Why can't our seats have these features?

featherhead

I was on the Maxi-Cosi website, cause I'm interested in the Mico for our next baby. I checked out the other countries to see what kind of car seats they have. The Tobi has some really cool features... It has an indicator to tell you if the harness is tight enough. I think that would help more parents realize how tight it really needs to be. Also, you don't need to push a button or lift a lever to loosen the harness. When the harness is unbuckled, the harness can be loosened or tightened just by pulling on it. After it is buckled, it can't be loosened anymore. It also looks like the shoulder pads are attached to the seat, so when you open the buckle, the straps lift up and to the side(hard to explain), so your kid isn't going to be sitting on the buckles when you put them in their seat. Are there actually any seats in Canada or the US that have these features?

ADS

Mommy2Marcus

WOW! That does sound nice! I wish some of our seats had better features. We are lucky I guess for them to have the features they have really!

Lucysmom

omg. is it wrong to want to have another baby and move to australia just for the super-cool maxi cosi toby? :D

1Sept3Dec

Senior Community Member
I watched that youtube video and was AMAZED. I have never seen a seat installed like that! At first I was like, how the heck does putting the belt around the front help? And then when they pulled it over the top and had those awesome lock offs... DROOL... :love:

Seriously, what country is that seat from? When can we get one here???

Rosey

Mixed reviews about the stiff straps. http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/reviews/product.asp?id=372
http://daddytypes.com/2006/06/22/tobi_or_not_tobi_that_is_one_carseat_buyers_question.php

.......okay, so I am only reading the negative reviews to ward off envy.......And it should irritate everyone that the seat is FF only and recommended from 9mos-4yrs or 20-40lbs.

And whatever you do, don't look at all the cute color options http://shop.babyworld.co.uk/DisplayDetail.aspx?which=981 I want the Cabrio infant carrier though. Tons of side impact.

mamabear

The way that seat installs, looks like it could eliminate some of the "errors" parents make (too loose of install), with all of those lock offs. Also, with the shoulder portion of the seatbelt going over the back of the seat it almost seems like it acts sort of like a top tether...........

Plus the "correct harness tightness" light...
It's like carseat for dummies!

That is the bomb!

Wineaux

I am thoroughly convinced that the first car seat manufacturer that pairs up with Tempur-Pedic and creates a line of car seats that has Tempur-Pedic memory foam (Graco-Pedic just isn't the real deal...) in it, as well as EPS, will sell more car seats than they can make. Heck, you might not even need the EPS foam, as the Tempur-Pedic foam was actually designed by NASA to help cushion the astronauts bodies from all the g-forces that they encountered during liftoff/reentry! Yeah, the seats would cost more, but we've seen that there are lots of folks willing to pay more for added safety/comfort.

Mommy2Marcus

I watched the video & LOVE the seat except for ONE thing. It is being reccomended to FF a 9 month old! :eek: I would never FF a 9 month old. This seat is great for everything except that fact, well & the fact that it only goes to 40lbs. Does it aggrivate or make them mad about them saying it is appropriate to put a 9 month old in that seat FF?

Jessie78

I watched the video & LOVE the seat except for ONE thing. It is being reccomended to FF a 9 month old! :eek: I would never FF a 9 month old. This seat is great for everything except that fact, well & the fact that it only goes to 40lbs. Does it aggrivate or make them mad about them saying it is appropriate to put a 9 month old in that seat FF?

Unfortunately Aussie carseat manufacturers don't share America's views on ERF, or indeed RF even to 1 :(

teekadog

Those are some neat features, but it's a ffing only seat for little ones-- my 5yo would have outgrown it before she was ffing in her Marathon. If an overseas car seat concept were to take hold here, I'd want a rfing seat for big kids!

featherhead

Yeah, the FF at 9 months isn't good. But if we had these features on our Canadian/US seats... it would be really nice.

cookie123

I also wonder about cleaning the straps. I didn't read all the reviews, though, there may have been something said!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I am thoroughly convinced that the first car seat manufacturer that pairs up with Tempur-Pedic and creates a line of car seats that has Tempur-Pedic memory foam (Graco-Pedic just isn't the real deal...) in it, as well as EPS, will sell more car seats than they can make.
Can't remember where I read it now, but I thought that memory foam was some of the most toxic and due to that, the worst foam to have a baby laying on or sitting in. Has anyone else read it and remember where and if it was a valid study?

fyrfightermomma

They only FF to about 9 months there, so it does fit their guidelines perfectly....just not ours!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC