Framed backpack advice please!

ADS

solmama

We have the Kelty Backcountry (now the Pathfinder, I think). Our dd loved it; for about 18 mos it was all she would ride in. She even preferred it to a stroller, for the better view. It came with a sun/rain hood we didn't think we'd use, but came in handy quite often. While this model is a bit pricey the one thing that separates it from the others is it has adjustable torso height which is great (my dh is very long torsoed and I'm not).

All that being said, my ds does not like the Kelty carrier. He'll ride in it for 10 minutes and then he's "done." Of course, he gets down and then wants me to carry him. Argh! I just ordered a soft-structured carrier for him that I *hope* he'll ride in.

The Journey is on sale at amazon.com for $100...a great deal! It doesn't have the sun/rain hood or the nifty backpack attached like the Pathfinder ($150).

Good luck!

Dillipop

We have a kelty, too and have enjoyed it. It has the adjustable torso height and the sun/rain hood. It also came with a little backpack, which we use all the time for the kids.

PHaley

Yes go with the Keltys if for no other reason the torso adjustments. I have a frame carrier I bought before dgd1 was born that was expensive and highly rated but I've never been able to get a perfect fit. Last week I ordered the Kelty Transit 3.0 from mystrollers.com and its very cool. We will use it for the first all day field trip tomorrow to the Memorial Day parade and activities. I like the transit because if she does want down it closes up into a regular backpack instead of me carrying an empty child carrier :) If you have an outdoor store near you I'd go try a few first that really helped me. Good luck!

skaterbabs

My suggestion would be to get "more" carrier than you think you'll need, and get the highest weight rating to you can. In my experience (including just last weekend when I was wishing I had one!) your child will likely outgrow the smaller ones years before you run out of events in which one is useful or necessary.

Joy is 45 lbs and I'm still trying to convince dh to get me a bigger one for use at baseball/football games. :whistle:

starbuck22

Senior Community Member
We have the Kelty pathfinder because DH needed the 22" torso. DH loves it and DS will do well for 1hr trips or so. At any rate he'll stay in that much longer than the stroller. Definitely worth it.

thepote

Hey Firemom,
We have the Kelty Ridgeline (don't know what the current model is called). It has the sun hood and bug net... you are welcome to borrow it if you want to check it out. :thumbsup:

carseatkelly

CPS Technician
I like the Kelty carriers or also the ones made by a German company called Deuter. I wouldn't go with the Phil and Teds one - when I've used it I didn't find it as comfortable or compact as the others.

firemomof3

We actually ended up buying a Kelty framed backpack, the back country I think. Its working out great! Thanks for all the great advice!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC