Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Need help with recline angle

Does this seat look as though it is installed at a 45 degree recline.... or reasonably close? The white pole in the background is straight up and down. I can't imagine that the red line on the side of seat would to an accurate install at 45 degrees. It seems as thought the seat would practically be tipping over. Sorry about the messy car... and the headrest has been moved and is not a projectile.

Thanks!
    Last edited by tl01; 10-02-2008 at 09:48 AM.
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Need help with recline angle

Looks fine to me. As a matter of fact it looks to reclined to me though, but I am by no means an expert! Maybe someone else will chime in on this one for you! I think it is fine though!
    Krista Mommy 2 Marcus, 6 years old, 48 inches tall, 40-42lbs, 16 inch torso & riding in a Graco Safety Surround!!

That's what's so nutty about this seat. To me, the seat looks like it is at a 45 degree angle and yet the line on the side is still not even close to level with the ground.
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tl01 View Post
    That's what's so nutty about this seat. To me, the seat looks like it is at a 45 degree angle and yet the line on the side is still not even close to level with the ground.
    I agree that it is nutty! I also think that they are crazy to say it HAS to be at a 45 degree angle no matter the age of the child. I personally would not hesitate to install it more upright as I think a full 45 degree angle would just piss my son off. I personally also feel that RF itself is safer & that a more upright angle is good for older kids. So I would just let it go & be happy that your child is still RF!
    Krista Mommy 2 Marcus, 6 years old, 48 inches tall, 40-42lbs, 16 inch torso & riding in a Graco Safety Surround!!

Senior Community Member solmama's Avatar

I totally agree! I cannot install our Truefit any more upright or my dh and I will eat the steering wheel. In addition, my ds would go batty trying to sit up!

I personally would not hesitate to install it more upright as I think a full 45 degree angle would just piss my son off. I personally also feel that RF itself is safer & that a more upright angle is good for older kids. So I would just let it go & be happy that your child is still RF
    !
    DD-12 years, 68"
    DS-10 years, 60"

bump
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

I have a very odd way of "eyeballing" the recline level, so take this with a grain of salt. (I picture a newborn sitting in it the seat.) In this picture, it looks more upright than 45 degrees. (When I picture a newborn in it, their head flops.)

Sorry, I know that sounds ridiculous, but that's the way my brain works!
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    I have a very odd way of "eyeballing" the recline level, so take this with a grain of salt. (I picture a newborn sitting in it the seat.) In this picture, it looks more upright than 45 degrees. (When I picture a newborn in it, their head flops.)

Sorry, I know that sounds ridiculous, but that's the way my brain works!
    Really... that's a bummer... that's about as reclined as DS can stand the seat Now what to do?
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013

Senior Community Member solmama's Avatar

send the photos to southpawboston he has a computer program that will measure the angle for you. Good luck!
    DD-12 years, 68"
    DS-10 years, 60"

Quote Originally Posted by solmama View Post
    send the photos to southpawboston he has a computer program that will measure the angle for you. Good luck!
    I had just PM'ed him when you posted that Thanks! I'm hoping he'll check it out.
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013

CPS Fanatic

well the pic is not taken straight on from the side and i'm not sure if the picture is level either, but for a rough estimate i'm getting 39.7 degrees.
    Two girls, 7 and 6. Trek Mountain, Specialized Hotrock, Soma Buena Vista, Bike Friday tandem, and multiple other bikes. Oh, and a Mazda5.

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tl01 View Post
    Really... that's a bummer... that's about as reclined as DS can stand the seat Now what to do?
    Well, now you're stuck deciding whether to make a "parental decision" to use it against the manufacturer's instructions, or get a different seat.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    Well, now you're stuck deciding whether to make a "parental decision" to use it against the manufacturer's instructions, or get a different seat.
    I think I'm just going to FFace him since he weighs 34 lbs now. This situation is starting to drive me nuts! I waited a long time for this seat so I'm pretty frustrated it had to have such an odd restriction.
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013