What do I do?

featherhead

I really don't know what to do. I have so many friends from church who are not using car seats properly. Here's a few examples...
1. One lady put her 5 month old FF because she couldn't use her infant carrier anymore. It was from Germany, and she was only allowed to use it for a short period of time when they moved to Canada. So they bought a new seat (from a thrift shop) for their 2-year-old and put the baby in the MCP FF(it doesn't RF). I tried to tell them that it is the LAW in Canada to RF to at least 1 year and 20lbs. They didn't do anything about. And of course they don't have tethers(which are also law in Canada for FF).
2. I just noticed this last week that another lady has her 9 month old baby FF. She too is from Germany. Her two boys are in boosters (3 and 5). I'm pretty sure the 3 year old is not 40lbs.
3. Nobody tightens their harnesses properly.
4. Many use buntingbags.
5. Some use expired 3-point harness infant seats.
It just drives me nuts, and makes me upset. I just don't know how to tell these people. I think my sister and I are the only ones who know how to use car seats properly.

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

Can you try to send them some youtube videos of children improperly restrained? Would seeing what could happen to their little ones help? If you do a search on youtube you can find a lot of different ones. Try to be gentle with your approach. People really don't respond well otherwise. You can say something like you didn't know about *blank* until somebody told you. Good luck.

Jan06twinmom

One of my suggestions might be to talk with someone from the church and see if you can work with the church to help inform people about the laws and making sure their children are safe. If there is a church bulletin, maybe seeing if you could include some information with who to contact. Or if there is a parents group, maybe arrange for a car seat tech to be a guest speaker (which is something we do with our local twin club). Or maybe if there is some sort of church event, see if you could make arrangements for some techs to come out and do carseat checks during the event.

So maybe it's sending some of the information to the church minister or some other people who are involved in organizing events and getting them on board. Of course, the advantage with this approach is that lots of parents/adults could be educated.

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC