Can someone please explain the Aussie '6pt' harness to me?!

BabyKaykes

Why the split crotch strap? What's it's purpose?

For those that don't get it, the Australian Britax Maxi Rider. FF only, from 8-18kg in the harness, booster to 26kg - notice the crotch buckle.
6125%20Maxi%20Rider%20MK2%20-%20Arcadia_A.400.jpg

Ooh, look, a 40lb Frontier with no wings...:thumbsdown: Umm, HOW does this thing make a decent booster? :scratcheshead: :confused:

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
Do you KNOW how expensive car seats are in Australia? That car seat is worth $400 (at least), I'd shudder to think what a frontier-like seat would cost, even so I have heard there is one like it coming on to the Aussie market though. That's one of the better seats they have available in Aussie, you're pretty lucky being in the US you know ;)

Supposedly the 6 point harness w/ the split crotch strap is to prevent injuries to the genetalia even though there haven't been any reported (last time I read).

Definitely not the greatest booster, but then most boosters in Aussie aren't that great anyway. Though at least as a booster you can still use the crotch strap and from memory there is a shoulder belt adjuster that comes with it for booster mode.

USmominOz

Yes, w/ this booster the crotch can be used w/ the seatbelt to prevent anti submarining in the seat.

I buy all my seats from the US and have them shipped or bring them back w/ me.

All of our boosters only go to 57lbs and our car seats w/ a harness only go to 40lbs.

The only good thing about the seats here is that all the infant seats/car seats have the anti rebound bar.

Their is a new model coming out just like your Frontier but it still only goes to 40lbs w/ a harness. I have seen it, but I would not pay the money for it. This model has been out for about 3 yrs.

Last edited:

BabyKaykes

I'm jealous of the Euro infant buckets. I have no desire to pay the Companion price, but if I could find a FPSVI I would SOOOOO buy it!!! I love anti-rebound bars!!!

Also curious about using the crotch strap without the rest of the harness...

BabyKaykes

Ok, sorry, I just don't see the point. Is that a seat in booster mode? Because the kid might as well just be in a harness!

Are the buckle tongues just an extra piece that clips onto the belt? I don't see how that is working at all...

CRS

Senior Community Member
Ok, sorry, I just don't see the point. Is that a seat in booster mode? Because the kid might as well just be in a harness!

Are the buckle tongues just an extra piece that clips onto the belt? I don't see how that is working at all...

There are no seats in Australia that harness past 40lbs with the inbuilt harness. There is the buckle that you use when you are using the seat with the harness, then there is an extra clip (with the metal tongs) that clicks into the buckle and over the lap portion of the seatbelt making sure the lap belt is kept nice and low and stops them from submarining under it.

Because all seats in Australia stop harnessing at 40lbs, some people use harnesses like the 86-Y with them (like at the bottom of this page http://www.childrestraintsafety.com/extended-harnessing.html ) It is quite different from the US and definitely no way near as convenient but it's the best they have and the only things they can really work with (no matter how annoying they are!). Definitely not as flash and easy as lots of the HWH seats in the US, you should count yourself lucky!

brooklynsmommy

PP, that was VERY informative! I really like the idea of the anti sub clip. I really like the way the harness is threaded though the actual seat as well. Hmm, too bad we don't have anything like that here.

laurenrachey

PP, that was VERY informative! I really like the idea of the anti sub clip. I really like the way the harness is threaded though the actual seat as well. Hmm, too bad we don't have anything like that here.

:yeahthat: I think that is pretty neat also. Boosters should come equipped with that, so at least when all these dummies put a 3 year old in it, the belt stays low on the hips and they can't slip under :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC