Next Step

C

CHAOSbluegrass

Next Step

Hi guys! Been a while since I last posted, but I have a question for ya's. My son is 3yr 6mo's old, and in florida, at 4yrs, a child is ready for seatbelt. Well im not sure a seatbelt is enough, but I know his carseat will be a little small when he's 4. Whats the next step?

ADS
C

carsafety

Some options

Keeping your son in a 5-point harness until at least 40 pounds is the best option. Many companies sell "combination" boosters which have a harness to 40 pounds, then act as a belt positioning booster to 80 pounds. I use the Century NextStep DX, but there are many other good models.

A safer option would be one of the newer carseats that go above 40 pounds in a harness. The Britax SuperElite is one, the new Simpson Racing seat is another. Both may be difficult to find for a couple months, though.

Finally, if your child is mature enough to sit properly in a seatbelt already, you can use a booster seat with or without a back. Britax makes some nice models at the top end, the Evenflo RightFit is a perfectly good backless model on the low end. If you have a local Ford dealer you know, see if they have any booster certificates left. You can get a free RightFit, or a discount on some other models at Toys R Us.

Also, check out the buying guide links for some specific recommendations:

www.car-safety.org/guide.html

C

CHAOSbluegrass

Re: Some options

Is a five point harness the belts that come over his shoulders and latch at the bottom of the seat? And...what is a Rightfit?

C

carsafety

Harnesses

Yes, the 5-point harness is the typical harness that most carseats have. Two straps come over the shoulders then latch to a buckle at the crotch, then go over the thighs and to the sides. So, there are two points above the shoulders, two points to the sides of the legs and one in the crotch. This is generally the safest system for front facing passengers (even adults).

The Rightfit is the most basic booster. It basically looks like a shaped pillow to sit on. It raises the child high enough to use the regular seatbelt, and it also has a special guide to make sure the seatbelt is routed correctly across the shoulder and chest instead of the neck.

Other boosters usually have high backs on them, and some have a harness which can be used to 40 pounds.

C

carsafety

Never a problem! If you have more questions please ask.

(This message was left blank)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC