Question Bike seats???

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My housemate's child is ~45# but not yet 4 years old. They're looking for a seat to attach to mom's retro bike, behind the adult's back. They're probably going to just get a used one from with a stranger with a 40# limit unless I can find them an affordable + safer alternative :confused: (She does *not* want the little trailer tent thingy)

Last edited:
ADS

adamsmommy

My housemate's child is ~45# but not yet 4 years old. They're looking for a seat to attach to mom's retro bike, behind the adult's back. They're probably going to just get a used one from with a stranger with a 40# limit unless I can find them an affordable + safer alternative :confused: (She does *not* want the little trailer tend thingy)

Hmm...that seem unsafe. I know having a 30lber in one was kinda hard to keep steady. Maybe one of those T seats for the front.

courtfrog2

I have a trail a bike or a copilot for my 3 year old and I love it. She loves it too! I really don't think that a 45lb kids is safe in a seat rated to 40lbs. It seems like she would be awfully big in it. I have a bike seat for my daughter and she is very close to the limit. She is less than 40lbs.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oh, of course it's not safe :whistle: & of course her kid wouldn't fit in, but she also would *not* be safe using a Trail-a-bike either (just like she's not safe in the booster yet, but I'm not her mom :shrug-shoulders:) Mom won't consider a Trail-a-bike or the trailer tent type thingy at all, absolutely out of the question.
T seat for the front
a copilot for my 3 year old and I love it. She loves it too!
T seat? Copilot? :question: (I'm not quite that savvy)

Last edited:

southpawboston

sorry i missed this thread. we have a kettler teddy child bike seat, and it's rated to 50 lbs. it's the only seat sold in the US rated to 50 lbs, all the others are rated to 40 lbs.

in terms of keeping steady, that's all relative. ask any dutch person and they'll tell you that as long as your tire doesn't get flattened by the weight, then you don't have too much weight on your bike-- the dutch live on their bikes and routinely use them to haul 100+ lbs around in addition to themselves. this is routine for them, and this is a first world, western EU country. they also have less bicycling accidents and lower bike injury rates than any other nation.

proper installation is also key. you don't want to install the seat too high up, as that will raise the center of gravity too far up.

T seats (front mount seats) are less safe than rear seats (no protection in a fall), and typically only go to up 30 lbs. the co-pilot is a popular rear mount seat, but has a 40 lb weight limit.

EDIT: not sure of the relevance of this, but i thought this would be interesting to point out-- the dutch routinely carry an entire family around on one bicycle. check out this bicycle made expressly for this purpose. it's not cheap (over $1000) but most dutch have at least one very expensive bike and typically have more bikes than people.

Roots%20moeder%20bl%20en%20grys%20tas.jpg

southpawboston

Wow, that's a heck of a bike!

honestly, if i could get a hold of one of those, i would. no one in the US imports them. it already costs over $1000 in europe for one of those, and to get one shipped here would add hundreds...

i actually own a bicycle made in holland (same brand as that one-- cortina), but it's not like that one. it's got massive front and rear racks for hauling boxes of stuff. i use it to go food shopping and save on gas :). i lucked out, i found it on ebay from someone who brought it here from amsterdam and has no where to lock it up in NYC.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
i use it to go food shopping and save on gas.

Wow, good for you! I would have to bike at least 5 miles to get to a grocery store. :( But I do try to consolidate my errands - especially lately! DD and I always go grocery shopping after we take DS to school, since the grocery store is on the way home. (DS goes to a charter school, no buses.)

southpawboston

this is my bike:

transportfiets_564.jpg

the dutch bikes are designed to be real city bikes, rugged and capable of surviving being stored outside in the elements year-round. unfortunately they are very heavy as a result, and not the best bikes for hilly areas :eek:. too bad for me that i live on a steep hill :eek:. but you should see my calfs :D.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC