calm me down, please

teekadog

We were driving home from the grocery store today. I'm driving the Mazda5, 3yo rfing behind me in her MA, baby sleeping rfing in his MA next to her, and 36lb 5yo in her Regent behind the baby. Groceries next to the 5yo.

I stopped quickly for a yellow light. But not too quickly. The groceries slid, but didn't tip or spill. The 3yo didn't notice a thing. The baby slept through it. But immediately my 5yo grabbed the back of her neck and said "oww!" She said her head went forward but her body didn't and her neck popped and it hurt. It stopped hurting quickly, like by the time the light turned green again, but I'm traumatized. :eek:

Tell me it was just a fluke. Tell me her neck was stiff from sleeping. Tell me her Regent did its job because her body didn't go anywhere. Tell me I don't need to sell my soul to try to get a HWRF seat illegally in this country.

And please tell me why my country won't let me keep my child safer by rfing her longer :mad:

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Aw, poor baby :eek:. I'm pretty sure you would have had the same drama/trauma in a booster, but the whole thing slamming forward would have looked even scarier... the retractor would have kicked in and only her head would have flown forward in that case, anyway, so it was probably just the jolt that caused her some discomfort, not the harness.

MsFacetious

I have had to stop way faster than that before (groceries would have been in the front seat!) My girls have never complained before. That's interesting. I would say her neck was probably stiff from sleeping. Really. I've been cut off by a semi and had to slam on my brakes so hard that I SLID.... or had to go into the median to avoid getting hit when I couldn't stop fast enough. Or had a blown tire and had to slow down and stop in the median...talk about bumpy.

I don't think it had anything to do with the way she was restrained. Probably more just a coincidence. I actually know what she is talking about. Sometimes if I move my neck the wrong way it will pop like that. It really hurts and I get dizzy for a second. Then it goes away.

I definitely would not be too concerned. At 5 years old, she is perfectly safe FF. It'll take some time for you to be convinced of that...but she'll be okay. :)

abacus2

She probably had her head turned at an odd angle just as you hit the brakes. Anyone can be injured by a whiplash type motion, but the older she is, the less likely serious injury becomes.

teekadog

thanks for the replies. it was just one of those moments you don't want to have happen, even if it is innocuous.

rosomom

Although this is not related to carseats at all, my DD went through a period of time (around age 3.5) when she'd kind of turn her head and then cry and grab the side/back of her neck and say her "neck was hot."

It was periodic, once a week at the most, but let me tell you, it freaked me out. We ended up seeing a pediatric physical therapist who said something about neck muscles not fully mature and the nerve was maybe getting slightly impinged. I don't know what that means, but it hasn't happened to her for over a year.

Strange and kind of scary!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC