Thanks....

ADS

skaterbabs

At that size, I'd go for a taller high back booster, perhaps the Sunshine Kids Monterey or the Britax Monarch.
Honestly, my eldest will be 12 in 2 months (July 26) and if there was a high back booster that fit him you can bet he would be using it. :twocents: CJ is not especially small (about 60th percentile), but he does not pass the 5 Step Test in some vehicles and still needs a booster. (We use a backless in vehicles with headrests.)

Honestly, the original Compass was pretty short, even the Graco Turbo Booster is taller. The newer Compass boosters are somewhat taller.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC