Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

I've never had a good car seat story to tell:

until today! There is a lady who works at the high school who is a know-it-all and extensive researcher. She was buying a car seat for her grand daughter this week and spent all day Monday on the computer looking. She checked consumer reports, and then recall lists and was disgusted that many of their "top picks" were on the recall list. Odd logic, but she said that alone took a lot of the credibility away from CR. She was looking into a 3-1 but actually came to me and asked for some advice. Her daughter is a trooper and she says she's certified to install seats, but she's not on the list so my guess is she took a short course.
    I advised her to go get an EFTA because it would last longer than a Marathon rf, (which she had already decided her grand daughter would be for a long time, despite what the baby's parents thought). Well, yesterday she came to me and said that she bought one and needed a little help getting it in because it was so bulky and it wasn't working right. Her daughter said it was too big, but this lady told her daughter that it would last the baby until kindergarten and that it was recommended by an "expert". Her DIL also went and bought one last night, and is coming by tomorrow during my prep period for help also.
    This has NEVER happened to me. Usually this lady gets her mind set on something and is unwilling to change, no matter what. I was so excited the baby fits in the seat so well. She also raved about how easy it was to use and how plush it was and how happy the baby was in it because she could see out the window.
    Joni
    Sunshine, 11, 5'3", 100 lbs in a 15.5" saddle

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: I've never had a good car seat story to tell:

Yeah!! That is a great story. You must be feeling prett darn good right about now (& you should be!)!!

What a great story. It is so glad to hear stories where people listened to good advice.

I have a good story to tell (this happened this week). Last year, one of my coworkers is fostering 3 of her nieces and nephews due to their mother dying in an accident. She has no kids of her own so not much experience in the carseat area. Last year when she first got them, I made up a package of info on seat usage and rearfacing and booster seat usage. I convinced her to keep her older two kids harnessed (3 and 4 at the time) and the 1 year old rearfacing for a while longer.

Fast forward to today (one year from when I told her about the carseats initially). She asked me to reevaluate her carseat situation. Both girls are still in harnesses and still fit according to the guidelines I gave her on outgrowing seats (they are very tiny kids). The youngest was still rearfacing in his seat, even at age 2. She did buy a 3-in-1 seat for him which wasn't my recommendation, but this child is tiny though so it may last him a while. She is going to keep the child rearfacing until he reaches the height limit of the seat (she says he is getting close to that 1" above his head).

It felt good to know that she listened to my advice initially. I didn't think she had listened, but I guess she did.
    Katy

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Sweet! Good for you, and for her!

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785