Unrestrained baby and 5 year old ejected

ADS

1Sept3Dec

Senior Community Member
That's just heart breaking! Their mother should be charged. Had they been properly restrained, they would be in much better shape, I'm sure! Those poor babies...:crying:

firemomof3

I hope that the babies do o.k. but that sounded like a horrific accident :( The mother should be charged & have prison time.

jdubsm

It's terrible that this is what it takes to get more publicity about car seats. I witnessed a similar accident last year in Salt Lake where a 2 yr old was ejected from a vehicle. I'll never get the image of that little baby laying in the road out of my head. :( My poor kids saw the accident too.

featherhead

Just a few days ago I saw a van with four little kids in the back unrestrained, and the baby was sitting on the mother's lap. When they got out to go into the store, they put the baby in the infant carrier. How ignorant can someone be???

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I've noticed some horrible things around here lately. Apparently the lovely weather has all the dads thinking it's a great time to put their children's lives at risk. I keep seeing trucks with unrestrained toddlers in the front seat. No carseat, no booster, no seat belt, in front of an airbag. The first one was actually hanging out the window at highway speeds. :(

mish

That just makes me sick. I feel so sorry for those kids.

Did anyone notice in the second artilcle where the expert said most car seats have a shelf life of 5 years?

MsFacetious

That reminded me Debbie. This was a BAD weekend in Utah. We had 3 other double fatal crashes. There was also one in Colorado with a family from Utah. Mother and 4 kids, two kids died...3 year old and 8 month old didn't. But the 8 month old has internal injuries. Would be hard to convince me that child was correctly restrained.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3333740

There was one accident in Parley's Canyon that was a police chase turned suicide. They closed the canyon.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3335323

So everyone went through Provo Canyon instead. A woman with two 13 year old kids plus a 7 and 8 year old... was t boned trying to pull out onto the canyon road (60MPH speed limit.) I think this was a case of her not paying enough attention + the additional traffic from the other canyon closure. The two youngest kids were killed.

I drive that canyon at least on a weekly basis. This is the 3rd accident there in a couple of weeks. That is the canyon that we go into to go to the park, the waterfall, the river, the reservoir, the canyon we take to go to Thomas, etc. Both of these canyons are also routes to the in laws cabin. Provo Canyon is NOT a dangerous canyon like Parley's is, if at all possible I take it. It's been months since I took Parley's, though I will have no choice but to come down Parley's this weekend. I'm already freaking out about it.

Provo Canyon is okay....As long as you are paying attention.

The place where this family was hit has plenty of visibility. There are other roads that pull out right after a turn and are more difficult. This area is not like that. I have been honked at because I waited to pull out because I wasn't positive I had time to go. I got honked at the other day for not pulling out in front of a TRAIN at railroad tracks!

People are just in too much of a hurry. At speech therapy yesterday I saw a license plate that said "Y Hurry".

However, on a positive note. The chevy truck towing a camper that t boned this family....he ALSO had 2 kids in his truck. Even though they rolled, the kids were unhurt. This easily could have been much worse if those kids hadn't been correctly restrained. 2 kids died when it could have easily been 4.

The kids who died likely weren't wear seatbelts. However, it may not have mattered. The seatbelts themselves were gone, from the impact. If they'd been wearing them they likely would have died from the impact instead of being ejected.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3336489

There is still no update on the unrestrained/poorly restrained kids. This doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't follow up...I was surprised they reported it at all. There was also another accident in Southern Utah that was a double fatality.

It wasn't even a holiday weekend...this coming weekend is. I sure wish I didn't have to drive that weekend.

I keep seeing trucks with unrestrained toddlers in the front seat. No carseat, no booster, no seat belt, in front of an airbag. The first one was actually hanging out the window at highway speeds. :(

MsFacetious

There was also children in the truck that this mother hit, who were uninjured because they were correctly restrained.

The baby is apparently 17 months, not 7 months. There WAS a FF only car seat in the vehicle but it wasn't being used. Maybe one of those situations where the kid was just sitting in it and not strapped in?

Still no update on their conditions though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC