Maam' You have your seat installed wrong!

:eek:
That is what I heard when I was at the gas station last night. A lady next to me was looking at my son through the window(i had his window down) and said..., "Excuse me, Maam you have your seat installed wrong"! You can't do that after 1 years old. You MUST turn them Forward facign at a year old.

I started telling her about ERF and EH and she just stood there like :eek: and said, "Fine, but your going to feel bad when your in an accident"! :mad:

I gave up and when she was pulling out I saw a barely 1 year old sitting FF in a seat with harness straps falling off :mad:!~!!! (this was in her car)

UGHHH!!!!

I mean sometimes when people see Logan Rear facing, they ask me why and then are like WOW! I didn't know that, that is good to know. Or sometimes I get the :eek: and get "Lady, your crazy"!

ADS

Mom2One+One

I've had the EXACT same thing happen!

Someone came up to me at Wal-Mart and said "Oh my gosh!! Honey, you HAVE to turn his car seat around!! Look at his legs, they are touching the seat!!"

I politely thanked her for her concern and explained to her that I was perfectly aware that his legs were touching the seat and that I was also aware that he was perfectly safe like he was.

I got the "lady, you're crazy" look as well....

Shaunam

What is WITH the feet touching the back thing? Seriously, my DD is not quite 8 months, only 26.5 inches and mostly torso (wears 24 month onesies) and HER feet already touch the back seat! I'm so sick of hearing that!

Ok, sorry, carry on....

Mommy2Marcus

I agree! I am SO sick of hearing people say it is dangerous for feet to touch the back of the seat! I wish people would educate themselves a little better before they tell me what I am doing wrong, but they probably think the same about me! Hehe

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I think I'll be carrying the brochure from cpsafety.com to give out to people like that. I"m sure i can find room for in my diaper bag.

Susan

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Oh goodness, that woman really didn't know what she was getting into did she? :D

Next time, tell her you'll gladly turn him back around if she would just please provide current research, and give her your email. :evil grin:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You know that right now she's posting on a message board:

"OMG! You'll never believe what I saw today! This woman at the gas station had this kid who was at LEAST two years old REAR-FACING!!!! I tried telling her the kid wasn't safe, but she wouldn't listen. Some people! I just hope I don't witness the crash where her kid gets his legs broken. Thank goodness I have little Miffy facing the right way. HER legs will be fine!"

At least we can hope that's what she's doing...and that maybe someone else will set her straight...

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
In that situation I would like to think I would just say "thanks for your concern, but I will be following the recommendations of the American Associan of Pediatrics." Big words scare people.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
In that situation I would like to think I would just say "thanks for your concern, but I will be following the recommendations of the American Associan of Pediatrics." Big words scare people.

:ROTFLMAO: Heehee, great come back, and I love the bolded section too. :p

Unbelievable how people get so caught up about legs when legs are one of the highest areas of injury in ff'ing seats, yet not when a child is rf'ing. A little research in the right places would make a lot of people change their tune I think. (Or at least I'd hope.)

I keep waiting for the day someone says something to me about ds, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe people are just too "polite" around here to bother saying anything and they just skip the telling the person and go straight to the tell the world part. :p

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I had similar would-be helpful strangers/moms tell me the same thing a couple of times about DD2, including one time when she was barely a year old. I thanked them for their concern and explained legs weren't a concern, and that it was safer and more protective to the neck and spine to rear face to the seat's RF weight limit, or until her head reached the true height limit relative to the top of the seat's shell, whichever came first. If anyone thought I was crazy, they kept that opinion to themselves. :p Alas it won't happen to us any more because DD2 reached 35 lbs. and I had to turn her FF this week. Adieu ERFing, we almost made it to DD2's third birthday next month.

BW1426

I was so happy to see that the new Parenting magazine has a blurb about RF as long as possible :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Alas it won't happen to us any more because DD2 reached 35 lbs. and I had to turn her FF this week. Adieu ERFing, we almost made it to DD2's third birthday next month.

I noticed that change in your siggy. How does she like FF?

Jeanum

Staff member
So far so good. DH drove her for a short jaunt last night, and I ran some errands today. She's commenting about stop signs, traffic lights, and other cars more and more now, pretty much like what her big sister did when she transitioned to FF, aka the backseat driver stage of carseats. :p

BookMama

Senior Community Member
aka the backseat driver stage of carseats. :p

Ah, THAT sounds like fun. :rolleyes:

I wonder if it's just the age, though. DD has recently started providing a running commentary of what she sees when we're in the car. "I see trees! Big trees! They have green leaves! I see a bike! Two bikes! With kids!" etc. etc. etc. (And yes, she's usually "exclaiming" as she narrates.)

Jeanum

Staff member
LOL Cute, but distracting for the driver, isn't it? DD2 also "discovered" kicking the front seat, another new FF hobby for her. :rolleyes: We're going to the zoo this weekend for a day trip, and I'm hoping she won't be too excited at the FF view to forgo napping in the car on the way home.

laurenrachey

aaawe you guys are so nice and pleasant! I totally would have shot my mouth off. The accident thing would have sent me over the edge. I probably would have said something like "well my kid might have a broken leg even though there are no documented cases but I would REALLY hate to see it if you were in an accident. Your child would be at risk for internal decapitation IF those loose straps even held her in. Why don't you check up on the AAP's recomendations. I swear there ought to be IQ testing for parenthood approval!" and then I would have left in a huff. But that's me. LOL. Thus a good reason I'm not a tech. I get too flabergasted with people like that :rolleyes:

littleangelfire

aaawe you guys are so nice and pleasant! I totally would have shot my mouth off. The accident thing would have sent me over the edge. I probably would have said something like "well my kid might have a broken leg even though there are no documented cases but I would REALLY hate to see it if you were in an accident. Your child would be at risk for internal decapitation IF those loose straps even held her in. Why don't you check up on the AAP's recomendations. I swear there ought to be IQ testing for parenthood approval!" and then I would have left in a huff. But that's me. LOL. Thus a good reason I'm not a tech. I get too flabergasted with people like that :rolleyes:

I'd be too flustered - I tend to have to take a few months to get over the person's bad info (no matter what the subject) and then lose the moment. And then go over and over and over it in my head later on and all the things I should have said.:doh:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I was so happy to see that the new Parenting magazine has a blurb about RF as long as possible :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I looked at it today at the doctor's office, but I had to stop because I read the circ blurb and the cosleeping article. :mad::mad:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC