5-Point Harness Vs. Booster w/Seat Belt

U

Unregistered

I just purchased a Graco booster for my 3 1/2yo, and am now concerned that it may not be the safest choice for her. A five-point harness seems safer than a booster with the car safety belt.. are there any conclusive studies either way? I do not want the cost to drive my decision, but the $50 price tag on the booster vs the $250 price tag on the Britax with the 5-pt harness to 80# made me pause. In addition, I have a 7yo who has been in a booster for 2 yrs.. do I purchase a 5-pt seat for him too?? I want safety to come first, but I am having difficulty finding evidence to point me either way. Thanks for any advice! Anjanette

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
At 3.5, more than likely he's too young to ride in a booster correctly. Yes, it's absolutely proven that a harness is better than just a seatbelt (the racecar driver scenario is often used here, they use 5ppt harnesses). There are crash seat tests to prove it as well if you want to see them. It is hard when $ is involved, but thankfully they are coming out w/ more options now to keep children harnessed longer. The Britax Regent is the only one that goes to 80# though so depending on the size of your oldest, a seatbelt may be your only option or the option that makes most sense. Cosco, Sunshine Kids, and Britax all make a 65# harness option (in order of least expensive to most) so you don't have to get the Regent for him. How much does he weigh and how tall is he? I'm assuming he outgrow his 5pt harness, that's why you switched?

U

Unregistered

I had my youngest in a really nice seat, but when I removed the cover to wash it I found that the styrofoam was cracked in half - though it has never been in an accident and it has never been dropped or abused in any way. So - I wrote to the company to see about a replacement piece and they advised that the seat was just over 6 yrs old and they no longer had replacement parts for it.. so we got the new booster thinking it was silly to get an interim seat for a year or so - my daughter is about 32# and 38", so she just hits the minimum size for the booster. My oldest is nearly 7 yrs and about 42#, so he is well into the booster range. I think I will replace my daughters seat with a 5-pt, though it's days old (hopefully I can return it), and I feel like I should replace my son's booster with the same. If you have references to any crash tests I would love to read them.. if only to sooth me when paying the bill/s for the new seat/s!

vegemom

Suggestions..

I just watched the crash test videos, harnessed vs booster.. both kids need harnessed seats. I am off to research now so I can get this done asap.. but if anyone has suggestions which seats/manufacturers to focus on, it would help. I am securing my son, who is about 42# and 48", and my daughter, who is about 32# and 38". I am starting with the Britax Regent/Husky since it goes to 80# with the harness, but since my kids are both slim, that may be overkill.. a 65# max harness may get us all the time we need. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

U

Unregistered

Those crash tests are pretty convincing aren't they!! I have my almost 8yr old in a Husky (she loves it) and my 4yr old rf (she requested it). I had realized the younger could rf again for a while and had waffled about doing it but the crash tests convinced me of the safety of extended rf and the importance of harnessing at any age.
C.

U

Unregistered

could you get us torso height on both of them?

My DS is 2.5 33-34lbs and 38.5". He is outgrowing his marathon because he has a very long torso, so I just got the husky from babylove.com for 169+ship.

You may have a few options here, but I personally would skip the marathon unless you were planning on having another child, since you wouldnt be using the rearfacing benefits.

You could look into the Radian(179-200) as one of the seats since 2 huskys might take up too much room. The radian has taller slots than the marathon and lasts 7years. It doesnt have built in lockoffs like the britax convertibles do, but if you arent use to using them it wont be a big change. They harness until 65lbs and may be a good choice for your youngest.
If you got 1 radian and 1 husky/regent(169-240), when your oldest outgrows the husky/regent you could move your youngest to it. I dont think your oldest would get much use from the radian since the guestimated height limit is 49" his torso may or may not be at or almost at the top slots.

Or you could look into a seat like the CarGo(90), if her torso isnt long, that harnesses until 40lbs but has taller harness slots for your youngest. Then by the time she outgrows it you can move her to the husky and your oldest to a booster(or possibly seatbelt alone depending on how big he got).

I believe the bolera is a combination seat with taller harness slots as well, it makes a good booster too. If you could find one and liked it you could get it and use it until your youngest outgrew the harness, move her up to the husky and your DS to the bolera as a booster. Id say that combo would buy you another 2 years of your oldest being in a harness.

Once we know their torso heights it will be easier to suggest a seat though.

Kellyr2

I think I'd look at maybe a Husky/Regent for your older one, but maybe just a Marathon for the younger one. Thats what I did. my oldest is 5, about 48# and my youngest is 3.5 and about 38#.

vegemom

I like the idea of doing the Radian for my youngest and the Husky (great price at babylove - thanks!) for my oldest, then moving my youngest into the husky when my oldest outgrows it. As for torso height, I have seen this referenced throughout the forum.. can you tell me exactly how to take this measurement?

U

Unregistered

yes if you sit them against the wall and measure from the ground to their shoulders it will give an idea of how long their torsos are.

vegemom

my son is at school, so I will have to do his a bit later, but my daughter measures 12-12 1/2".. does this seem correct? She's 3 1/2yo and about 38" tall.

U

Unregistered

seams a little short, but it might be right for her. Some kids are all legs and some are all torso and some are half and half. My DS is 38.5" and has about a 16" torso, but he is one of those kids with the looong torso for his age. What seat did she have before you got the booster and what slots were she on?

If she does have that short of a torso then you have some good options.

vegemom

We had a Century SmartMove that goes ff to 40# and 40" tall.. we bought it for my son and gave it to my daughter when he ourgrew it. It is a great seat, but it's nearly 7 yrs old and now it's ready to be recycled - though my daughter is very attached to it and I had to agree to let sit it in in the living room! :)

U

Unregistered

ohh you got me there! I havent heard of that seat. Maybe one of the more experienced techs will shine some light on its demensions.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
AJ is 32# and 36" w/ a 15" torso, he has short legs and a long tummy! If that is right for her torso height, then she has lots of room left in a Britax MA or Boulevard. We decided on the Radian since it's slots are higher. You could get away though (from the sounds of it) w/ a 40# harness seat w/ higher top slots, not sure about the Bolero, but I think the Recaro is supposed to have nice tall slots and make a good booster too. Babylove has both Marathons and Huskys on claerance would should help some if you want both.

For those interested, here's the 5pt harness crash test.
http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_...videos/test2002/frontcrash/maxicosipriori.mpg

Booster crash test:
http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/kisitest_2002/videos/test2002/frontcrash/maxicosirodi.mpg

A

androniki

safeguard car seat

I am moving my child out of a roundabout into a safeguard car seat.

I know it is expensive but if I plan to keep my 3.5 year old in it
as long as possible, I want it to be comfortable and sturdy.

This is my thought I live in NYC which is filled with bugaboo's galore.
I have an aria.
If you can spend over 500 dollars for a stroller, why not 400
on a car seat.

I guess it is not as appealing when you can't show it off.

just a thought

Last edited:

scatterbunny

The crash test videos are convincing, aren't they? ;)

I wouldn't get two higher weight limit harnessed seats, I don't think. Your daughter sounds like she's more legs than torso, and isn't very heavy, either.

I would get a Husky/Regent for the oldest (depending on his torso height; but I really think at 48 inches tall a Husky/Regent is the best bet) and a Recaro Young Sport for your dd. The Young Sport is pricey ($250), and it only harnesses to 40 pounds, but here is my thinking: your dd will not outgrow a 40# harnessed weight limit seat like the Young Sport for at least a couple of years. By then your 7yo will be 9yo. I would then move your dd to the Husky/Regent then, and move your son to the Young Sport in booster mode. Of all the seats that work as both harnessed seats and boosters, the Young Sport does the best job of both, so you'd be killing two birds with one stone, as the old saying goes. :)

I think if you go with a 65# weight limit seat for your dd and a Husky/Regent for your oldest, by the time your oldest outgrows the Husky/Regent (by height, most definitely) your dd will probably just be reaching 40#.

U

Unregistered

scatterbunny said:
I would get a Husky/Regent for the oldest (depending on his torso height; but I really think at 48 inches tall a Husky/Regent is the best bet) and a Recaro Young Sport for your dd. The Young Sport is pricey ($250), and it only harnesses to 40 pounds, but here is my thinking: your dd will not outgrow a 40# harnessed weight limit seat like the Young Sport for at least a couple of years. By then your 7yo will be 9yo. I would then move your dd to the Husky/Regent then, and move your son to the Young Sport in booster mode. Of all the seats that work as both harnessed seats and boosters, the Young Sport does the best job of both, so you'd be killing two birds with one stone, as the old saying goes. :)
lol! I made the same suggestion in my post but decided to take it out before posting cause I thought it might be a little too much $$
I think its a great idea if you think it would work for your family.

vegemom

Interesting idea.. I will look into the Recaro.. I did not think about what I would do with my oldest once he outgrew the Husky, assuming he would be large enough to (as safely as possible) be in a seatbelt without a booster. Now I will look into the future to see how tall ds will be.. *laugh*

scatterbunny

You can look at growth charts to see what percentile he is in, and if he has a trend of staying consistent in height, at least, to figure out when he might be able to go without a booster.

For what it's worth, kids should be in boosters until they can pass the 5 step test, found here: http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm (it's about much more than just age, height or weight).

The 5-Step Test.

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

Highback boosters provide some side impact protection as well, so even if a child may pass the 5 step test, it wouldn't hurt to keep them in a highback booster if they still fit by height (and my 5-foot-tall 12yo little sister still fits the Britax Parkway booster).

Really, if you were looking to spend $180-$200 on a Radian for dd and $200-$250 on a Husky/Regent for ds, spending an extra $50-$70 on the Young Sport shouldn't be a big deal, especially since you'll have an awesome highback booster out of the deal...you wouldn't have that with the Radian.

Normally I'm all for higher weight limit seats, but you'll already have the Husky/Regent. Your ds will only realistically use that for 2-3 years, and the seat has a six year lifespan. It makes sense to pass that seat down to dd to maximize its useful life, and if you had a Radian for her, it's unlikely that she would have grown enough in 2-3 years to benefit from the higher weight limit and taller top slots.

I hope this makes sense. I hurt my back today and took a muscle relaxer and painkiller, so I may be a bit loopy...hard to judge myself, LOL. :)

vegemom

Your thought path makes perfect sense.. that's where my thinking is, too. And I appreciate your effort when I imagine you would like to just crawl into bed and rest! :)

This is from the Recaro web site, in the description for the Young Sport..

FOR CHILDREN WEIGHING 30 -80 LBS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remove harness system and use as belt positioning booster

According to this the 5-pt harness is only good through 30#.. is your understanding that it goes to 80#??

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC