Honda Element or keep searching?

monstah

So, I have started car shopping because I know we will be in the market soon and I don't want to end up with no car and have to make a hasty decision.
My DH has fallen head over heels :love: with the 08 Honda Element. (I love the price tag)
I will need to install two seats in it - BLVD RF for another 15 pounds and a Nautilus. (Eventually, 2 Nautilus's)
Here is my issue, I know that in most cases heavier vehicles = safer vehicles. And minivans top the safety list. The Element is only 33-3500 pounds.
I have been on the hunt for a heavy, safety features galore, vehicle for under $20,000, probably doesn't exist, LOL. Third row seating a plus, but not necessary. Minivans included, but not loved. ;)
But then my DH gets involved and really wants an Element.
But heavier vehicles usually come with higher price tags and our max $limit hovers around $20,000.
Opinions, suggestions appreciated!

Last edited:
ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The Element is a cool car, but I just want to make sure you know that it is only a four-passenger vehicle. :) Since there are four people in your family, it should be fine, but that doesn't leave you any room for another passenger.

monstah

We also have a Honda Accord. But I do HATE the idea of not having extra seating.
We can't compromise on budget, and we wont compromise on safety. (By buying an old, cheap vehicle without some of the new cool safety features) The Element has the main features I am looking for

-4 wheel Anti-lock disc brakes
-Side curtain air bags
-Advanced frontal airbags
-Elec stability control
-Great IIHS crash test ratings
-$$

But no extra seating, and how will it stand up to a crash against a pilot (for example)

Last edited:

steph

I don't believe the Element has as good of safety ratings as the Pilot (but the Pilot is rated high in safety).

I personally don't find the Element comfortable to ride in - I'm not sure you budget but have you ruled out the Honda CR-V - same size but you would have the option of a 5th passenger.

monstah

I don't believe the Element has as good of safety ratings as the Pilot (but the Pilot is rated high in safety).

I personally don't find the Element comfortable to ride in - I'm not sure you budget but have you ruled out the Honda CR-V - same size but you would have the option of a 5th passenger.

My husband actually ended up seeing the Element because I made him come with me to see the CR-V (I want) and they were parked next to each other.
Of course I prefer the Pilot but before 2008 they had bad crash test ratings, a new one is obviously out of my price range.

And surprisingly, the CR-V weighs less than the Element, but not by much.

steph

My husband actually ended up seeing the Element because I made him come with me to see the CR-V (I want) and they were parked next to each other.
Of course I prefer the Pilot but before 2008 they had bad crash test ratings, a new one is obviously out of my price range.

And surprisingly, the CR-V weighs less than the Element, but not by much.

My Pilot is a 2007 and has excellent crash test ratings (one of the reasons I got it). The Honda CR-V is also rated higher than the Element in crash test ratings.

monstah

My Pilot is a 2007 and has excellent crash test ratings (one of the reasons I got it). The Honda CR-V is also rated higher than the Element in crash test ratings.

Sorry, the Pilot crash test ratings I was looking at were 2003-2005. I meant to say that I would prefer a large vehicle like the pilot, but I would need an older model because of my budget. And that would equal unacceptable ratings.

My husband REALLY loves the Element. I am hoping that I can either get some ammunition to help convince him that we need to keep shopping. (What I want to do) Or, maybe some people can help to convince me that besides the lack of seating the Element is a great (and safe) car.

Can you believe that Dh doesn't like the CR-V because he thinks it is ugly.... But he really likes the Element!? :shrug-shoulders:

Ice Princess

Have you tried finding the Honda VP Pilot 2008? We were debating between that and the Saturn Outlook (outlook won) but out the door price was 23,950. It would be cheaper now that the 09 are appearing on the lots.

Heather98012

Check out the Mazda5. It has seating for 6, is inexpensive, has a MUCH better look in person than the pics!, & has the features you want. I haven't researched crash tests on it, but you may be in luck. Brand new, they start around $18500 & top out around 24K.

Wineaux

And of course there are the Kia minivans. Check out the short wheelbase one's to keep the price down. They rate very highly on the crash tests.

wyldfyr

CPS Technician
I have a 2008 Honda Element AWD EX. I LOVE it! Take a close look at the crash test ratings. I'm not sure where the info came from that they are not safe, I don't how you beat a 5 star rating, front , back and both sides.....
http://www.automotive.com/2008/12/honda/element/crash-tests/index.html

It Is a 4 seat vehicle. That may or may not be a drawback for you. ( It wasn't for me) They certainly are easy to install a child seat on!

I love the fact that it has electronic stability control and mine has AWD which is awesome on slick roads! ( We had an icestorm the first day I drove it to work :thumbsup: )

Also, you might look at the pictures in this forum. A Honda Element owner had a rollover accident and posted pictures. He was actually able to drive it home after rolling it! http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27651

I was pretty surprised when I looked at the pictures, it didn't seem to crush much.

I'd say the Element is worth a look.

Laurie
CPS Tech - Idaho

Heather98012

Hey, out of curiosity (& because I'm being lazy & don't want to go searching for this) what is the MPG for the Element? Or, what are you actually getting in it vs. sticker MPG?

wyldfyr

CPS Technician
I have been keeping track since the day I took my Element off the lot in January. Around town, to work, etc. get consistently about 23 mpg.
( I am a leadfoot! )

I do better on the Hwy though and usually can do 25 on HWY/Interstate driving. I have gotten as high as 27 mpg a couple of times with long stretch of interstate driving.

I absolutely LOVE my Element! :thumbsup:

monstah

I have a 2008 Honda Element AWD EX. I LOVE it! Take a close look at the crash test ratings. I'm not sure where the info came from that they are not safe, I don't how you beat a 5 star rating, front , back and both sides.....
http://www.automotive.com/2008/12/honda/element/crash-tests/index.html

Also, you might look at the pictures in this forum. A Honda Element owner had a rollover accident and posted pictures. He was actually able to drive it home after rolling it! http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27651

I'd say the Element is worth a look.

Laurie
CPS Tech - Idaho

You can't beat it's ratings (IIHS TOP PICK) I was originally thinking that the vehicle is too light, but I am changing my mind due to gas prices.

I am starting to get the impression that the Element is prone to rollover? I haven't started researching that yet though, what do you think?

Check out the Mazda5. It has seating for 6, is inexpensive, has a MUCH better look in person than the pics!, & has the features you want. I haven't researched crash tests on it, but you may be in luck. Brand new, they start around $18500 & top out around 24K.

IIHS or NHTSA hasn't crash tested the Mazda5 yet, and Mazda doesn't have a great crash test history. So I'm not going to consider the 5 until after it has been tested. (But I really liked it when I looked at it on the lot. Dealer was closed so I only peeked through the window)

Heather98012

I have been keeping track since the day I took my Element off the lot in January. Around town, to work, etc. get consistently about 23 mpg.
( I am a leadfoot! )

I do better on the Hwy though and usually can do 25 on HWY/Interstate driving. I have gotten as high as 27 mpg a couple of times with long stretch of interstate driving.

I absolutely LOVE my Element! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info! One last question: Is yours a 2WD or the AWD? TIA!

Cristina

We were just at the Honda dealership and we were looking at one for fun while we waited.
The only concern I had was the way the back doors open.
Instead of opening next to/in line with the back seat...they open in front of them.
If your child was FF it wouldn't be an issue, but with a RF child it would be impossible to get them out.
Does that make sense?
Does anyone have one? Am I missing something? It just looked really odd.
FWIW I had a 2004 CR-V and I loved it!

wyldfyr

CPS Technician
Thanks for the info! One last question: Is yours a 2WD or the AWD? TIA!

I have a 2008 EX AWD I am currently heading out on a roadtrip to visit family in Iowa. Drove 13 hours today on the interstate, averaged 25-26 MPG accross Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, and western Nebraska. We have 3 adults, luggage for 3 adults and enough medical supplies for my son with Cystic Firosis to be on the road for us with 2 weeks. We are loaded HEAVY and getting that MPG !

Another question was about the rollover risk. Yes, the Element is a little higher profile, but I really do not think it is that much worse as far as rollover unless you plan on taking off road. ( Yes, I have had this off -road and was very comfortable with it!)

Check out the Honda Element Owners forum. There are pictures of one that DID roll and the driver was able to DRIVE IT HOME! ( The link is in my origional reply)

As for the doors, yes, they open differently, but, you have so much MORE room to manuver a child etc. It is no different than stepping up into a mini-van to grab a child from a rear facing seat. Plus, there is so much more room
to get a child out of a rear facing seat. If you would like to see pictures of how much room we have to manuver, I am going to arrive at my destination tomorrow and I could install my niece's seat ( ff facing --- sigh.... ) and my nephew's who is still rf and try to post pictures. Let me know.

Laurie-
CPS Tech -- Idaho

Heather98012

Post pics please! Thanks so much!!

(PS. Do you know if the new Frontier fits in the seats? I know it goes into other Hondas, so I'm taking a guess it might.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC