Anyone a CPS Tech and not have a Britax

MommaTooters

Just wondering if anyone here is a CPS Tech but does not have a Britax. Most everyone I meet in real life or that I see here on the net who is certified all have a Britax.

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I know some techs that don't own a Britax seat. They make some great seats, but they aren't the only seats, and they don't work for all children.

(I do own 2 Marathon's and a Parkway, but I don't buy seats because they say "Britax" - I buy because they suit my needs, and my kids needs!)

Stretchy Glue

I didn't until my dd was in a booster. Later we bought her a Husky, after financial stuff got worked out. The main reason was that she was so tall and needed the height. I'm getting rid of the only Britax I have left.

crunchierthanthou

I know there are a few who don't. I think if you add "or sushine kids" to your question that you'll have an even harder time finding any techs here- especially among those of us who have children in seats.

MommaTooters

I am going to be taking the certification class this June so that's part of the reason I was asking. Another reason is because it almost (ducking my head here) seems like a secret requirement...if that makes sense. I know that I cannot afford a Britax (or sun shine kids) so I got the next best thing that WAS affordable at the time. I'm having a hard time trying to type out what I want to say...lol

BW1426

I'll be a tech as of tomorrow and I don't own any Britax or plan on having one anytime soon. They're lovely seats, but I don't like the high profile of them in my sedan and fitting 3 across is a must for me. They just don't fit my needs. If only my radian had LATCH bars and built in lockoffs, I would truly be head over heels in love!

TerisBoys

I am going to be taking the certification class this June so that's part of the reason I was asking. Another reason is because it almost (ducking my head here) seems like a secret requirement...if that makes sense. I know that I cannot afford a Britax (or sun shine kids) so I got the next best thing that WAS affordable at the time. I'm having a hard time trying to type out what I want to say...lol

Don't duck your head!

The BEST seat is the one that fits your child, vehicle, and BUDGET and can be used safely every single trip.

A Britax can be misused just as easily as a Scenera if the parents don't take the time to learn how to use it.

I've had my fair share of Britax. But I'm not ashamed to say that my 5yo is riding in a Graco (Nauti) or 12yo is in an Evenflo (BigKid). OK - my 8yo has a Recaro Vivo - but it was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Shaunam

I own more non-britax than I do britax, does that count? LOL No seriously, I'm actually considering getting rid of the regent and getting a nautilus and when DD outgrows the diplomat, we're going to decide if we really need another britax or if she can go back into the triumph or what. It all depends on how much better her tone gets. She needs the wings on the diplomat/boulevard right now. But we will be selling the diplomat regardless when she outgrows it. That seat was just a temporary fix until we get a car with more room.

I really like britax, but there are other seats I love too. And some I've never even gotten a chance to play with (like recaros) that I might fall in love with. In our class, the head instructor and I were discussing the parkway and how I think it's a great seat. When we were using the clickers, the question about "what seat is the best" came up and he put in a "joke" answer of britax. Everyone got the answer right (fits your car, fits your child, will be used right). He turned to me and said, "I though for sure you'd pick britax". I was like "what!?". I think they are great seats, but I never, ever even hinted that I think they are best. I told him I thought graco was starting to give britax a run for their money. :p

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I don't own a Britax. I have a Chicco KeyFit, Cosco Scenera and a Graco Nautilus.

I don't know what I'll get when this baby is ready for a convertible, but that's likely 15-18 months away...who knows what'll be out by then!

Susan

BookMama

Senior Community Member
None of the techs that I know in real life (other than the ones I know from here or Babycenter) have Britax, as far as I know. No one in my class did, for sure.

Murphy's Law

I do own 2 Britax seats, but honestly my favorite seat is the Evenflo Triumph Advance so that's the one that gets the most use between both of my kids and I'm not afraid to tell people that. So while Britaxes are popular, they aren't the only seats out there that do the job well.

Congratulations and good luck with your upcoming class!:thumbsup: I just finished mine 2 weeks ago.

southpawboston

when i last shopped for carseats, money was no object, i looked at britax, sunshine kids, and recaro. yet the britaxes and sunshine kids radian simply didn't work for my needs. i ended up with two recaros. actually, i have four :eek:. that wouldn't change at all if i decided to become certified.

i think for a long time britax was the only carseat maker who made seats with really nice "extra" features and solid construction, but i think a lot of other carseat makers have caught up and leveled the playing field. i think a lot of techs who've been "in the field" for a long time still think this way, so it's automatic for them to just choose britax, since that's what they remember.

MommaTooters

GOTCHA! I am starting to feel better. It's not that I don't feel that my son is not safe in his EFTA but soooo many people know about the Britax that when I do become certified I want to be able to reassure them that a Britax is not necessary.

courtfrog2

None of the techs that I know own britax either. My instructor didn't have alot of experience with it. She did however get a Regent for class, and her words were, "That seat is a BEAST to install" I was laughing and told her that I install at least one each weekend to switch vehicles! I can install them REALLY fast.

I do love the Nautilus though!

southpawboston

GOTCHA! I am starting to feel better. It's not that I don't feel that my son is not safe in his EFTA but soooo many people know about the Britax that when I do become certified I want to be able to reassure them that a Britax is not necessary.

part of being a tech is recommending a seat that fits the car, fits the kid, and fits the parents' budget. part of being a tech is to not recommend specific brands out of personal bias.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
**I don't**

My kids are in an alpha omega 3-in-1 and a nautilus. these seats meet our needs, our car, and our budget.
DD spent the last 2 years in a $30 vision from big lots, but she just got a nauti due to a growth spurt.
ds spent his first couple months in his hand-me-down comfortsport, and now has a $80 AOE.

ffpmcps

I don't own a Britax. I had a Baby Trend infant seat then a Triumph (the original). Then an Apex when it came out because I wanted a HWH and we just didn't have the money for a Regent. Now I also have a Nautilus. Our back up/travel seats are a Comfortsport and a Graco Cargo. I like the Britax, and don't have anything against them. I do love the ETA though and since it matches up pretty well with the Marathon, I would probably get it over the Marathon even if money weren't an issue. I haven't looked into boosters much yet, but as of right now I don't plan on having to get one since the Nautilus is latchable.

Andrea

crunchierthanthou

I wouldn't feel bad about owning an EFTA or GN. They are great seats at good prices with relatively few install issues. They get recommended here several times a day. Even the Scenera and Uptown are decent seats for their prices.

houseofboys

I'll be a tech in 2 days & haven't ever owned a Britax. I kind of wish we'd have gotten a Marathon back when we first moved DS#2 into a convertible, but we're past that stage now & happy with our two Nautis & two Turbos. :D

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I do own a MA right now but will likely be selling it in the not too too distant future. My favorite seat right now is my EFTA. I loved my Britax when I initially bought it - but like SPB said, in my case there wasn't anything comparable to buy that had high top slots and my comparison was to an AO that was just barely compatible with the car it was in. Having owned seats other than the AO and the MA now though, I really like my EFTA better.

Like others said, you don't have to own any specific seat to be a tech. It's not about what you have, it's about what you do and what you tell people. Sometimes I think people get too attached to a specific brand and get too biased against some seats - comfortsport comes to mind. It's not an unsafe seat, just not the best when it comes to value for long term use due to being outgrown quickly. But that doesn't mean I would tell a parent to never buy a comfort sport though. :thumbsup:

Heck, I have a really really good friend who chose to buy an AO seat knowing all about it's limitations because she planned to hand it down anyways and it didn't matter if it was outgrown before 40lbs. And there's nothing wrong with that. There's no right or wrong seat based on a tech's personal preference, although I will say I find myself biased away from the 3in1's because parents struggle with them so much. But there's a difference between providing a group of recommended seats and just telling a parent to buy a specific brand. Teach a parent what to look for in choosing the seat, and they'll end up with the best seat for them regardless of what that ends up being.

So yeah, relax and just try to enjoy your class and soak it all in. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC