KDM Regents' DOM?

4boysmom

Does anyone know how up to date they tend to keep there seats? I would assume they are pretty close to DOM when received since my understand is that they are on "back order" as far as free distribution, is that just because of $ reasons (they don't give out seats until they can pay for them to go to the recpient even if they have been sitting for a while) or they can't seem to "keep them in stock" and they send them out as fast as they get them. We qualify but I am not sure if we can wait out until we got to the top of the recepient list so I am assuming we will just end up getting the seat for the $200 "donation" since we still have tax monies. If the seats DOM are too far back it seems it might make more $$ sense to get the 169 one from Baby Love DOM 4/07 depending on shipping rates. My oldest is almost 2 so I might only "need" the seat for 5 years, though 6 would be much more ideal now that I am thinking since my oldest is almost exactly 5 years older and we are buying the Regent for him to use right now so my youngest should also fit in it for more than the just under 5 years the Baby Love one would allow.

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I have no idea the answer to your question but have you considered a Nautilus? Far less expensive. Not as tall but if you have an average sized 5 year old should get some use out of it.

4boysmom

Yes my oldest is currently in a nauti, but my thought is this can be the extra stop gap between the top strap height in the nauti and in the regent perhaps... And then I would bounce the regent down to the next kiddo when the next oldest outgrows in and then they go in that childs nauti in booster mode. I am in this dillema because my 6.5 yo (who still does have some time in the nauti) is very very leery of a booster at this point (I tried him in the nauti as well as a compass b510) so unless it is a tiny tiny amount of time I may have to "splurge" and get a Regent even if it is only for 6 mo use before it is passed down.... I never got a answer when I asked what the real life difference between the nauti and Regent were heightwise/time wise. I know there seems to be question as to how big the difference in current regents and the nauti is...

Starlight

Senior Community Member
The Husky and the Regent are the same.

It's really not a big enough difference between the GN and the Regent. Unless you are talking about a very young child, I would not spend $200+ for 6 months usage.

4boysmom

The Husky and the Regent are the same.

It's really not a big enough difference between the GN and the Regent. Unless you are talking about a very young child, I would not spend $200+ for 6 months usage.

In my case, it would be used for the full 6 years not 6 mo, though it might be outgrown in 6 mo (I made that figure up) by the first child that uses it before it is passed on to the younger sib who may or may not "need" it (not outgrown the Nauti) just yet. (I have 4 kids born in 5 years so there is always a younger sib who would be ready for that seat when the older outgrew it...)
Still not wise IYO?? I would be getting it for $200 shipped.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I'd still go for the Nauti, so you wouldn't have to buy a new booster later. Cheaper, w/ more functions, you know?

How much room does your eldest have in the Nauti, harness wise?

4boysmom

I'd still go for the Nauti, so you wouldn't have to buy a new booster later. Cheaper, w/ more functions, you know?

How much room does your eldest have in the Nauti, harness wise?

That was my original feeling, but then my ds (7 in Sept.) flipped out about the possability of having to use a booster when I tried him in the compass b510 (so a nice seat) on Saturday that I ordered when I thought he was minutes away from needing a booster and I;d pass on the harness to a sib. no sense by a multi use seat if you are just going to use for booster... I will have to see about harness height when dad gets home, we are a one vehicle family. It is really hot here. We may see if we can get to a baby boutiquey place and see what a Regent looks like IRL tonight (free A/c), of course install and store display can be different so who knows how helpful that would actually be.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Why is he flipping? At 7, he is perfectly safe sitting in a booster.

If you show him the Regent and he fits, and you don't buy it and instead put him in the booster, he's not going to get it.

4boysmom

Why is he flipping? At 7, he is perfectly safe sitting in a booster.

If you show him the Regent and he fits, and you don't buy it and instead put him in the booster, he's not going to get it.

He is flipping out because he does not like the idea/sensation of not having a harness keeping him nice and snug.

We wouldn't be making any purchases tonight and I intend on keeping him in the nauti until he outgrows it or if we happened to decide the Regent would be a go ahead (but again he wouldn't be changing seats any time soon). The only way I am going to even consider a Regent is getting it through the foundation for the $200 donation and that will still take a few weeks to be approved and then whatever time table from approval to seat being sent out and then hooking up with the Tech to get it installed. At this point, today, it looks like if he were to outgrow the Nauti harness today it would be a big fight to get him to stay safe in a booster :( I am going to keep working on him though but his anxiety level is just really high :(

scatterbunny

The Regent's top slots are about an inch higher than the Nautilus, IME. :twocents: My H only has a smidge of room in a Nautilus harness, but a solid inch in the Regent; maybe an inch and a half. For my child, an inch of harness height will buy us at least a year. I think for most children, this is true.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
In a case like that, where it isn't just him getting upset because he's not as safe, or whatever, and more sensory sounding, then a Regent would make better sense. Some children you can talk to about the issue, and "convince" them that they'll be just as safe, since they are bigger and such...

But regardless, 1 inch isn't a huge amount of time... you're going to have to find a way to make him feel comfortable in a booster, you know?

My little guy has sensory issues, he'd never get it, LOL.

bobbysgirl7103

We received 2 Regents from the KDM foundation in early April and they have a 2/19/08 DOM. We also received a Radian and it has a 12/07 DOM. So they are very new and will last a long time. :)

U

Unregistered

I know that this may sound like a stupid question but what is the KDM foundation?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC