True Fit: Not Airline Approved....

indigoblossom

i just bought a TF to take with us on our trip because the thought of lugging around a heavy MA still intimidates me (even though i have a plan that involves our maclaren and the travelling toddler strap) - then i realized how wide it was (yes, i'd seen one in person already, but still thought it was doable). in a panic i called compass/learning curve and it has been verified that these car seats are not approved for use on an aircraft. a little bummed - *but* i may still be willing to swap out one of our MAs and use it in my car - but i was really looking forward to using it on our trip :(

ADS

aisraeltax

pg 33 says to follow the seat belt installation for use in an aircraft.
also says to consult your airline for requirements to use the restraint..is one airline in particular telling you that you cant use it? im confused.

indigoblossom

pg 33 says to follow the seat belt installation for use in an aircraft.
also says to consult your airline for requirements to use the restraint..is one airline in particular telling you that you cant use it? im confused.

no, compass told me not to use it - i haven't even tried to take it on a flight, i was just concerned about the width of it and thought i'd call compass/learning curve since i don't yet have the seat or the manual with me.

maybe once i have the manual in front of me i'll call them back and re-verify and have them explain why the manual would lead one to believe that it can be used on a plane.

New grandma

It also says on page five, not to use in home. side facing seats, motor homes or boats. Use only in auto or aircraft.

aisraeltax

no, compass told me not to use it - i haven't even tried to take it on a flight, i was just concerned about the width of it and thought i'd call compass/learning curve since i don't yet have the seat or the manual with me.

maybe once i have the manual in front of me i'll call them back and re-verify and have them explain why the manual would lead one to believe that it can be used on a plane.

i called Compass last week to ask about pool noodles (for the life of me i couldnt find that word in the paper manual i have) and was told "OMG NO do not use pool noodles or towels or anything to help with recline"....well, its on pg. 26).

IME, Compass C/S is NOT very helpful.

i had thought perhaps an airline had told you not to use the seat (for some reason).

indigoblossom

indigoblossom

i called Compass last week to ask about pool noodles (for the life of me i couldnt find that word in the paper manual i have) and was told "OMG NO do not use pool noodles or towels or anything to help with recline"....well, its on pg. 26).

IME, Compass C/S is NOT very helpful.

i had thought perhaps an airline had told you not to use the seat (for some reason).

well i did have a friend that was almost prevented from boarding (can't remember which airline) with her britax because it was missing some sort of decal it should have had stating it was approved. i've never heard of this - but a quick phone call to britax CS cleared it up. i'll have to ask her for the specifics because i'm sort of worried...she said she couldn't just prove that it was okay by showing the manual and where it states how to install in on a plane...SO...if someone wants to take issue with a TF on an airline, it looks like a CS rep couldn't just clear up the confusion, as they are also confused.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
One of the stickers on the side of the seat will say in red ink, This restraint is approved for use in motor vehicles and aircraft. That's it, that's all there is...just look at all the stickers, if it's in the manual, it'll be on the seat, too :thumbsup:

aisraeltax

well i did have a friend that was almost prevented from boarding (can't remember which airline) with her britax because it was missing some sort of decal it should have had stating it was approved. i've never heard of this - but a quick phone call to britax CS cleared it up. i'll have to ask her for the specifics because i'm sort of worried...she said she couldn't just prove that it was okay by showing the manual and where it states how to install in on a plane...SO...if someone wants to take issue with a TF on an airline, it looks like a CS rep couldn't just clear up the confusion, as they are also confused.

wow? really? all my britax seats have a decal on them (had to look carefully for it but its there).

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

Canadian seats actually only say it in the manual. We don't have FAA regulations, but seats have to pass inversion testing as part of passing CMVSS 213 standards, so if a seat is CMVSS 213 approved, it's certified for use in aircraft. It's just not FAA approved because we don't have a separate standard in Canada - it's all part of the CMVSS. So for CDN seats the proof of airline approved is the manual Sounds like your friend had a crappy airline. :thumbsdown: At least Britax was able to clear it up for her.

indigoblossom

wow? really? all my britax seats have a decal on them (had to look carefully for it but its there).

maybe she was flustered and didn't see it - i'm going to ask for the details because she made it seem like it was something additional, not what you'd expect the seat to come with (the manual and the sticker)...off to email her now ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC