Compass infant seat wwyd

tlj

I bought a Compass infant seat in the Learning Curve sale, but I can't get it installed in my van. The lock off will not close and we do not have LATCH. I really like the seat--it is a beautiful seat with tons of padding and would be really nice in the winter in Wisconsin with the all weather boot and nice canopy (and is UW Badger red).
It doesn't seem practical cost-wise to try to ship it back to Learning Curve.
I could give it to my mom (she will be watching the baby part-time) since her car has LATCH.
Should I keep it or try to sell it? I am so torn...

(Should I add that I found a Keyfit 30 at Target yesterday for $120?)

So, what would you do?

ADS

keri1292

Do your belts lock at the shoulder or the latchplate? If the latchplate, I'd keep it because you won't have tipping issues anyway. :)

tlj

I'll pull the manual, but I think that Compass requires their lock-off--if not that may be a great solution. The van is a 99 Odyssey, so the belt locks at the shoulder. I have definite tipping issues with other seats if I don't have a seat with lock-offs.

Seriously, this may become a thread with a different title: to buy a new van or not...of course, we can't afford one or else we'd have already done it. :)

As to the Keyfit--it appears to be an internet return. All tags are still attached to the seat and the user manual plastic bag hasn't been opened. I'm guessing the people didn't like the color--I'm not excited about the color (Atomosphere). It has a Feb 2008 mfg date, too. I was surprised by the lock-offs on the Keyfit--do they really lock? It seems like they would allow the belt to slip.

melniemi

I found the compass lock off very hard to do. I couldn't do it buy my dh and fil could. Once closed, it works great. I bought that seat for my sil. I had a keyfit and loved it. The lockoffs did work, but I usually used latch - that worked super, too!

tlj

I did try it again and couldn't get it closed with both belts through, but could close with one (left the shoulder portion out)--of course, then it was extremely wiggly. I had heard of spraying the lock-off with something to make it easier to close--maybe that will be next. I am nine months pregnant, so that might make it a bit tough to get it closed, too. It was a poor install without the lock-off also.

I'll try the Keyfit and see if it is any easier/solid in comparison.

If we had LATCH, this wouldn't be an issue at all. If only our van were two years newer. :)

Ahzryn

I've installed the Compass infant seat in a 2004 and a 2000 Odyssey, and both installs were super easy with the seatbelts and the lockoff. The trick is to just barely have the seatbelt snug, NOT standard tight install. If you have the belt too tight, the lockoff is a bear to close. Could that be the issue?

Wineaux

As an owner of two Compass infant seats, I have to also chime in on how easy they are to install. Flat out the easiest install, LATCH or Lap/Shoulder, that I have done so far. As was pointed out earlier, you might want to give the L/S belt a tiny bit of slack to make closing the lock-off easier, and yes... Using the lock-off is mandatory on the Compass infant seats in a L/S install.

tlj

Ok--tried it a bit looser and used my (now bruised) knee to get it closed. It is pretty solid. Thanks for the suggestion to not have it so tight. I have to do that with the lockoff on the Marathon or it pops open.

They are really nice seats--quite a bit bigger than the Keyfit, but their features are terrific. The base is pretty big--the "older" kids are going to have to adjust to working themselves around it to get to the third row.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC