Need recommendation for traveling

jmenard

Need recommendation for traveling - booster seat related

We're flying to NY, from TX, this summer and I really need seat recommendations for my older DD.

I'm planning on getting the traveling toddler for my younger DD and her Marathon which she'll be using on the plane. No issues here.

My oldest rides in a Husky in our cars. She's around 47 inches and 45-50 pounds. I don't know her torso height, but I believe she's on the second from the top slots (she's got a long torso - I do know that). I'm pretty sure another inch in height and I'll be moving her to the top slots. But, no way do I want to bring a Husky along with us.

I need a seat for the rental car when we get to NY. I'd prefer to get her a booster she can use at home when I need to take her out of the Husky (the Marathon expires next year) so I'm not buying another seat in 6-8 months. I'd rather not buy a seat *just* for this trip, but if I have to I will.

I love the Monarch and Monterey (leaning towards Moneterey because of LATCH), but not sure those are good for traveling? I do NOT want to check it if at all possible. Is it possible to check it in the box it came in? Is that OK?

Last edited:
ADS

jmenard

How old is she? Does she ever ride in a booster? Will she still fit in the Marathon?

She's 5.5 (6 in October), we're flying in July. She very rarely (twice a year maybe) rides in a TurboBooster (that I hate) in Grandma's car. I don't think she'd fit in a Marathon comfortably (though by stats I think she falls under them).

Edited to add I just found the Compass B510, so I imagine that is one to consider also. I'm trying to find folded dimensions to see if it fits under the airlines carry-on policy.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
As long as kiddo doesn't have any special needs considerations (physical/medical, emotional, attention span, etc.) then booster use at this age & size should be fine for travel, especially if you'll be sitting next to her to make sure she maintains proper positioning: seatbelt flat & snug against the hips/thighs & collar bone....

We appreciated our Compass B510 during our travels in the last couple summers -- we were allowed to gate check it at the airport & carried it onto the train as well.

Another option, which is lighter weight & more easily stored, yet offers no side impact protection but does perform better in frontal crash testing is the Ride Safer Travel Vest.

A friend of mine recently packed the highback portion of her Airbooster in luggage & carried the booster seat base onto the plane for her 7 year old.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I think any booster that becomes a backless wouldn't be too bad to carry on the plane. We took our Radian on the plane and just put it in the overhead compartment for one leg of our flight. We used the Radian carrying bag and it fit great. I know someoen had pics of their Monarch in the overhead bin, maybe that was on Delphi.

capeKO71

I would just gate check the booster... I'm sure you can find a bag to put it into... maybe a stroller bag... actually- I think the Monterey has a bag you caa buy... and it folds doesn't it?

jmenard

Thanks for the responses!! I've been doing more reading and it seems the Compass won't fit in the overhead bin which was the reason I was looking into it. So my only choice, really, is to get a HBB that can come apart, pack the back really well and carry the bottom on with us.

I just can't justify in my mind buying something like the Radian that would never get used again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC