Bought a True Fit today

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
(I wonder if I can cancel a money order that i sent to Dearborn baby???????)
Why don't you call Dearborn Baby and tell them you'd like to cancel your order? If they haven't shipped it yet, I don't see it as being a problem. Call though, don't email, I find they are a bit slow with email.

Just talk to the place you purchased the money order first and ensure you can get a refund. It might involve putting a stop payment on (which will likely cost a few bucks). If you have the carbon copy receipt this will be easier for them. And of course they can only do this if Dearborn hasn't cashed the money order yet. For additional comfort, you could get Dearborn to mail you the money order back.

ADS

mommycat

So yeah, I bought one today. Our Zellers (Annapolis Valley in NS) had at least 4 boxes on the shelf (maybe more in storage) and I absconded with one of them. I am not 100% sure I will keep it, but I wanted to try it out as far as installing is concerned. If it doesn't fit well I may have to take it back.

Couple of comments from starting the manual:
- It says not to use it in a smaller extended cab truck. Am I right in assuming that an extended cab silverado does not count as a "compact" truck? It has what feels like a full seat, not just a bench. I might call the 800 number to double check.
- It says that if you have side air bags which are anything other than roof mounted side curtain airbags, you need to refer to car manual about carseat use, but I am not 100% sure it isn't saying not to use the seat if you have these air bags... can anyone else have a look and chime in on my interpretation, please? I have to wait until DH comes home to check the car manual, but I want to know anyway, for future reference. Thanks.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
So yeah, I bought one today. Our Zellers (Annapolis Valley in NS) had at least 4 boxes on the shelf (maybe more in storage) and I absconded with one of them. I am not 100% sure I will keep it, but I wanted to try it out as far as installing is concerned. If it doesn't fit well I may have to take it back.

Couple of comments from starting the manual:
- It says not to use it in a smaller extended cab truck. Am I right in assuming that an extended cab silverado does not count as a "compact" truck? It has what feels like a full seat, not just a bench. I might call the 800 number to double check.
- It says that if you have side air bags which are anything other than roof mounted side curtain airbags, you need to refer to car manual about carseat use, but I am not 100% sure it isn't saying not to use the seat if you have these air bags... can anyone else have a look and chime in on my interpretation, please? I have to wait until DH comes home to check the car manual, but I want to know anyway, for future reference. Thanks.

If you have a full size bench in the back and not just one of the skinny ones it's ok.
As for the air bags, roof rail/side curtain airbags are fine, and telling parents to check in regards to side air bags is good advice as Transport Canada has a warning about that.

Almost all vehicles are coming with the roof rail/curtain airbags for back seat occupants - those are the kind that deploy downwards from the roof right against the window. The kind of airbags that there is possible concern about having a child restraint next to is side ones that deploy forward from the side edge of the seat. Front passenger seats typically have side torso airbags in addition to the front airbags and roof rail/side curtain airbags run the entire length of the vehicle. So most new vehicles are coming with what they term 6 airbags. There's probably some higher end vehicles utilizing side torso airbags in the back still, but I'm not familiar with them off the top of my head. Side curtain in the norm and is perfectly safe for child restraints to be next to due to the way they deploy down against the window/door and not out from the side of the seat.

Top harness height on the True Fit is 18" BTW.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
There's probably some higher end vehicles utilizing side torso airbags in the back still, but I'm not familiar with them off the top of my head.
When we were vehicle shopping several months ago, it seemed that most MB models came with the side torso air bags in the rear seats and BMW offered it as optional (and if you get them on a BMW, they come DEactivated and you must get the dealer to activate them). Those were the only 2 we looked at where they were available. We didn't check out Volvo or Audi though.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I just called the bank and yes I can stop payment. What do you all think? should I get the TF insted of the MA?
Have you tried the Marathon in person? If so, and you like the True Fit better, then yes, get the True Fit. If not, do you have a local store where you can try the Marathon today? A local baby boutique or a ToysRUs/Babies R Us?

I've got a Marathon sitting at home right now and I am buying the True Fit as soon as it gets here to compare. What I love about the Marathon is that it's easy to install, seems comfy for DD and it tethers RF. I don't like the 32" RF limit (although I would ignore it), I don't like that the harness is finicky to do up and involves a lot of tugging and when I do get it tight it still looks loose, and I'd prefer a higher RF weight limit.

horseymom

Have you tried the Marathon in person? If so, and you like the True Fit better, then yes, get the True Fit. If not, do you have a local store where you can try the Marathon today? A local baby boutique or a ToysRUs/Babies R Us?

I've got a Marathon sitting at home right now and I am buying the True Fit as soon as it gets here to compare. What I love about the Marathon is that it's easy to install, seems comfy for DD and it tethers RF. I don't like the 32" RF limit (although I would ignore it), I don't like that the harness is finicky to do up and involves a lot of tugging and when I do get it tight it still looks loose, and I'd prefer a higher RF weight limit.

I did go and try a MA today as well. I like it, but like the SIP and the 35 RF limit better on the TF.
So I went down to the bank and they won't let me cancel th money order! :mad: they said dearborn has to send it back to me first :mad::mad: sooo soo mad!
I also found the MA hard to get tight :rolleyes:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I did go and try a MA today as well. I like it, but like the SIP and the 35 RF limit better on the TF.
I like the SIP on the True Fit as well, especially for my parents vehicle. I'd like to compare it with the Boulevard, but can't wait that long for another seat, so my choices are True Fit or Marathon.

So I went down to the bank and they won't let me cancel th money order! :mad: they said dearborn has to send it back to me first :mad::mad: sooo soo mad!
No way! Really? That sucks! It doesn't make much sense though, what if the money order was LOST? You wouldn't exactly have the original and you would want it canceled obviously. Did you cancel the order with Dearborn yet? and did they say they would send you the money order?

Are you able to purchase the True Fit without having the money back for the MA first?

I also found the MA hard to get tight :rolleyes:
Apparently there are a couple of tricks that make it easier. One is to buckle one side, then tighten, then buckle the other side. This didn't make much of a difference, if any, for me. The other trick is to NOT loosen the harness each time. My parents and I both find it difficult to bend a squiggling toddler's arms into a seat if the straps aren't loosened, so I like to use the design feature of being able to loosen the straps.

horseymom

No, I can't buy it with out, were kind of in tight right now, that's why it's making me so mad. I was stupid and said it had already be mailed off, so I coun't even say that it was "lost". I'm just worried that they will sell out. I need one for sure before june 25th ds is going to be put under to have a procedure done and it's a long drive to the hospital (2+ hrs) so he needs a good seat to sleep in and his AO is NOT a good seat to sleep in at all!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
No, I can't buy it with out, were kind of in tight right now, that's why it's making me so mad. I was stupid and said it had already be mailed off, so I coun't even say that it was "lost". I'm just worried that they will sell out. I need one for sure before june 25th ds is going to be put under to have a procedure done and it's a long drive to the hospital (2+ hrs) so he needs a good seat to sleep in and his AO is NOT a good seat to sleep in at all!
Well maybe you could say you canceled the order with the store, so they destroyed the money order and see what they say? Can't hurt to call the bank and ask...then you can always get DearBorn to destroy it.

Airforcemomma

Ok, here's the pic's installed for those interested as well as pic's of the back and side that were requested by a PP. I am sorry about the size I can not figure out how to make them smaller.

I will try to post some with just the link

Installed center rear bench
DSC01481.jpg

This is what the belt through the belt path looked like with the first install and not being able to close lock off
DSC01479.jpg

New install lock off is closed
DSC01478.jpg

Bottom of seat for those who asked
DSC01477.jpg

Back of seat.CLICK THE LINK
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/airforcemomma_photos/car seat pics/DSC01476.jpg

Side view CLICK THE LINK
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii68/airforcemomma_photos/car seat pics/DSC01475.jpg

If there are any other photo requests let me know and I will take some more

Lock off was very easy to use once I figured out how to go about it.....I pulled the LS belt out but not all the way, buckled the belt, kneeled in the seat and tightened, then closed the lock off and let the belt retract. 2 tries like that and its in tight. If you hold the buckled end of the lap portion of the belt while it is tightening I was able to keep it from going lower down in the belt path. I had thought the whole lock off went over the belt..not the case..it only goes over half the belt and pushes the belt down onto a little nodule type thing then the red part locks down on top of the belt.

Overall, not to bad to install, but more difficult then our MA.

hipmaman

Hey Airforcemomma,

So your seatbelt cannot fit totally in the ff lock-off? Is it the width of the seatbelt too wide or is it because the seatbelt is too far forward to fit totally in the lock-off?

My Odyssey captain chair seatbelt fits fine through the ff lock-off. This picture shows the UAS strap but my seatbelt can fit in just like that http://picasaweb.google.com/hipmaman/Carseats2008/photo#5205852630886654546
Which vehicle is yours?

Airforcemomma

Hey Airforcemomma,

So your seatbelt cannot fit totally in the ff lock-off? Is it the width of the seatbelt too wide or is it because the seatbelt is too far forward to fit totally in the lock-off?

My Odyssey captain chair seatbelt fits fine through the ff lock-off. This picture shows the UAS strap but my seatbelt can fit in just like that http://picasaweb.google.com/hipmaman/Carseats2008/photo#5205852630886654546
Which vehicle is yours?
OH,your's looks completely different then mine. No, I wasn't able to fit the width of the belt in the lock off...I must be doing something wrong.

My vehicle his an 07 Pontiac Montana SV6

mommycat

It looks maybe like you didn't flip the yellow part open to put the belt under it? Or am I just not getting what your picture is showing?

U

Unregistered

I bought a True Fit today too. I just went to look. I didn't really think I would find one but there was one lone seat sealed in a box on the shelf at the Kitchener, Ontario Laurentian Power Center store so I snapped it up. The didn't have any on display. I was afraid that if I waited to decide what seat to buy (I have been debating and waiting for the Frontier, Nautilus & True Fit) that I would have a hard time finding one since stock seems to be so limited. I may or may not return it if the Frontier or Nautilus turn up soon. Another lady was there eyeing up a cheap looking AOE beside me so we got in a conversation about that seat compared to the True Fit. Part way through our conversation she mentions that she is a registered car seat tech. She was totally clueless and I a non-car seat tech was helping her. Of course I bought the only TF but she was just looking as her baby was still a ways away from outgrowing his infant seat. She seemed impressed by the TF and it's features so hopefully she comes back and buys one instead of the AOE. We ended up opening the box and taking the seat out and looking at it in the store. It was Zellers after all and there were no salespeople around anywhere to stop us. My first impression was that it seemed very sturdy. Much sturdier than the flimsy Apex65 that I bought but am returning. I also liked the Misty Morning fabric colours much better in person than in the photos I saw on-line. In fact I don't think the photos and the real thing were the same at all. I put my 8 month old in it and he was on the 2nd harness slots and seemed pretty comfy. I also tried my 5 yr old in it and she was on the 3rd harness slot. The only thing I don't like so far is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of room in the crotch area. There are 2 crotch buckle settings and I had it on the outer one but it still seemed kind on tight. It wasn't too terrible but could be a problem for a boy. I haven't installed it in the van yet so I may have more to say after that.

hipmaman

It looks maybe like you didn't flip the yellow part open to put the belt under it? Or am I just not getting what your picture is showing?

Yup, that looks like what Airforcemomma did.

The ff lock-off is a two-step mechanism. Lift the red part up and then pull the whole thing forward to completely flip the yellow part out. You should then see the red bottom, insert the seatbelt or UAS, then reverse the whole process to have the lock-off closed.

Edit to say 'two-step' instead of 'two-part' to avoid confusion with wrong choice of word

Last edited:

Airforcemomma

AAAHHHH, I tried to open the yellow part but couldn't so I figured it wasn't supposed to open. I am going to have to get this figured out this morning.....hopefully I can getn it right.

I'm still doing everything one handed because of my broken hand so getting the seat installed was difficult to begin with....I will be so glad when DH comes home on the 8th.

I will try it again, take another pic and have you guys check it.

What would I do without all you smart car seat momma's?

Yup, that looks like what Airforcemomma did.

The ff lock-off is a two-part mechanism. Lift the red part up and then pull the whole thing forward to completely flip the yellow part out. You should then see the red bottom, insert the seatbelt or UAS, then reverse the whole process to have the lock-off closed.

mommycat

I have to say that I am not sure I could install this seat one handed! The yellow part is attached to the red flap. It took me a minute to figure it out. You need to flip the red up and then use it to pull the yellow part open while keeoing it flipped - watch where the red part is hooked under as you open it - it was a little tricky to get back under those ledges for me because the little plastic nubby thing on the lapbelt section landed right next to the yellow flange, making it hard to close. I was lucky it didn't land mid-lockoff!

Airforcemomma

Ok, thanks for all your good info....I think I finally have it right this time.

If it still doesn't look right let me know.

DSC01483.jpg

I feel awful having driven DD around in the seat with the belt through the lock off wrong.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC