Called Compass again regarding RFing angle

tl01

I just called them again to see if they had changed their stance on the RFing angle. The person I spoke with said that they had just had a talk with the seat engineer that I had spoken to a little while ago and that the stance has NOT changed. We must follow the guidelines in the manual since that is how the seat has been tested. She said that whoever gave out that info about the RFing angle being more flexible is wrong and that they will work on making sure everyone understands that. In addition, I went over with this rep why I think the 45 degree angle is unreasonable for a toddler and she said they are not taking suggestions at this time. I said that that is ridiculous and that they should listen b/c it is in the best interests of their company and the children in the seat that they retest the seat at a lesser angle.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
So the common sense juice in the water cooler was counteracted with the stupidity powder in the air conditioner, I guess.
:eek:

jubgulia

Okay, I just called Compass. They said that a lot of people have been calling about this and it is safe to have the seat with the headrest on at a more upright angle. They said it should be at 45* without the headrest, but with the headrest recline it to whatever angle the car will allow as long as the child has good head control.

4boysmom

Makes me more at ease that I sold my TF... I had install issues at the belt path when rearfacing and have had twinges of sellers remorse because I wanted to love it but this recline angle thing would drive me batty!!! It also seemed like the straps may have been twisty really fast (of course I am used to Britax so my POR is a bit off :))

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Okay, I just called Compass. They said that a lot of people have been calling about this and it is safe to have the seat with the headrest on at a more upright angle. They said it should be at 45* without the headrest, but with the headrest recline it to whatever angle the car will allow as long as the child has good head control.

That makes the most sense yet actually. Anyone else want to call and see if the same answer is being given now that they've had a meeting? :cool:

crunchierthanthou

I just called them again to see if they had changed their stance on the RFing angle. The person I spoke with said that they had just had a talk with the seat engineer that I had spoken to a little while ago and that the stance has NOT changed. We must follow the guidelines in the manual since that is how the seat has been tested. She said that whoever gave out that info about the RFing angle being more flexible is wrong and that they will work on making sure everyone understands that.

ugh. should we all call? I wonder how many different answers we can get? you'd think only two or three, but CS reps have a way pulling things out of their... anyway. I know which answer I want to believe, but can't decide which one I should. :rolleyes:

Mommy2Marcus

WOW! This is making my head spin about this seat & I do NOT even own one. Man would I be crazy if I did. I personally though would just install it more upright & be done with it as I would have to have the headrest. Hopefully someone gets a clear cut answer for sure one way or the other.

Sorry you all are having to go through this that own the seat!

tl01

ugh. should we all call? I wonder how many different answers we can get? you'd think only two or three, but CS reps have a way pulling things out of their... anyway. I know which answer I want to believe, but can't decide which one I should. :rolleyes:

The only thing I can say is that the person I spoke to was not a CSR but someone else higher up the chain. Perhaps the word about this not being acceptable has not been fully explained to those at the CSR level. The person I spoke to said that they had just had a meeting regarding this issue and that the decision was to follow the manual completely as that is how the seat was tested.

aisraeltax

i called yesterday and heard that yes, they can be at a lesser angle...then was told that i could just stop using the head rest (over 22 lbs) and then was told "oh no, you cant do that after 22 lbs. thats right....just turn him around FF if he's over 22 lbs".

whatever. we have yet to use these seats. i am so glad that they arent my primary seats. im just so upset that if i can convince them to take the seats back and pay return shipping, im going to do it. im way too anal to use these seats against the manuf's recommendation...every time i look at it i will think that (as it is now,its installed in partners car and every time i look at it i cringe).

as far as im concerned, its not even about the seats anymore..its about the customer service and response (they were supposed to return my call today and did not).

ZephyrBlue

I installed our TF RF today for my friend's 16mo who weighs 21lbs. It was really upright, but I was totally comfortable using it that way. I hope TF gets their act together soon, they're starting to sound like Recaro in the early Como days :rolleyes:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Ok I have once again emailed Tamara. I will let you know as soon as I hear something back.
Hi Tamara,
There is a lot of mis information being given out in reguards to the angle of the True Fit in the rear facing psotion.

One lady has spoke with a engineer who told her NO WAY to any other angle other than 45 degrees. This is the same that you told me.

However, the CS reps are telling people that it is ok to use it at more upright angle.

SOme oen definately need to decide which it is and tell the public somethng consistant.

Here is a link to one of the many threads about this:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=46746

Lisa
CPST-IC

aisraeltax

Im tired of calling. It seems like when I call, I get the opposite answers to my questions.

I just sent the following email.

I am exasperated by the purchase of 2 of your True Fit seats. I have called your company 3 times thus far in order to obtain answers to questions I have about installation of these seats. I have asked specifically about the fact that the requirement for a 45 degree angle is impossible in many cars after having to put the head rest on the seat (for a child over 22 lbs).

When I first called, I was told that it must be at a 45 degree angle. I called again and was told someone would return my call (no one did). I called a third time and this time I was shocked by the response. At first, I was told that there was no need to keep the car seat at a 45 degree angle (I was happy to hear this because from what I understand, for an older child, 45 degrees is not the safest angle). I was then told to remove the head rest for my child who was over 22 lbs. (I was told this twice until I questioned it and was finally able to get the customer service representative to admit that I shouldn't remove the head rest after 22 lbs. (wow! that is a basic feature of this seat). After going through all of this, the customer service representative suggested I "just turn him around" (referring to my son, and from all this representative knew, my son was only 22 lbs).

I purchased these seats to rear face until 35 lbs. I have waited several weeks now for Learning Curve to get their act together and address customers issues with installation. I do not see that happening. These seats can not be used at a 45 degree angle for many cars (yes, they will fit in the SUVs but there is also an issue of an older child being uncomfortable at a 45 degree angle). We purchased these seats for our second car.

I am not only disappointed in the seat itself (which we have not used due to this issue) but I am even more disappointed with customer service. I am a huge advocate of car seat safety. These are actually the only 2 seats that I have ever purchased other than Britax seats. I purchased these seats because they were marketed for rear facing up to 35 lbs, which is what our current primary seats are rated. Turning my 2 year old 25 lb. son forward facing is not the safest position for him and I refuse to compromise his safety.

I feel that Learning Curve should address customer's complaints and at least get their customer service representatives to tell people the same thing (a car seat safety board I am on has several people who have been told by Learning Curve representatives that they can install this seat at less than a 45 degree angle for older children).

I would like to return these seats. I feel that we are not able to use them as they were marketed, and for the purpose for which we intended to use them (primarily as 35 rear facing car seats until our children are 3 lbs.). I feel Learning Curve should also pay for return shipping of these 2 seats.

Please contact me for a resolution to this problem.

Thank you,
------------

im just exhausted from thinking about it. yes, its a parental decision but when a company addresses an issue like this, it should do so uniformly. they dont necessarily have to say what i want to hear, but i hate knowing they are telling some ppl one thing and others another thing and that they are recommending for me to turn my kid FF. I can understand ANYONE saying that to me EXCEPT the manufacturer of a car seat, yk?

Wineaux

OK, it sounds like we most definitely need to get The Learning Curve folks (including an engineer) on for a CEU Chat. We all like their seats, but we need some serious clarification here, and we need to let them know our hopes, concerns, and recommendations on those seats. These chats should be working both ways. We (CPST's and Manufacturers) should be learning from each other.

Darren, can we make this one happen ASAP please?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
OK, it sounds like we most definitely need to get The Learning Curve folks (including an engineer) on for a CEU Chat. We all like their seats, but we need some serious clarification here, and we need to let them know our hopes, concerns, and recommendations on those seats. These chats should be working both ways. We (CPST's and Manufacturers) should be learning from each other.

I'd love to talk with them, but I have a feeling that until they get their story straight, they're not going to want to come on here and put anything in writing. It would be fun though! (And likely frustrating :whistle:)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

Working on it...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC