A car seat vent!

U

Unregistered

I was at Babies R Us, getting boosters. The 2 Turbos and the Regent fit great across the back of my Sable wagon. :) They were out of the Parkway, and they only sold one color. Kinda disappointed...

Anyway, there were two women walking around the convertible car seat section, and the one lady was telling the other one how she always buys Evenflo seats, and that the 5 point harnesses are such a pain, and how her baby is 8 months and 20 pounds and she's probably going to turn her around FF at 10 months. ARGH! I hope this girl has a reliable source of info, becuase her friend was not! No wonder so many people use their seats wrong!

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I know, it's sad. I was talking to my friend yesterday and found out she's not been using the harness on her dd's seat (she's 2.5 and 25#) she's just been buckling her in in a booster seat! Um, hello! I sent her info this morning and I hope it's well received.

Tara

Doesn't that kind of thing just drive you crazy?
I like to linger in the car seat department, with my multitude of kids in tow LOL And hope someone will inquire about the seats as I make comments on X being easier to use than Y and stuff like that hehe

That 'informant' sounds a lot like a former friend of mine. She had her "large for her age" 3 yr old in a BPB...AFTER talking to me, fully aware I'm a car seat freak, about what seats would be best for her kids. Then when she came back bragging about her seat purchase, I quite bluntly said I couldn't believe she got *those* seats for her kids, especially the 3 yr old. She was ticked then, oh well LOL I tried to talk her out of them, to take the seats back..but she insisted her kids were mature enough to sit in them properly. Wrong!! I knew before I saw them in the seats they were incapable of such, but then I saw them. Yikes! And I'll just leave it at that.

But...ya know..she went on to rave about her seats, influencing her other friends. :( But nobody wants to listen to *me* about it.

Oh, sorry, I kinda rambled and went off on my own tangent hehe *blush*

U

Unregistered

I ALWAYS linger around the carseats for a while checking them out even though I know them by heart lol! Ive recently saved 4 children from bad carseat choices, 3 from overhead shields and 1 *almost* 2yo from a booster(and a bad booster at that!).

I cant not linger and offer my help, cause you can just tell who is clueless about seats and who isnt.

Longhorn Lady

I'm an advice giver in the car seat aisle also :p

My favorite was in BRU a few weeks ago with the 18 month old I nanny for. The employee took the BV down for me to try out and set it down FF on the bench.

Loudly enough for a few other people to hear me, I said "she's still RF, so I'll be installing it backwards" and two moms GASPED in horror and came over to see how I could possibly put a child that 'big' in backwards ;)

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
i recently got a job in the car seat department of BRU. You wouldn't believe all the questions and comments i hear all day long.

And i swear i am going to collect every 'baby bargain' book ever printed and burn it. I hear more ppl saying that they wont buy a britax b/c BB said the graco is just as good.

And then theres the grand moms with their daughters who tell keep insisting its illegal to use a RFing car seat! Or those that say that harnesses are too much work or they ask if we sell those nice seats with the plastic bars or those without harness straps (as in none!) I got asked if we sold t-shields, when i said they dont make them anymore the lady siad "well, i guess we'll just use DS's old seat." I told her it was probable expired and she complained to her manager i was pushing her for commission. I dont make commission (except my own joy every time i sell a good seat to a parent looking at a bad seat.)

i was talking to a lady in my calc class who had 3 masters degrees and is going for her doctorate that also believes RFing car seat are illegal and thought that if they sat RFing they could hit their heads on the seats back. When i said that couldnt happen if the harness was tight enough she said "oh you cant put them too tight. They will get scared b/c they are stuck in the seat. Ummm, yeah thats the point. She says i'll learn when the twins are born. I cant wait to carry them in the room in their seats nice and tight and RFing until they are old enough to get married.

U

Unregistered

LOL Until they are married!

It used to drive me insane that my SIL would put her dd in the infant carseat with the chest clip near her belly button and the harness straps were so loose that you could probably just push them to the side and pull her out. I always made it a point to put my kids in there nice and tight, emphasizing how it's supposed to be. Her kids were out of the carseat when they turned four...and now only the 6 year old is in the booster b/c it's the law. As soon as the older one turned 8, she was back in the seatbelt. Sigh...I'm sure the youngest will be in the booster soon, because we all know what a pain the harnesses are...

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I dont see why some parents find the harnesses so difficult. Maybe its b/c they buy crappier seats than us? Britax makes it easy on use with all their great convenience items but i think if we all had coscos we might complain more about them.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I put a baby girl in her seat right this morning at work! lol Her mom usually comes w/ her at night and I'm a little scared of her (she's the dominant one in the relationship, hahaha) so when dad brought her in this morning, she left in a properly fitting harness. :) I'm sure it'll be looser than anything next time I see her though. I'm not sure how parents expect the harness to work if it's falling off the kid?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC