Vintage Strolee Installed, 1978

classicseats

For laughs, here is a 1978 Strolee Wee Care "installed" as it would be back in the day. Talk about being a nerd!

Last edited:
ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
For laughs, here is a 1978 Strolee Wee Care "installed" as it would be back in the day. Talk about being a nerd!

Oh, you ARE a nerd now, aren't you? :)

Thanks for the pics. I can't imagine using one of those. And I didn't realize that you have classic cars to go along with your classic seats!

classicseats

Oh, you ARE a nerd now, aren't you? :)

Thanks for the pics. I can't imagine using one of those. And I didn't realize that you have classic cars to go along with your classic seats!

More of a nerd than you are! I have a lot of old junk, not just seats.

Milkie&Cookie

Awesome! It even had side impact protection! ;) I bet kids like that seat (other than searing their little flesh on the hot vinyl). They got up nice and high to see out the windows and inhale mom/dad's second hand smoke, listen to some fine tunes on the AM radio....

kidrepair

Sad part, I remember using one of these, i watched 2 girls, who were born in 82 and 84, they had one with a handmade cover with yellow checks. The chestclip was the same material as the straps and had a snap to close it and the crotch buckle flipped up and over a loop which was what held the shield down. I don't see a loop on the shield in your pic, so maybe it was a different model. I remember using the recline mode for ff and it would sit so low on the seat, but in the raised position that sucker sat up really high.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
But is it a nice tight installation with less than one inch of movement at the belt path? :whistle:

Looks totally cool, I'd love to install a few of those things to compare to today's seats :D

winterlights08

That looks like the seat I had! I was born in 1977 and mine had a burnt orange carpet-like cover. I don't remember ever riding in it (I usually rode down in the front passenger floor-well of our VW beetle convertible!) But my parents pulled that seat out for my little sister who came along in 1987 :eek: She was out of it by 3.5-4 yo, after that she rode without a booster and the shoulder belt behind her :(

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Hey, I installed an old seat in my mini van. Talk about tight! You're not a nerd!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hey, that was my seat!! Except mine was blue. After me it was my brother's and I remember sitting on the seat (on a booster with an H harness attached to the retrofitted tether anchors my mom had put in her 1976 Ford) next to that thing. It has so much metal!!!! I pinched my fingers in there a couple of times.

It was really high up. I had to crane my neck to see my brother.

I liked that my feet didn't dangle, really. I could put them on the car's seat beneath me a bit. And the vinyl didn't bother me any more than my mom's car would have bothered me. We put towels down on hot days so as not to leave our skin and muscles behind.

Wendy

indigoblossom

wow - that's like a car-sized high chair.

78 - the year before i was born and because carseats weren't mandatory when i was young, i was never made to sit in mine. in fact, my mom was in a rollover when i was just under two and i landed *in* my carseat, on the floor of the car but i hadn't been sitting in it beforehand. makes me wonder how i might have fared if i had been.

how does this thing install, exactly? with a belt or did it hook over the back seat like older seats? i really wasn't up on remembering what carseats looked like until my brother was born in 1983. i remember the bucket they sent him home in from the hospital and than his vinyl fisher-price booster. fun times!

TerisBoys

wow - that's like a car-sized high chair.

78 - the year before i was born and because carseats weren't mandatory when i was young, i was never made to sit in mine. in fact, my mom was in a rollover when i was just under two and i landed *in* my carseat, on the floor of the car but i hadn't been sitting in it beforehand. makes me wonder how i might have fared if i had been.

how does this thing install, exactly? with a belt or did it hook over the back seat like older seats? i really wasn't up on remembering what carseats looked like until my brother was born in 1983. i remember the bucket they sent him home in from the hospital and than his vinyl fisher-price booster. fun times!

This one uses a seatbelt - if you blow up the second picture you can see the belt going through some of the tubing on the bottom of the seat.

ckleiber

Wow those pictures bring back some memories. I never sat in one but my younger twin brothers did in the back of my dads 1974 Ford Maverick their was enough room in the back for both seats to fit and a space in the middle where I always had to sit with a small seat belt. My brothers always had a good view out of the window with the high seats while I had to make sure I didnt pinch my fingers with all the metal that was around me. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC