Installing FF MA in Recline Mode for Cerebral Palsy child

JessicaS

...who weighs more than 33 pounds. What do you think about this? The child cannot sit up on his own.

Am I wrong in assuming it would be detrimental if they were in an accident?

I met this woman in the parking lot at Trader Joe's. I don't normally do this, btw. I'm just guessing Britax doesn't allow this because it is dangerous. How strong is the mechanism that holds the MA in recline mode? Is this really a valid exception?

She acted like a professional of some sort installed her seat for her. I realize that doesn't mean much, though. And she wasn't exactly in the mood to chat, understandably so as I just insulted her parenting choices, and she obviously has a lot on her plate. She answered my questions but was quite defensive. She otherwise seemed like a very responsible person. So maybe my, "Hey wait a minute, your Marathon should be in upright mode!" comment wasn't completely out of line and put a bug in her ear. Maybe she'll go home and think about it, or possibly whip out the manual. :shrug-shoulders:

ADS

orangemnms

:twocents: If the child cannot sit up on his own he should be a in specialized seat to both correctly position him as well as harness him. Using the MA inappropriately just because it positions him well does not mean it will perform well in an accident. She needs a seat for him that does both.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd be curious to hear opinions from some people who have taken the special needs class. For kids with special needs, sometimes it's necessary to bend the rules. I don't have the expertise to say whether or not what you saw was ok or not, but it could be.

Mama!

I've dealt with a kid with low tone (my own) and it was hard to find a good seat for a kid that was soon to be FF'd but had some good support.

We did a RF AO for a long time, and then went to a RF uptown(still in it, and FF's in Signo when he's too heavy to RF).

I actually got a Como first. The como offers a ton of head support.

However, if he can't sit up on his own AT ALL, he needs a Roosevelt or a EZtether? Seat. Or a Britax TP.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
...who weighs more than 33 pounds. What do you think about this? The child cannot sit up on his own.

Am I wrong in assuming it would be detrimental if they were in an accident?

I met this woman in the parking lot at Trader Joe's. I don't normally do this, btw. I'm just guessing Britax doesn't allow this because it is dangerous. How strong is the mechanism that holds the MA in recline mode? Is this really a valid exception?

She acted like a professional of some sort installed her seat for her. I realize that doesn't mean much, though. And she wasn't exactly in the mood to chat, understandably so as I just insulted her parenting choices, and she obviously has a lot on her plate. She answered my questions but was quite defensive. She otherwise seemed like a very responsible person. So maybe my, "Hey wait a minute, your Marathon should be in upright mode!" comment wasn't completely out of line and put a bug in her ear. Maybe she'll go home and think about it, or possibly whip out the manual. :shrug-shoulders:

The Evenflo Triumph Advance and the Safeseat 2 recline in forward facing mode, but how heavy was the child?

There are seats specifically for low tone children. They're pricey, though. I don't know how much, if anything, insurance helps cover.

http://www.southwestmedical.com/Ped...dic_Positioning_Car_Seat_-_Adolescent/21733p0

Wendy

U

Unregistered1

An Aurora took the special needs class, we should ask her :)

JessicaS

The Evenflo Triumph Advance and the Safeseat 2 recline in forward facing mode, but how heavy was the child?

There are seats specifically for low tone children. They're pricey, though. I don't know how much, if anything, insurance helps cover.

http://www.southwestmedical.com/Ped...dic_Positioning_Car_Seat_-_Adolescent/21733p0

Wendy

She said he was 4 years old. I didn't actually see him in the seat, and now I'm wondering how much torso room he has left. I didn't get any contact info for this woman. :( I just saw her there, in the parking lot. She wasn't too pleased with my unsolicited advice. :eek:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'd be curious to hear opinions from some people who have taken the special needs class. For kids with special needs, sometimes it's necessary to bend the rules.

Sort of. Sometimes it's necessary to think outside the box, but it's never ok to go against manufacturer instructions.

In my SN class, we were given a list of seats that have recline options in the FF position, to be used in situations just like this :thumbsup:

Nisha

I was under the impression that the MA could be used FF in recline mode. Maybe I need to go read my manual again!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I was under the impression that the MA could be used FF in recline mode. Maybe I need to go read my manual again!

It can, but only to 33 pounds. But since kids should be rear facing in them until 33 pounds it's rather moot.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC