08 Grand Caravan - Regent and Boulevard

Milkie&Cookie

So, I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to get an 08 Dodge Grand Caravan SXI.

Has anyone had any experience installing a Regent and a Boulevard in this vehicle? I'm thinking I'll install the Regent in the 3rd row (my son thinks the third row is way cool LOL. He's only 35 lbs so he's still latchable. The baby has to be rear facing in one of the captains chairs. Is there some place to tether to the front seat?

Do you like the Caravan? I'm nervous as hell about such a big vehicle. I have a Saturn Vue right now and love it, but the lease expires and we really need a 3rd row. The Regent takes up so much room that we can't take anyone else in the car. So, no play dates, no trips with Grandma etc. That's driving the move to the mini-van. I'd love to hear everyone's :twocents:

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We have an '08 Grand Caravan and love it. We have a Marathon (Blvd clone ;)) and it installs well both RFing and FFing in all positions. Yes, there are places to RF tether for the Captain's chairs.

The back up camera makes it super simple to park this thing and I got used to the size of a van within a week of first driving it (went from a 2 dr sports car to the van).

You also should not have any issues putting the Regent in the third row. The third row is identical to the 04 - 07 GC's and people have Regents in there with no issues. The only tether anchor is in the center position on the back of the seat in the third row, so you'll need to have your Regent in the center position. The 3rd row center position has a light weight locking latchplate and all other positions have switchable seatbelts (contrary to what the manual states :mad:).

My kids love that the windows roll down in the second row. We have the swivel n' go version and it makes it really easy to get into the second row (all my seats are FFing). I also love having the under floor storage bins in the second row... my projectiles are at a minimum thanks to those bins. :D

Milkie&Cookie

Thanks Jen! So I don't know what the impact of the switchable seatbelts / latch plates etc is about. I have always used latches. I think I can keep going until he's 40lbs right? Then I'll be crying LOL So if I have to put him in the center position of the 3rd row, does that mean I can't fold down half of the seat?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The 3rd row is a 60/40 split. The tether anchor is slightly off center of the middle position (towards the 60 side). The LATCH is also off center. It takes up both the middle and driver's outboard position in the third row. This leaves only the passenger outboard position available for seatbelt use. It can easily be folded down when you are using LATCH/seatbelt in the third row.

Here's the Radian (I know... way more narrow :D) in the 3rd row using LATCH...
2103567725_5c3b8675a3.jpg

The GC also has a 48lbs LATCH limit, so you won't have to switch to seatbelt for a long time. :)

There's no impact on the seatbelts... just different ways to install child restraints when using seatbelts. A switchable seatbelt means you pull it all the way out to switch it into locking mode. This is the kind of seatbelt in all positions *except* third row middle.

The third row middle has a light weight locking latchplate. The lap portion stays tight while the shoulder portion still moves freely. In a collision the emergency locking retractor kicks in and keeps the entire seatbelt locked.

Milkie&Cookie

Thanks Jen! I wonder why they only put one top tether in that row. Strange. I'm glad I only have to worry about 2 kids in carseats. I'm sure it gets tricky with more!

my2kidsSafe

i have the 2007 town and country (same as the grand caravan)with the 60/40 back row and i fit my regent in the 60 percent no problem and you can still put down the 40 part just fine. As previous poster mentioned though its pointless for that drivers outboard side in the back with a seat in the middle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC