Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Bike seats???

Bike seats???

My housemate's child is ~45# but not yet 4 years old. They're looking for a seat to attach to mom's retro bike, behind the adult's back. They're probably going to just get a used one from with a stranger with a 40# limit unless I can find them an affordable + safer alternative (She does *not* want the little trailer tent thingy)
    Last edited by Victorious4; 05-22-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typo (tend/tent)
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Bike seats???

Quote Originally Posted by papooses View Post
    My housemate's child is ~45# but not yet 4 years old. They're looking for a seat to attach to mom's retro bike, behind the adult's back. They're probably going to just get a used one from with a stranger with a 40# limit unless I can find them an affordable + safer alternative (She does *not* want the little trailer tend thingy)
    Hmm...that seem unsafe. I know having a 30lber in one was kinda hard to keep steady. Maybe one of those T seats for the front.
    Carissa, mommy to Adam 5/19/05 and 53lbs 3'10 riding in a Monterey and GTB And Megan 12/27/07 and 23lbs 33 inches riding rf'ing in a Marathon and Princess Radian in a 09 BMW X5 Diesel and Civic Hybrid. We are officially GREEN

Maybe a Trail-a-bike?
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA

I have a trail a bike or a copilot for my 3 year old and I love it. She loves it too! I really don't think that a 45lb kids is safe in a seat rated to 40lbs. It seems like she would be awfully big in it. I have a bike seat for my daughter and she is very close to the limit. She is less than 40lbs.
    Proud Mom to David (15), Hannah (14), Emily (13), Stella (9) and Zahari (8)

Oh, of course it's not safe & of course her kid wouldn't fit in, but she also would *not* be safe using a Trail-a-bike either (just like she's not safe in the booster yet, but I'm not her mom ) Mom won't consider a Trail-a-bike or the trailer tent type thingy at all, absolutely out of the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsmommy View Post
    T seat for the front
    Quote Originally Posted by courtfrog2 View Post
    a copilot for my 3 year old and I love it. She loves it too!
    T seat? Copilot? (I'm not quite that savvy)
    Last edited by Victorious4; 05-24-2008 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Clarification

CPS Fanatic

sorry i missed this thread. we have a kettler teddy child bike seat, and it's rated to 50 lbs. it's the only seat sold in the US rated to 50 lbs, all the others are rated to 40 lbs.

in terms of keeping steady, that's all relative. ask any dutch person and they'll tell you that as long as your tire doesn't get flattened by the weight, then you don't have too much weight on your bike-- the dutch live on their bikes and routinely use them to haul 100+ lbs around in addition to themselves. this is routine for them, and this is a first world, western EU country. they also have less bicycling accidents and lower bike injury rates than any other nation.

proper installation is also key. you don't want to install the seat too high up, as that will raise the center of gravity too far up.

T seats (front mount seats) are less safe than rear seats (no protection in a fall), and typically only go to up 30 lbs. the co-pilot is a popular rear mount seat, but has a 40 lb weight limit.

EDIT: not sure of the relevance of this, but i thought this would be interesting to point out-- the dutch routinely carry an entire family around on one bicycle. check out this bicycle made expressly for this purpose. it's not cheap (over $1000) but most dutch have at least one very expensive bike and typically have more bikes than people.

Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Wow, that's a heck of a bike!
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by BookMama View Post
    Wow, that's a heck of a bike!
    honestly, if i could get a hold of one of those, i would. no one in the US imports them. it already costs over $1000 in europe for one of those, and to get one shipped here would add hundreds...

i actually own a bicycle made in holland (same brand as that one-- cortina), but it's not like that one. it's got massive front and rear racks for hauling boxes of stuff. i use it to go food shopping and save on gas . i lucked out, i found it on ebay from someone who brought it here from amsterdam and has no where to lock it up in NYC.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by southpawboston View Post
    i use it to go food shopping and save on gas.
    Wow, good for you! I would have to bike at least 5 miles to get to a grocery store. But I do try to consolidate my errands - especially lately! DD and I always go grocery shopping after we take DS to school, since the grocery store is on the way home. (DS goes to a charter school, no buses.)
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

CPS Fanatic

this is my bike:

the dutch bikes are designed to be real city bikes, rugged and capable of surviving being stored outside in the elements year-round. unfortunately they are very heavy as a result, and not the best bikes for hilly areas . too bad for me that i live on a steep hill . but you should see my calfs .

but you should see my calfs .

Pics???

The Kettler one is on my craigslist... http://rochester.craigslist.org/bab/711588044.html
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA

sorry i missed this thread. we have a kettler teddy
    Oh, no worries, I knew you'd be here sooner or later! That looks like exactly what she wants -- now to convince her that it's worth $140....

Quote Originally Posted by TXAggieTech View Post
    Pics???
    Teehee

Carseat Crazy

SPB's calfs:

-Sarah

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by sfeitler View Post
    SPB's calfs:

-Sarah
    i suspected someone would dredge up my farming roots i herd them with my bike.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by papooses View Post
    Oh, no worries, I knew you'd be here sooner or later! That looks like exactly what she wants -- now to convince her that it's worth $140....

Teehee
    well, FWIW, i got mine for $106 shipped. and maybe keri1292's kettler would fit the bill for $80.