carseats installations on airplanes?

Jan06twinmom

Is there any information/list about how different carseats installed on airplanes?

I'm wondering if there are any issues with the Radian 65 being installed both rf and ff on an airplane. We've flown with Evenflo Triumph rf, Decathlon rf and ff, and we were thinking we'd use the Radians this summer. I'm just concerned about whether it's a good idea to try to travel with a Radian because of the installation issues on planes and possibly in a rental car, esp. rf.

Melanie
Isabelle 1-6-05, 29lbs, rf
Marcus 1-6-05, 39lbs, ff

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Rear facing they won't fit on planes. Forward facing they are the best thing on planes. They install quickly and easily. They can have the seat reclining, and with the little forward facing foot down there's quite a bit of recline for a carseat forward facing. Piper slept 7.5 hours straight in hers on our way back from China. In fact we have Radians solely for travel.

In a rental car they're a breeze forward facing. They all have LATCH so there are no installation concerns. Rear facing I don't know. I haven't tried. I wouldn't travel with a rear facing Radian. It won't fit on the plane and you MUST have the rear facing foot with you that I'd be concerned about losing somewhere along the way. Plus if you get a very tiny car you may have issues with it fitting front to back, if you have flat seats (which a lot of American cars do) then you may have a child who is used to sitting more upright laying at a 45* angle because that's where the seat goes in that car. I'd use something else for a rear facing child. But a forward facing child? Radian all the way.

HTH

Wendy

The Bjorns

Forward facing they are the best thing on planes. They install quickly and easily.
:yeahthat:

We just used the Radian on the plane and loved it!!! Makes me wish all car seat belts were as simple to use as the airplane's. One nice advantage was DD was able to use the tray for coloring. I installed it with the recline on as I had read it was a little easier to get a tight install that way.

I was concerned about installing the Radian in a rental car (we ended up with a Dodge Caravan-no problem in 3rd row seat with LATCH). My only concern would be if your child was over the LATCH install weight limit (48 lbs on many cars) and needed to install the RA with the seat belt. My DD is right on the bubble, but still below. It looks like your DS is well within the limits so you won't have to worry about that after all.

I got many compliments on my cool folding car seat. Super easy to haul down the plane aisle. I also brought our MA for RFing DD#2. The RA fit inside the MA on a luggage rack with a bungee cord around them. Getting through security was actually easier with the RA simply because it folds up so slim that fitting it on the X-ray belt is easy.

~Diane

Last edited:

obnurse19

We just traveled a few weeks ago with a Radian. It was FANTASTIC! I folded it, and bought the double back pack straps, made it a breeze to carry through the airport!

It installed easily on the plane, and was rock solid. I loved using the recline, and DD who is 4 1/2 slept both ways of the flight.

When we got out, I tried installing with latch in a Hyundai Tuscon. The latch was a pain frankly (not the Radian, the CAR!). For the life of me, we could not locate the lower anchors. We pulled the seats out, folded them up and down, no anchors (and it is an '06 or something like that!). I told my Aunt (it is her car) that she should take it to the dealer and have them take a look at it. It had the little signal guide thingy's on the seat, but no anchors to speak of. Anyway, I ended up using the seatbelt, and I was scared after all the problems people have with installing the seat with the seatbelt. I didn't have one problem. It was an absolute breeze and installed rock solid, with very little work.

In the end I couldn't have been happier with the seat for travel.

vamom

I have flown with the radian ff, no problem, other then how heavy the darn thing was:). When the flight attendant reached to help me, she just about fell over, and made some comment, I added that it was steel reinforced for safety, and the pilot said a friendly that's great or good for you.

It also worked fine in our rental - toyota corolla seatbelt install. I just slapped it in our stroller. The stroller is now retired, so next trip I will have to strap it to something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC