Combi replacement base available yet?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
According to the notice on TC's website Combi had a repair kit available when the recall notice was released. I've never seen a Combi seat around here, so have no clue as to whether or not owners have received them yet or not. I'm also not sure what the fix is, since the recall notice doesn't sound like they're replacing the whole base - although I think that's what they did for the US recall?

Don't know how much that helps, but I'd hope that the repair kits are out since the recall was beginning of March. :shrug-shoulders:

canadiangie

I have a DX. It's been in retirement since the recall, but I'd like to get the repair kit. I've tried to call, and tried to call, and tried to call, but I've gotten no where. They're 2hrs ahead of me and so I have to call in the am, then usually get put on hold, then they take my name and number, but no one has calls me back. Apparantly I'm on a "list" so when the repair kit (the rep said it was a new base, but that could have changed), is available they'll send it to me. Well nothing yet...

I don't need my seat, and I know I can use it baseless... I guess I'm just sort of wondering you know... I dunno. :confused:

Thanks for you help,

MOM25BOYS

I am in the US and called during the recall. I was supposed to have a "repair kit" mailed to me within 6-8 weeks. That was in the first week of March and I haven't seen anything yet!:(

snowbird25ca

Angie - I'd call TC on Monday and talk to them. It's the manufacturer's responsibility to provide a repair kit in a timely manner. If they're not responding to you, maybe they'll respond to pressure from TC. (TC usually takes a few days to return phone calls, and I don't have the contact # for child restraint issues. I think when I called many years ago I just used the contact us # off the web site, but I'm not sure.)

It's disappointing to hear that repair kits aren't being sent to parents after this long has passed. Did you receive a notice from Combi at least? (I'm assuming you'd registered the seat, so you should've at the very least received a written notice - if you haven't then Combi isn't following proper procedure for recalls either.)

canadiangie

Elizabeth,

Were you told it was some sort of kit, or was it a new base??

I remember calling Combi the day of that TC (transport canada) released the recall notification and talked to a Very confused rep who told me it would be an entirely new base. My question was how they could design and then test and then ship to customers an entirely new base in 6-8wks. Seemed weird to me.

Glad I'm not the only one who has seen nothing come in the mail... well, not glad, but sort of relieved I'm not the only person left wondering.

I'm about *5 minutes* away from proclaiming Combi a horrible company to deal with. :thumbsdown:

canadiangie

Trudy,

I admit to not registering the seat. :eek:

I guess I just figure I'm enough in the loop that I hear about recalls faster than any notification can arrive. I know, that's bad. But as it is/was I heard about the recall from Heather (murphydog) on babycenter one day before TC announced it. She was obviously posting the notice more for the US mama's, but of course, there it was, "applies to all seats..." and then boom, the next day on the 6pm news, the TC notification.

Anyway, I will call TC on Monday. Joyous as it will be, I'll venture down that road as it seems my only hope.

snowbird25ca

Trudy,

I admit to not registering the seat. :eek:

I guess I just figure I'm enough in the loop that I hear about recalls faster than any notification can arrive. I know, that's bad. But as it is/was I heard about the recall from Heather (murphydog) on babycenter one day before TC announced it. She was obviously posting the notice more for the US mama's, but of course, there it was, "applies to all seats..." and then boom, the next day on the 6pm news, the TC notification.

Anyway, I will call TC on Monday. Joyous as it will be, I'll venture down that road as it seems my only hope.

I'm sure you know this already, but just for the benefit of others, registering seats is still a good thing to do even if you are on top of recalls. Some companies - and this is especially the case with Britax, basically start shipping recall kits to registered owners at the same time the recall is issued. So people who register their seats beforehand, will in many cases get the repair kit before someone who calls after hearing the recall. It's awesome being in the loop, but still always good to register the seat. :thumbsup:

And yeah, I understand the hesitation to venture down the calling TC path, but it's probably going to be the most effective since you're not getting anywhere with Combi. It is rather disappointing on the customer service front. If they didn't have a fix yet when the recall was issued, then that should've been stated in the recall. I think consumers would appreciate being told "hey, we found this out, haven't figured out how to fix it yet, but don't use your base in the meantime" instead of being given the run around and being led to believe that a fix is available but that they're not being sent it...

Interesting statistic, just because it really shocked me when I was told it in class, is that only 3% of people who buy car seats register their seats. That's a whole lot of people who don't register - and most don't follow recalls the same way as we do. I wonder if TC ever releases statistics on affected seats and repaired seats. There's always an estimate given of # of units affected and manufacturers are required to report to TC the number of seats that have been repaired based on the issuance of fix kits, but I'd be curious to know how those numbers match up and how many recalled seats remain in daily use. (random thought of the day ;))

canadiangie

Yeah, like I said, I'm sort of :eek: about it.

What happened is that MIL threw the reg card out with the other "tags" she thought were garbage (thankfully she knew to keep the manual) and I did call the 1-800 number on the bottom of the seat and attempt to register the seat over the phone, but the 1-800 number didn't take me to the appropriate call centre. So then I went online and saw that in order to register it online I needed to enter every last scrap of personal info about myself (name, address, email, blah, blah) and just didn't want to. I just didn't feel like having my personal info on the web -- yet again, kwim? So I just sort of let it slide.

All of my other seats ARE registered. I've had a total of 4 infant carriers now and all but the DX are in my name. And of course my convertibles are registered.

Now when I called about the first Combi recall relating to the UAS strap I attemted to register my seat, but the rep wasn't sure where to input the information and said I needed to call back. She did however send me the replacement UAS strap (alligator connectors now, rather than standard -- yay!).

Which takes me to now.

I can't get ahold of these people (well they answer the phone, but can't seem to give me a straight answer), and by the time I hang up I've forgotten yet again to confirm if my seat was ever registered or if still need to have that done.

Sooooo, long story short, I'd LOVE to a) register my seat, b) get a repair kit, and c) give them my .02 cents about their crappy CS.

Love to, really, I promise.

MOM25BOYS

I was told it was a kit to fix the problem.:( I was told nothing about a base, but I didn't ask either. Sorry I can't help anymore in that area, but I finally got tired of waiting for the kit and bought DS a new seat a week before he came. Not to say I thought the seat was unsafe, but didn't want to take any chances, KWIM.:) Good Luck with yours.

Elizabeth,

Were you told it was some sort of kit, or was it a new base??

I remember calling Combi the day of that TC (transport canada) released the recall notification and talked to a Very confused rep who told me it would be an entirely new base. My question was how they could design and then test and then ship to customers an entirely new base in 6-8wks. Seemed weird to me.

Glad I'm not the only one who has seen nothing come in the mail... well, not glad, but sort of relieved I'm not the only person left wondering.

I'm about *5 minutes* away from proclaiming Combi a horrible company to deal with. :thumbsdown:

canadiangie

Hey, I understand. Like I said, my seat went into "retirement" the day of the recall.

Funny story...

I had bought an SS1 for my sister's new baby (who was born today actually!) and had it sitting here. When the Combi recall hit I promptly called her to ask if she'd mind me "test driving" her new seat (supposed to be a gift lol) under the circumstances. She of course was fine with it, so I cracked the box, dove into "my" new seat, and used it for about 6wks until little dd was long enough in the torso to go into the MA.

So I don't actually need the repair kit either, but certainly would like it...

MOM25BOYS

Same here.:) I bought a SS1 for him, but I was not fond of the way it fit him being he was soooo tiny and 2 weeks early. Well, I had lent my Snugride to a friend and never thought I would see it again, until she showed up 4 weeks ago with it!:D I hadn't expired yet so I sold the SS1 and put him into the Snugride until he can fit good in his MA. I would like the kit too, that way I could resell the seat with the recall fixed.;)

melissainbc

Every day for the past week I've been meaning to call Combi about this! I won't bother now that I know others haven't gotten their "repair kit" yet.

We used our seat (the ST) with the seatbelt for 6 weeks until I just couldn't do it anymore. Too hard for me with 2 other kids to get in the car and buckled. We bought dd a Scenera a couple of weeks ago and I wish we would have done it earlier. It would have saved me a LOT of grief!

Oh, and I hadn't registered my seat either. I had the card all filled out and I looked at it 2 days before the recall was announced and thought to myself, "I should REALLY send that in". LOL! I heard about the recall through babycenter's car seat board too so I stopped using the base immediately... and then I called in and registered my seat, LOL!

Melissa
dd1 11/01
dd2 9/04
dd3 1/08

canadiangie

Melissa,

Wow, you made it 6wks baseless?? I didn't even make it 6 days lol... actually I don't think I even made it for 6 minutes. :p

It sounds like Combi has really dropped the ball on this one. :thumbsdown:

I'll call on Monday (both to Combi and TC) and see where that takes me.

I'll be sure to post what I find out.

melissainbc

I called today and was told that they were supposed to get the bases last week but there was a delay. They should get them this week and they will be shipped right out... we'll see!

canadiangie

I still haven't had a chance to call. :eek:

So it's a new base?? As in a totally new base, and not a "repair kit" of some sort?

If you don't mind, what number did you call?

melissainbc

From what I understood it's a new base but you know how those customer services reps can be, LOL!

Here's the number I called 1 800 667 8184

If you get a different answer let us know! I'm hoping that this gets resolved quickly, I was going to pass on my seat to a good friend that is due next month. If I don't see a base/repair kit/letter in the next 7 business days I'll be calling again and demanding more answers! Should have just tried to return the thing when first happened :(

Melissa

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
Hey there. I spoke to Barb at TC and she has just received two fix kits - they are not bases, it's two springs that have to be added to the base. She is trying to find out when they will be available to be sent out but did say that if she has the kit then they should be mailing them to the registered owners within days.

canadiangie

Springs.

Well, I'm trying to keep an open mind here, but I don't like the sound of that.

I'm calling right now. (thanks for the phone # op)

>>>>>>>>>

me: explain why I'm calling, ask about repair kit, give info and model number (again). CS works on computer, of course puts me on hold for 5 mins. she comes back...

CS rep: it's a new base

me: a new base or a fix kit?

CS: it's a new base

me: are you sure?

CS: let me go check, but I'm sure it's a new base, hold on

me: ok

CS: ok, your model being a '07 will get a kit.

me: so some models will have a new base then??

CS: yes. models that are previous to 2005 will get a new base, but yours just needs a kit.

me: kay. so when is it available?

CS: we hope in the next few days.

me: okay, will it be mailed?

CS: yes.

me: thank you.

CS: have a nice day.

Well folks, there it is.

Models that are pre '05 will get a new base, and those born after '05 ('06?) will get a "kit"... apparantly some "springs" per pp.

hth's

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC