What to do when no other options...???

RJB78

CPST Instructor
A few days ago, I posted about a check I was going to do at the distribution center with a father of 5. I was wondering about RF the 15 months olds (if I could get away with it).

Anyway, he came today not only with only 2 of his kids (the 15 month olds), but also in a friend's car. His van was broken down. He needed me to help him install 4 seats in a 5 passenger car (98 Subaru Forester). :eek:

Although I've been teaching myself about car seats for a year and a half, I've only been a tech since February. I am the only tech available in the area, so no other SR checkers to bounce ideas off of. I did the best I could today.

The 15 mth olds went home RF in Sceneras (one on each outboard side). The 2 year old was not there, but his seat was installed in the middle of the back with lap only belt (no tether anchors installed).

He had to have 4 seats installed because he had to pick up the 2 year old and the 4 year old from school/care later today. I told him that the 4 year old would be killed/severely injured in front of a deployed air bag, the manual had no way to turn it off. The seat could not go back any further.

What would anyone else have done? He put the booster in the front seat despite my warnings, because he had no other options.

Another pain with not having the actual vehicle available is not being able to be there when he installs the seats later. He assured me his van had locking seat belts, but how am i to know for sure? It was a 95 Dodge Caravan. Do they have locking latchplates?

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
The oldest FF harnessed child should go in the front with the seat as far back as possible. But it's up to the PARENT to make the tough choices.

A 95 will probably need locking clips.

Susan

RJB78

CPST Instructor
The oldest FF harnessed child should go in the front with the seat as far back as possible. But it's up to the PARENT to make the tough choices.

A 95 will probably need locking clips.

Susan

I thought about that afterwards, but there was only a lap only belt in the center of the back (2 RF Sceneras on either side). The Scereras couldn't have RF side by side, do you think? Should I have turned one of them FF (2 15 month olds, one was 21 lbs, one was 18 lbs) just to fit the Sightseer in back outboard?

skaterbabs

A 95 Dodge Caravan will have locking latchplates. Honestly, I'd have put the boostered kid up front too. The reason why? Because you may not be able to puzzle 2 RF sceneras and a booster without putting the booster in the center, and since there is no shoulder belt that just is not an option.

RJB78

CPST Instructor
A 95 Dodge Caravan will have locking latchplates. Honestly, I'd have put the boostered kid up front too. The reason why? Because you may not be able to puzzle 2 RF sceneras and a booster without putting the booster in the center, and since there is no shoulder belt that just is not an option.

Okay, good, that's what I was thinking. I just HATED seeing him drive off like that. :( But I didn't know what else I could have done.

Good to know about the latchplates. I knew Dodge was likely to have locking latchplates, so I explained that to him so he could check when he installed them in his own vehicle.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

I agree. It's a lousy situation, but you do the best you can. Sometimes you end up in the "something is better than nothing" category.

It's good that he came back to you even though he didn't have his car, though. That's a commitment to show up again even without what he normally has. And boy did he need your help today.

Wendy

skaterbabs

A dodge of that era almost always has locking latchplates. Chevy too - it's so common you can almost bank on it. lol

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I think you did great. :thumbsup: Being a tech is not only just about knowing and encouraging "best practice," but being able to figure out the best way to handle the less-than-ideal situations that we're faced with so often. I don't think anyone here could have done anything differently/better in this particular situation. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC