Good SECOND seat

RJONES0207

DS is 7 months and I am just about to move him from his infant seat to a Recaro Signo.

The infant seat I have is the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio with SIP which has a feature which enables to the seat to be used without the base if required. Since DS is home with the nanny during the day, I would leave the infant seat in case of an emergency but otherwise, DS does not ride with nanny. Fortunately, we have never had an emergency and only used the seat without the base once when my car was being serviced. (In retrospect, I was not educated on these matters when I choose this seat and realize now this alternative may not have been very safe).

When we take DS out, we always use my vehicle (which will have the Recaro professionally installed). However I am now forced to purchase a second seat to keep in the house in case of an emergency. I was considering the Radian 65 since I could also use this seat for travel, and in DH's vehicle in the event we ever use his car instead (possible I suppose). The fold up feature also makes this slightly easier to store.

My concern is how easy the Radian 65 seat will be to professionally install? Is there an alternative second seat I should be considering?

Last edited:
ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
(which will have the Recaro professionally installed).
Please make sure that you see the CPST's ID card from SafeKids Worldwide to make sure they are currently certified :twocents: & also, it is our job to teach *you* how to use any seat correctly in any vehicle -- because it does your child/family no good if the CPST is the only person who knows how: you need to be comfortable with using the seat all on your own by the time the seatcheck is over....

Also, unfortunately the Radian is known for being quite difficult in more vehicles than most seats, so if you're looking for a seat that a child care provider, etc. who was not present during your seatcheck, I suggest a more basic seat.

Does your family have 2 primary vehicles? If so, I might consider a Britax Marathon/Decathalon/Boulevard because they are generally easy to install in most vehicles, or the Evenflo Triumph Advance (or others that I hope others chime in on). If not, if you're only concerned with the rare emergency trip, a Cosco Scenera would be a fine choice.

CORRECT USE always trumps fancy extra features and/or a high price tag. Even a Recaro or Britax cannot provide a child with adequate protection if it's not used correctly :eek: This is why it's so important that parents not become dependant on the CPST to do the installation for them.

RJONES0207

Thanks for the advice...

I don't plan on removing the Recaro from my car for any reason, especially since I have the second seat. I want to know how but feel more comfortable knowing 100% that it's in right. Perhaps I will also have the tech install the second seat just to train me....even though I will have to remove it shortly thereafter.

I think I'll also make my nanny come with me. :)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I think I'll also make my nanny come with me. :)

That's a fantastic idea! :thumbsup:

I think the Radian could still work for you though, particularly since it's a back-up seat. The fact that it folds means you could store it under the bed or the couch, yk? And it is almost always a very easy install if you're using LATCH, so if the vehicles that would be used in an emergency all have LATCH, the install issues might not even come up for you.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Things happen when you can't get a tech..that's why you need to learn how to install your carseat.

car breaks down on the highway...you've got to move the seat to a different car/tow truck
baby vomits/has diaper blow out---it's a lot easier to clean in the house
travel/rental car
purchasing a new car

Please make sure the tech teaches you, 2nd parent?, and the nanny how to properly use and install the seats. Have the Nanny bring her car.

Susan

RJONES0207

Should have the seat early next week -- then need to find a tech! I tried the link of the nhs site and it kept hanging. Does anyone know how much the car seat inspection/check is?

And yes - we fully intend on knowing HOW to install the seat, I will just feel better when someones looked it over and says "Check!". :thumbsup:

Mommy2Marcus

I would think that the Cosco Scenera would work for you. It is a bare bones, basic, no frills seat, but for as little use as it will see, I see no use to pay $200 for a back up emergency only seat. I own a Scenera & while NOT my favorite seat, it is a good seat. I would most deffinatly purchase it again to use. Also another less exensive alternative to the Radian, but not much is the Evenflo Triumph Advance. It runs about $130-$150 at Walmart or Target. Or there is also the Safety 1st Uptown. It runs about $100, but is a great seat that I really think would work well for you! It is sold at Wal-Mart!

RJONES0207

So I got my seat...now I need a tech. Can anyone provide me with a WORKING link? (I have been having issues).

Also, what is the approx cost to inspect each seat. I will have two and want to make sure I have enough cash.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
So I got my seat...now I need a tech. Can anyone provide me with a WORKING link? (I have been having issues).

Does this work for you? It's working for me, but that might be because I'm logged in on that site.

Also, what is the approx cost to inspect each seat. I will have two and want to make sure I have enough cash.

Many techs do not charge for their services; they offer them on a volunteer basis as a community service. There are some techs who charge, but their rates vary dramatically depending on your location. You will have to ask them when you call, as there is really no range between "free" and "$300."

Karen

I would think that the Cosco Scenera would work for you. It is a bare bones, basic, no frills seat, but for as little use as it will see, I see no use to pay $200 for a back up emergency only seat. I own a Scenera & while NOT my favorite seat, it is a good seat. I would most deffinatly purchase it again to use. Also another less exensive alternative to the Radian, but not much is the Evenflo Triumph Advance. It runs about $130-$150 at Walmart or Target. Or there is also the Safety 1st Uptown. It runs about $100, but is a great seat that I really think would work well for you! It is sold at Wal-Mart!
My second seat is a Scenera. I will buy another for the new baby. For around $45 it really is great.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC