Severe Nautilus Head Slump

sanctareparata

I love this seat, and really don't want to get rid of it. But GOOD GRIEF those head wings push dd's head out. It reminds me of trying to sit my too-short body in a recliner meant for taller people and having the back of my head pushed out by the pillow, so you can never really sit back and be comfortable.

What can I do? I can't justify spending an extra $120-150 on a seat that won't give her head slump, but this is crazy. Her chin is in her chest clip, she complains that her neck hurts, and it's just not good. :(

I'm sad.

ADS

4boysmom

are the adjustments right (head rest height) I hear people talk about this head push thing but none of my 3 (ages 6.5, almost 5 and 3.5) have this issue and I can't "see" where it comes from on my seat.

Is it reclined (will it install correctly in a more reclined position)?

arly1983

Sorry, it just seems to hit some kids and not others in certain kids.

Installing in the reclined position did not help us at all but try it if you havn't already.

All kids are not shaped the same and will not fit carseats the same.

It is a very valid issue and I dont know of a magic fix for you.

The only other two seats that are going to offer the same or more growing room is the Frontier or Regent.

ETA: Whoops, forgot about the Safeguard.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
i'm sorry you are having this issue. It must be either the angle of your vehicle seats or something specific to your childs body size/shape. My dd's head never slumps forward in her nauti. Can you recline it back at all? If not, it just seems like one of those weird incompatibilities.

ali's mom

My 4.75 year old son's head slumps every single time he falls asleep in it. It is as reclined as it goes. He has now moved back into the MA and the GN sits in the basement.

L-and-A

we have the same problem! i was gonna ask what we could do to fix it.. for now we put efta in so his head isnt just hanging there

sanctareparata

Yes, it's reclined all the way, and yes, it's at the correct setting. I guess my dd just has a really round head. :) The back of it is pushed forward by the pillow area on the back of the headwings, and when she starts falling asleep, she cannot keep her head up because it's already pushed forward ,so gravity just takes it the rest of the way. I have NEVER seen head slump in a seat as badly as this gives her - when we got home last trip, her chin and cheek had the chest clip imprinted in them. :eek:

Her poor neck.

It's gotta go back, and it makes me SO sad, because it's really a great seat and we love the way it looks, we love the storage areas in the armrests, and dd loves the cupholder.

A Frontier or Regent won't work in our vehicle, with the way they hang over the seat (not enough leg room), and the Safeguard is outside our budget. I just put in an order for our third Radian - this time in Princess. That should make her happy. :love: But still, it's not what I was hoping for. (Do we have a breaking heart smiley?)

Oh well.

fyrfightermomma

I just bought one for my 2 year old to use when she turns 3 this summer. Her head doesn't slump at all and she looks comfy. She is small for her age and has a tiny head.

I put my 13 month old in it (who can legally ride in it) just to see how she fits (disclaimer-she won't be riding in this seat) and her head slumps horribly. However she is huge for her age and has a huge noggin.

Maybe something with the head size??

arly1983

I just bought one for my 2 year old to use when she turns 3 this summer. Her head doesn't slump at all and she looks comfy. She is small for her age and has a tiny head.

I put my 13 month old in it (who can legally ride in it) just to see how she fits (disclaimer-she won't be riding in this seat) and her head slumps horribly. However she is huge for her age and has a huge noggin.

Maybe something with the head size??

I honestly believe it is something that is individual to each child.

After having this happen in a BV as well, I am leery of most seats with a headrests when shopping for my son.

Melanie

I've been wondering about this seat. DD had the same problems OP is describing when she was in the Boulevard. She does have a large head (100% percentile, but her height is 95th %). We tried all the tricks and finally had to replace it with a Marathon.

That's really too bad to hear :( Does anyone know if the Britax Frontier head piece sticks out any less?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC