Another FFing Snugride today

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For a baby who will turn one on Friday.

I walked by the car at the airport today. The dad was in the car waiting with the baby on his lap (car was parked). I saw the seat in there, with the handle up against the back of the seat. I walked on for a bit and then turned around. I got out a business card and went up to the car and said that his carseat was in backwards. He said they had to turn it because she got too big (she was SO cute!). So I told him that it was a rearfacing seat only, they couldn't turn it forward facing. The mom came over about then and he said that I told him that their seat couldn't forward face. I said the same to her, explained that they needed to get a different seat for her, and that kids under two are five times more likely to be injured forward facing than rear. Then I just said that she had my card and I'd love to help her out if she needed.

The kicker? They actually said thank you! She said she appreciated me stopping. :) It probably helped that I was there to pick up a rental minivan, so I had Piper's Wizard on a luggage cart behind me. LOL What other nut walks around an airport with nothing but her purse and a carseat?

I'm so glad I stopped to say something, though. They had a Cosco combo in there as well, which they didn't indicate was hers. Maybe that kidlet was coming in on a flight with grandma? I don't know. I don't even know how their Snugride was installed, to be honest. I didn't see any seatbelts or anything through the base, but who knows how they had it done. She was at least in the middle, though if she's unrestrained I'd rather she be compartmentalized behind a front seat.

My rental minivan is a 2008 T&C. Still stupid offset LATCH in the back, no tethers on either side, LATCH for the two positions on the bench seats. But the big things?? Sliding switchable seatbelts and a shoulder belt for the middle rear seat!!! FINALLY. Though those locking latchplates last year were the easiest Radian installations ever, so I'm a bit nervous tonight. I know Piper's Wizards will work in the back row, so the Radians can always go in the middle with the LATCH and now I can put Piper's Parkway in the middle in the back. :)

Wendy

ADS

luvmy2

Wow! That's awesome you stopped them. I would be way too nervous. I hope they get the baby into a correct seat.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
That's awesome that they thanked you. Hopefully they will take your advice and call you!!!

I simply cannot imagine using the bucket ff. Surely most parents know it's a rf only seat, right? But I know we do see them ff!!!

Mommy2Marcus

WOW! I am glad that you stopped & said something though before that baby got hurt! Hopefully they will call you though!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I had a FF infant seat come through my lane at our seat check event on Saturday. A grandma got out of the car with her small 3.5YO granddaughter. My heart almost leapt out of my chest when I looked in the back seat and saw a FF infant seat (don't remember what brand, not Graco though) "installed" with all three seat belts wrapped around the handle and buckled. The little girl hadn't even been buckled into the harness.

What really got me was that when I asked G'ma whether she always wears her seat belt, she went on and on about oh yes, she was in an accident once and the seat belt saved her life, etc. etc. And yet the little girl was completely unrestrained! :mad: :(

sixmaybemore

Then I just said that she had my card and I'd love to help her out if she needed.

Do you pass out cards often? Do you get calls back on them?

I ask because I'm starting to think I have cooties or something. Of all the cards I've passed out over the years, I haven't had anyone ever call me back on them.

Total threadjack, sorry about that, but I am curious.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, I've never had a call back. I rarely give them out to people, they're mostly left as notes, or if someone says, "Oh, a friend would really like this service" then I give a card. But normally someone has already contacted me, so why do they need a card of mine? At public checks I hand out more cards than normal, since I don't have the time I want generally.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC