Frontier....good & bad

Heather98012

Ok, I am ready to cry!!! We got our Frontier (the first one) over a week ago, but because we left on the 16th for vacation, we hadn't installed it yet.

Today my dh got a great install using LBP in his '01 Toyota Sequoia. It moved more than 1", but that was before the tether was connected. Once the tether was connected it moved maybe 1/4-1/2" which is acceptable, correct?

But, my car...which my dd rides in like, 90% of the time...we CANNOT get it installed using either the LBP or SBP!!! We didn't even try LATCH, as she is 38 lbs. I AM SO UPSET!!!

Any tips or advice? I drive a '05 Hyundai Tuscon. I don't think my car has reclining seats, but I'll check the manual to make sure. I was helping him by holding the seat belt extended as far as it would go, while he put all his weight into the seat...& we still came up short by about 1/2" in length. UGH....that is so frustrating!

I love this seat & really want it to work. So much so that I am just considering trading my car in at this point (it's paid off). Well, I mean, we were considering a new car for me next year anyway, so maybe I ought to just do it now. But I really, really would love this to work in my current ride. Any advice would be appreciated.

Note: I'll call Britax first thing on Monday!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Frontier was incompatible in my car as well. Both long and short.

The tether is supposed to reduce head excursion, not be help in getting the installation correct. If you had more than an inch of movement before you attached the tether (more than an inch at the beltpath) then you need to reinstall it. It's not yet acceptable. The tether can take it from wiggling a bit to wiggling a bit less, but not to the point where you're relying on it for an acceptable installation.

I hope you're able to get it in in both of your cars.

Wendy

tiggercat

Today my dh got a great install using LBP in his '01 Toyota Sequoia. It moved more than 1", but that was before the tether was connected. Once the tether was connected it moved maybe 1/4-1/2" which is acceptable, correct?

What Wendy said for this, the 1 inch must be measured at the belt path before you attach the tether.
I was helping him by holding the seat belt extended as far as it would go, while he put all his weight into the seat...& we still came up short by about 1/2" in length. UGH....that is so frustrating!

When you were trying to get it buckled, did he try pushing it back towards the rear of the vehicle with his knees before putting his weight into the seat? Sometimes this improves the angle and gives you an extra bit of belt. Also, have have him try rocking back and forth while you pull on the buckle to see if you can rock some more length out of it (he can hold the shoulder belt at the retractor while rocking, btdt a few times). I think sometimes with LBP installs it can take a few tries to figure out the right angles to get enough belt.

Heather98012

The tether is supposed to reduce head excursion, not be help in getting the installation correct. If you had more than an inch of movement before you attached the tether (more than an inch at the beltpath) then you need to reinstall it.

Wendy

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Actually, at the belt path, there was less than 1" (I'm assuming you mean where the belt goes into the back of the seat, correct?). It was more the top portion of the seat that moved....& TBH, it may or may not have been more than 1". I'll need him to try again & measure to be sure.

Thanks so far for the additional tips. I'm still crossing my fingers, as I adore this seat. If not, I'll be back to the drawing board, & I've been obsessing over our next seat for 6 months now!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC