Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPST Instructor

What to do when no other options...???

A few days ago, I posted about a check I was going to do at the distribution center with a father of 5. I was wondering about RF the 15 months olds (if I could get away with it).

Anyway, he came today not only with only 2 of his kids (the 15 month olds), but also in a friend's car. His van was broken down. He needed me to help him install 4 seats in a 5 passenger car (98 Subaru Forester).

Although I've been teaching myself about car seats for a year and a half, I've only been a tech since February. I am the only tech available in the area, so no other SR checkers to bounce ideas off of. I did the best I could today.

The 15 mth olds went home RF in Sceneras (one on each outboard side). The 2 year old was not there, but his seat was installed in the middle of the back with lap only belt (no tether anchors installed).

He had to have 4 seats installed because he had to pick up the 2 year old and the 4 year old from school/care later today. I told him that the 4 year old would be killed/severely injured in front of a deployed air bag, the manual had no way to turn it off. The seat could not go back any further.

What would anyone else have done? He put the booster in the front seat despite my warnings, because he had no other options.

Another pain with not having the actual vehicle available is not being able to be there when he installs the seats later. He assured me his van had locking seat belts, but how am i to know for sure? It was a 95 Dodge Caravan. Do they have locking latchplates?

Rachel, CPST-I
    Dd1 : 5/03 : 60 lbs : Monterey and Turbo
    Dd2 : 11/05 : 51 lbs : Regent and True Fit

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: What to do when no other options...???

The oldest FF harnessed child should go in the front with the seat as far back as possible. But it's up to the PARENT to make the tough choices.

A 95 will probably need locking clips.

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

CPST Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMae View Post
    The oldest FF harnessed child should go in the front with the seat as far back as possible. But it's up to the PARENT to make the tough choices.

A 95 will probably need locking clips.

Susan
    I thought about that afterwards, but there was only a lap only belt in the center of the back (2 RF Sceneras on either side). The Scereras couldn't have RF side by side, do you think? Should I have turned one of them FF (2 15 month olds, one was 21 lbs, one was 18 lbs) just to fit the Sightseer in back outboard?

Rachel, CPST-I

A 95 Dodge Caravan will have locking latchplates. Honestly, I'd have put the boostered kid up front too. The reason why? Because you may not be able to puzzle 2 RF sceneras and a booster without putting the booster in the center, and since there is no shoulder belt that just is not an option.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

CPST Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post
    A 95 Dodge Caravan will have locking latchplates. Honestly, I'd have put the boostered kid up front too. The reason why? Because you may not be able to puzzle 2 RF sceneras and a booster without putting the booster in the center, and since there is no shoulder belt that just is not an option.
    Okay, good, that's what I was thinking. I just HATED seeing him drive off like that. But I didn't know what else I could have done.

Good to know about the latchplates. I knew Dodge was likely to have locking latchplates, so I explained that to him so he could check when he installed them in his own vehicle.

Rachel, CPST-I

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post
    I agree. It's a lousy situation, but you do the best you can. Sometimes you end up in the "something is better than nothing" category.

It's good that he came back to you even though he didn't have his car, though. That's a commitment to show up again even without what he normally has. And boy did he need your help today.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

A dodge of that era almost always has locking latchplates. Chevy too - it's so common you can almost bank on it. lol
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

I think you did great. Being a tech is not only just about knowing and encouraging "best practice," but being able to figure out the best way to handle the less-than-ideal situations that we're faced with so often. I don't think anyone here could have done anything differently/better in this particular situation.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.