Touriva notches

U

Unregistered1

Does anyone have good pictures of the old touriva notches? The situation was explained to me at a seat check this weekend but I'd like to see what they look like IRL.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
This poster had some pictures:
#1 08-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Mommy090804
CPS Advocate Join Date: Feb 2007

WWYD? regarding Cosco Regal Ride

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should have been paying attention when it hit the news about six weeks ago, but I finally checked the seat and this is what I found:

DSC00002.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=DSC00007.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=DSC00008.jpg

Yes, it's a Regal Ride manufactured in June of 2005. I guess I wasn't worried because it was manufactured mid-2005 and I thought Dorel stopped making them early 2005.

What would you do? Would you continue to use the seat? Would you call Dorel? The seat is used for my 14 month old DS three times a week right now. He is RFing in the bottom slots.

Here is the link to the original article and pictures:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...l=chi-news-hed

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...allery?index=7

U

Unregistered1

And the article isn't coming up anymore :( anybody have it saved, I wanna read it!

Mama!

Martinez noted that the federal standard for car seats is so narrowly defined that seats passing the toughest of the tests--simulating a front-end collision at 30 miles per hour--can have serious problems at just a few miles an hour more and yet still meet the standard. "We had seats where, if you turned [the test sled] up 5 miles an hour, the seat would disintegrate,'' he said.

Despicable. :thumbsdown: Makes me wonder if I should be using our Signo instead of our Uptown. At least the Signo passes foreign standards too, which are tougher. :(

an attorney for car seat giant Evenflo Co. wrote to regulators: "It is unfair to create the impression that such devices provide safety."

Oh, well God forbid.

When Evenflo sought a recall of its On My Way infant seat in the summer of 1995, the company made a disclosure: Four of its own tests showed that children could cut or pinch themselves if they reached under the seat pad and touched a crack in the plastic shell.

Evenflo notified the government. It offered a free remedy to any customer who wanted to reinforce one of the nearly 200,000 seats it had sold.

But other tests in the company files stayed private. Those tests showed cracks far more troubling. In some, the plastic hooks that secured the On My Way to the seat belt broke into pieces, allowing the seat to fly off the testing bench with the baby-size dummy strapped in, according to footage Evenflo disclosed during litigation.

The company was not required to inform the government of those results because those tests were done on prototypes or on seats, Evenflo said, that were "evaluated under conditions different than those required" by the federal standard.

A court deposition from Evenflo's director of product safety, research and development, however, illustrated how the self-policing of child safety seats can keep regulators and consumers ill-informed about potential hazards.

"We were aware that in certain tests you could break the seat and it could actually come out from under the seat belt," the safety director, Randolph Kiser, said in the deposition taken for a lawsuit filed by a Montana family.

I'd like to curse right about now. Ridiculous. >(

Even when seats fail NHTSA's own safety tests, the agency doesn't always take those models off the market. From 2003 through 2005, NHTSA did not recall seven of the 10 child safety seats that failed its crash tests.

Ok, I know we always go back and forth on whether or not Britax/Recaro etc are safer, but after reading this article, I am GLAD that my kids ride in seats that have to pass other countries' standards for testing. At least the Signo passed German testing, and Britax went through Britax's standards overseas.

Man. ;(

Mama!

During a question-and-answer session at a workshop that same day, Janzen again raised her concerns about the Touriva notch. Richard Glover, the senior Dorel engineer, "said something to the effect of I was just a nurse and he was an engineer," Janzen recalled in a deposition as part of a lawsuit, "… and actually furthermore, he said, 'This is only one child.'."

:eek: :(

The following year Dorel hired an engineering consultant to design a plastic cover for the notch. That consultant said under oath that a senior Dorel engineer told him the company wanted to cover the cutout because it could cause head injuries.

But Dorel never used that design, which would have cost the company 24 cents per seat[i/], according to court depositions. The plastic notch cover wouldn't work because it popped off during crash tests, Glover said in his deposition.

Oh for the love of heaven.:eek:

As late as 2005, Dorel still made Tourivas with the hidden notches.
:(

:thumbsdown:

I'm so glad I only bought one of those crappy seats over the years.:mad:

U

Unregistered1

We give out a lot of Tourivas and Sceneras at checks but they don't have the notches. I just hope there's nothing else Dorel doesn't care to tell us.

4boysmom

I actually think my AO (manufacter of about late 2000 early 2001) had similar notches because they made a overhead version too and I remember making a note that they must use the same mold but just hadn't punched it out for the OS. I don't recall if it was in the head area though...

on that note though I am not quite comprehending how the head could even hit the notches as they are (what looks like fairly "deep" within) in a thumb shaped recessed hole/box... it it the "sharp piece" or the fact there is a recess at all?

singingpond

I actually think my AO (manufacter of about late 2000 early 2001) had similar notches because they made a overhead version too and I remember making a note that they must use the same mold but just hadn't punched it out for the OS. I don't recall if it was in the head area though...

on that note though I am not quite comprehending how the head could even hit the notches as they are (what looks like fairly "deep" within) in a thumb shaped recessed hole/box... it it the "sharp piece" or the fact there is a recess at all?

Yes, it's the recess itself that is the problem, if the child's head hits that part of the shell forcefully in an accident. My older AO's also have the same notch/recess there (probably to attach the shield assembly in the overhead shield version of the same seat, as you say), but the AO has the sliding headrest which covers up those notches in practice.

Katrin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC