Safeguard Star Seat -- observation/questions

singingpond

On Monday, DS#2's preschool class went on a field trip, riding in big school buses. I posted an earlier thread about the issues of having 3 and 4 year-olds riding unrestrained on a school bus: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=43519&highlight=general+statutes

Anyway, I took the teacher up on her offer to have my DS (who is 3 1/2 y.o.) ride on the bus in a Star Seat. Incidentally, he was the only child on the bus to be in a restraint. There were many adults on the bus to supervise the kids (at least one adult in every seat); however, I saw many children kneeling, standing up, facing backward, etc.... so what good does the adult supervision do in those cases?? I guess the kids weren't actually playing tag in the aisle :rolleyes:.

The Star Seat was really easy to adjust for DS, even never having seen one before. For those who have never encountered one of these seats, I particularly liked the tightening mechanism. Instead of a single strap down between the child's legs, the two side straps each have an independent adjuster, of the same style that you find on the Marathon's LATCH straps (and on the tether strap of the older Marathons). So, the strap comes down over the shoulder, through the chest clip, through the buckle tong/tongue, then through the tightening adjuster, and the bottom end of the strap is attached at the side/bottom part of the seat (outside the child's leg). You have two loose strap ends (one on each side), and just snug them up appropriately. It was SO much easier than tightening the harness on our Britax and Radian seats, partly because you're not trying to drag harness straps that are stuck behind the carseat shell, and potentially dragging against the vehicle seat also. The whole strap is just out in the open, and the adjuster is very easy to tighten and loosen.

Why can't our regular carseats have an adjuster like this? I would certainly much prefer it. I guess you do end up with loose strap ends hanging out the sides of the seat, and maybe that is considered a problem? Maybe having two of those high-quality adjusters would be more costly than the single crummy adjuster mechanism we are stuck with on so many seats, so the manufacturers don't want to do it for that reason? Maybe there is a concern that users won't get the two sides even (but that already happens pretty often with current seats, especially those with the continuous harness strap between the two sides) ??

It was sort of eye-opening -- an obviously much-easier-to-adjust mechanism, which just isn't found on mainstream carseats, for some reason.

Katrin

ADS

jmm3

My dd rides in a Safeguard Star everyday on her bus, and I really like it.

The adjustment is really easy, which makes a lot of sense since different kids might use it, and it fits a wide weight range. It makes me feel better that it's easy since I can't always be around when she's being buckled.

The only reason I could think that other seats don't have that kind of mechanism is that the shell might get in the way?? I think it would still work though since there isn't usually that much shell around legs in most cases.

Here's a link in case anyone hasn't seen it. http://www.safeguardseat.com/bus/products_addon.htm

musicmaj

My son rides in one on the bus too. It is super easy to use and he still fits in it at 52lbs and 6 years old. I am so happy our school system has these for the special needs kids.

momtoirs

We have these built-in seats on our busses (I teach early childhood special education) or something similiar. I hate the built in seats. They appear to have some sort of ratcheting mechanism inside the seat to tighten the belts. They are difficult to get tight enough and the belt seem to twist somwhere and jam the mechanism.

We do have a few kids they have installed star seats for. I do find these easy to use for the widest number of kids.

Tina

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC