Had a carseat check today-not happy

Tammy

I have a 2 year old who was RF in a Boulevard and a 3 month old in a Safeseat. We had a check once when my older one was in the SS but not since she switched. This was a event sponsored by the town department of public safety. The officer told me today that my daughter couldn't be RF. He said her legs were too long and that she could break them in an accident. He said she "needs room to grow". She is tall for her age, 36.5 inches at 25 months-don't know torso- but he didn't say she was too tall for the seat, he just kept talking about her legs. He insisted that he had to turn my seat. I haven't been on her in a little while. I wish I had because I wished I had all the good advice about extended RF ready for him. I was a little fuzzy and let myself be pressured into changing it. I'm scared to change it back though because he said there were a few things wrong but didn't really explain how to fix it since he changed it to FF. Also, aren't car seats good for 6 years. The other officer asked him while doing another check and he said 7 years. Again, I felt intimidated to say I think you're wrong since he was so sure and I am certainly no expert on car seats.

Anyway, what should I do? Should I do another one? The town sponsors a lot of them in this area. There are others but they have longer wait times. I'm also afraid I would have the same experience. I'm tempted to just leave her FF anyway. I feel like by the time I can do another check she will get too used to this way. My initial goal was 2 years-not necessarily to the limits of the seat- and we are there. She wasn't complaining so I wasn't in a rush but its already done now. Any opinions?

ADS

Wineaux

I must have missed the "room to grow" part of the curriculum. Oh wait... IT'S NOT IN THERE! A proper seat check should include the CPST showing you what the problems are, explaining how to fix them, showing you how to fix them, and then having YOU fix the problems, install the seat, and explain back to the CPST what you were doing and why. You learn by doing, not by having it done for you...

So yes, get out your vehicle manual and your BV manual, and then read them through very carefully (the child safety seat section of your vehicle manual). Then install your seat RF. Come back here and ask questions. Then go get your seat checked at another locatio by another CPST. If you are just totally unsure about what you are doing, then keep the seat FF for now, but get it checked again ASAP so they can TEACH you to correctly install your seat RF every time.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Then go get your seat checked at another locatio by another CPST.

And when you go back for another seat check - assuming you've turned her back RF, or want to have them turn her back RF - I would print out some information about RF, particularly info from the SafeKids web site. (SafeKids is the group that certifies CPSTs.)

aisraeltax

and write a letter about that original CPST (was he cert'd)...i just cant believe how many times i hear about CPST's talking about breaking legs..i was under teh impression there are no documented cases of that.

i know NO ONE who RF's their kids past 1/20...i am the ONLY one who does it in my area. reading stuff like this makes me actually fear going to a seat check. :(

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would also print out the AAP recommendation...and highlight the ERF part!

http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm

"Toddlers Preschoolers
Convertible, combination, and forward-facing
Children 1 year of age and at least 20 pounds can ride forward-facing. It is best to ride rear-facing as long as possible. "

Toddlers and preschoolers-forward-facing

"Once your child is at least 1 year of age and weighs at least 20 pounds, she can ride forward-facing. However, it is best for her to ride rear-facing to the highest weight or height allowed by the manufacturer of her car safety seat. She should ride in a forward-facing seat with a harness until she outgrows it (usually at around 4 years of age and about 40 pounds). "

Tammy

I just remembered something else I wanted to ask. I thought it was okay for the seat to be up against the front seat? He said it shouldn't be.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Whether or not touching the front seat is allowed really depends on both the carseat and the vehicle manufacturer, and both must allow it for it to be alright. Some seats, like Evenflo infant seats, require 1.5 inches of clearance behind the vehicle's front seat, but neither Graco nor Britax have any such requirement or warning against touching the front seats as far as I'm aware. Some vehicles with advanced frontal airbags have a warning in their owner's manual (usually in the airbag section but it might also be in the child restraint section of the owner's manual) stating not to allow a child restraint to touch the back of the front seats because it will interfere with the airbag sensors. I have an '05 Toyota Sienna and an '08 Scion xB, and both vehicles have this restriction against carseats touching the front seatbacks.

I feel for you! I had a seat check in my town over the winter and the fireman(certified) said I couldn't have my 3 year old son, 2 1/2 year old daycare kid rearfacing. It would break their legs, they were uncomfy! He also thought it was crazy that I had my 5 year old in a harnessed seat.

Let's just say I let him have it! He would not let me leave with my seat installed RF. UGHHH!!!

I was pissed. Since then I have contacted safe kids and they said they would update him.

I can't believe how no one who is techs in my area know about this stuff! i was more than mad!

I also brought a bunch of ERF and EH stuff BEFORE the event, so I was even more MAD that they didn't read it or care!

sixmaybemore

He would not let me leave with my seat installed RF. UGHHH!!!

I was pissed. Since then I have contacted safe kids and they said they would update him.

I can't believe how no one who is techs in my area know about this stuff! i was more than mad!

I also brought a bunch of ERF and EH stuff BEFORE the event, so I was even more MAD that they didn't read it or care!

Wow, this thread has me reeling. I cannot BELIEVE these stories. And, I really want to comment on "he wouldn't let me leave". WHAT?! I have been a tech for seven years and I've been told over and over and over again that it is my job to EDUCATE and it is the PARENTS DECISION on what is done. You can't change the seating position w/o parental approval. Of course, it's our job to make a strong case "these straps are twisted, so we're going to straighten these out" to "your baby would be safer rear facing, so what we can do is teach you to put the seat in rear facing. Does that work for you?" (of course, I'm telling them WHY be rear facing, too).

And where is this "they will break their legs" stuff come from? Every class, every update class I've been taught that this isn't true. So why is this being said by techs? How frustrating!

Tammy

Thanks everyone. He really made me second guess myself and my decision, especially since he was so adamant that I couldn't leave that way. I appreciate the info and support. I am going to turn her back and have it rechecked somewhere else with my info in hand.

sixmaybemore

Thanks everyone. He really made me second guess myself and my decision, especially since he was so adamant that I couldn't leave that way. I appreciate the info and support. I am going to turn her back and have it rechecked somewhere else with my info in hand.

Just remember that you are the parent, and ultimately it is your decision. If this person is insistent, request a senior checker or instructor.

singingpond

The 'won't let you leave with the seat installed that way' experiences -- I'm curious if that typically involves a uniformed installer (i.e. police or firefighter) implying that they have the authority to actually stop a parent from leaving? Does a policeman doing a seat check actually even have this authority? Perhaps they do in some cases? For example, if someone comes in with a child not properly restrained according to the law (e.g. a FF 10-month-old), can they legally be prevented from leaving? Are the uniformed checkers then implying they have similar authority to prevent anyone from leaving who has an install they personally just don't approve of (e.g. a RF 3 y.o.)??

As for those of you who are civilian techs, what can/do you do if a parent wants to leave with the aforementioned FF 10 m.o.? Do you just tell them what the law is, or do you actually prevent them from leaving in any way?

Do uniformed techs (e.g. police officer) have different authority than civilian techs, assuming the inspection of the carseat is voluntarily requested by the child's parent/guardian??

Katrin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC