Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Severe Nautilus Head Slump

I love this seat, and really don't want to get rid of it. But GOOD GRIEF those head wings push dd's head out. It reminds me of trying to sit my too-short body in a recliner meant for taller people and having the back of my head pushed out by the pillow, so you can never really sit back and be comfortable.

What can I do? I can't justify spending an extra $120-150 on a seat that won't give her head slump, but this is crazy. Her chin is in her chest clip, she complains that her neck hurts, and it's just not good.

I'm sad.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Severe Nautilus Head Slump

are the adjustments right (head rest height) I hear people talk about this head push thing but none of my 3 (ages 6.5, almost 5 and 3.5) have this issue and I can't "see" where it comes from on my seat.

Is it reclined (will it install correctly in a more reclined position)?

Senior Community Member

Sorry, it just seems to hit some kids and not others in certain kids.

Installing in the reclined position did not help us at all but try it if you havn't already.

All kids are not shaped the same and will not fit carseats the same.

It is a very valid issue and I dont know of a magic fix for you.

The only other two seats that are going to offer the same or more growing room is the Frontier or Regent.

ETA: Whoops, forgot about the Safeguard.
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

i'm sorry you are having this issue. It must be either the angle of your vehicle seats or something specific to your childs body size/shape. My dd's head never slumps forward in her nauti. Can you recline it back at all? If not, it just seems like one of those weird incompatibilities.

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

My 4.75 year old son's head slumps every single time he falls asleep in it. It is as reclined as it goes. He has now moved back into the MA and the GN sits in the basement.

we have the same problem! i was gonna ask what we could do to fix it.. for now we put efta in so his head isnt just hanging there

Carseat Crazy

Yes, it's reclined all the way, and yes, it's at the correct setting. I guess my dd just has a really round head. The back of it is pushed forward by the pillow area on the back of the headwings, and when she starts falling asleep, she cannot keep her head up because it's already pushed forward ,so gravity just takes it the rest of the way. I have NEVER seen head slump in a seat as badly as this gives her - when we got home last trip, her chin and cheek had the chest clip imprinted in them.

Her poor neck.

It's gotta go back, and it makes me SO sad, because it's really a great seat and we love the way it looks, we love the storage areas in the armrests, and dd loves the cupholder.

A Frontier or Regent won't work in our vehicle, with the way they hang over the seat (not enough leg room), and the Safeguard is outside our budget. I just put in an order for our third Radian - this time in Princess. That should make her happy. But still, it's not what I was hoping for. (Do we have a breaking heart smiley?)

Oh well.

I just bought one for my 2 year old to use when she turns 3 this summer. Her head doesn't slump at all and she looks comfy. She is small for her age and has a tiny head.

I put my 13 month old in it (who can legally ride in it) just to see how she fits (disclaimer-she won't be riding in this seat) and her head slumps horribly. However she is huge for her age and has a huge noggin.

Maybe something with the head size??

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
    S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
    J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eviesmama View Post
    I just bought one for my 2 year old to use when she turns 3 this summer. Her head doesn't slump at all and she looks comfy. She is small for her age and has a tiny head.

I put my 13 month old in it (who can legally ride in it) just to see how she fits (disclaimer-she won't be riding in this seat) and her head slumps horribly. However she is huge for her age and has a huge noggin.

I honestly believe it is something that is individual to each child.

After having this happen in a BV as well, I am leery of most seats with a headrests when shopping for my son.
    J-10.5 yrs, 100 lbs, 4 ft 10.5 ins-adult seatbelt
    C-9yrs-Britax Parkway SG, Clek ozzi, Incognito
    S-6.5 yrs -Britax Parkway SG,

Quote Originally Posted by Eviesmama View Post

I tend to think at least one of my kids has a huge noggins so who knows??? Luckily the seat seems to work for us we don't have the budget for the more pricey options!

Carseat Crazy

I've been wondering about this seat. DD had the same problems OP is describing when she was in the Boulevard. She does have a large head (100% percentile, but her height is 95th %). We tried all the tricks and finally had to replace it with a Marathon.

That's really too bad to hear Does anyone know if the Britax Frontier head piece sticks out any less?