Which seat for this 15 month old?

RJB78

CPST Instructor
Right now, I'm the only tech at the local distribution site. I've only got two days under my belt for doing this, so I could use some expert help. :)

I've got a family coming in this week with 5 kids.

Age 4, age 2, two 15 month old twins, and a newborn. They need 5 new seats. I don't have my HWH harnessing seats yet (they're on order though), so I'm going to put the 4 year old in the Sightseer (It's my only option). The 2 year old (I don't remember his weight - in the 20's), will go in the Express. The newborn (only 4 days old!) will go in the Scenera - again, only option.

The 15 month olds are what I am wondering about. One of them is 18 lbs, one is 21 lbs. I am putting the 18 lb-er in a rf-ing Scenera. What about the 21 lb-er? If it were MY child, I would leave him rf-ing, no question. However, I worry about either a) the father arguing with me about putting a 15 month old rf-ing or b) choosing a seat that will last the longest.

At another check (in a different town), the other techs basically told me that when distributing seats, sometimes you can't push the extended stuff/best practice, and have to "settle" for minimums.

If I'm looking long term, will the Express last the 15 month old longer because it will eventually turn into a booster? If I won't be using the rf-ing capability, should I just go with the Express? Are the slots higher on an Express?

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
You will have to RF the 21 lb'er in a Scenera, as it has a 22 lb/34" FF minimum. No question, I would have them leave RF.

Shaunam

I'd do a scenera. Even if they do ff, it will last a while. And the scenera I think says 22 lbs and 34" to ff, so you might be able to convince the dad the other twin HAS to rf, even if 20 and one is the bare minimum. He has to go by the seat's manual.

It would suck to get a ff'ing seat only to find out they want to keep him rf'ing.

Mommy2Marcus

I to would do a Scenera for them both. I would also try to RF the 2 yo if at all possible with as small as he/she is. I would just give them the information that you have about it & see if they will RF him/her. They might listen to you with you being a tech! I would then put the baby in a Scenera & the oldest in the seat you said you had to.

Will you be able to give them a HWH seat when they come in? If so could you tell them that & ask them to come back when you get the HWH seats in? I would try to keep the 4 yo harnessed if at all possible if you can give them another seat! That is what I would do or try to do anyhow!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
At another check (in a different town), the other techs basically told me that when distributing seats, sometimes you can't push the extended stuff/best practice, and have to "settle" for minimums.

I just want to say that I totally feel for you. I do most of my seat check events in urban, very poor areas that ere nearly EVERY child gets a news seat from us. (Since I started working at these events in September, only ONE kid has come in a seat that was appropriate for him to leave in.) Basically we're not "allowed" to RF a child unless they came in RF, or if they're under the FF weight/height limits. (A good portion of the seats we distribute are Dorel seats, so they have the 22 lbs/35" FF limits.) Boosters if they're over 40 lbs - backless boosters if their vehicle seat has headrests.

I hate the choices we have to make sometimes, but all of the kids we check leave much, much safer than when they left.

RJB78

CPST Instructor
I to would do a Scenera for them both. I would also try to RF the 2 yo if at all possible with as small as he/she is. I would just give them the information that you have about it & see if they will RF him/her. They might listen to you with you being a tech! I would then put the baby in a Scenera & the oldest in the seat you said you had to.

Will you be able to give them a HWH seat when they come in? If so could you tell them that & ask them to come back when you get the HWH seats in? I would try to keep the 4 yo harnessed if at all possible if you can give them another seat! That is what I would do or try to do anyhow!

I wish I could put the 2 year old RF, but I just don't see that happening. If I remember correctly, he's like 28 lbs. I don't know how much over 2 he is, but unfortunately, I think I'll have to FF him.

The HWH harnessing seats will not be here by the time the check is (Tuesday). The 4 year old is definitely over 40 lbs though.

BookMama

Senior Community Member

I can't imagine a family being willing to Rf FOUR kids! :)

RJB78

CPST Instructor
The WORST was the kid I had an appt for two weeks ago.

He was under 4 and over 40 lbs, and I had NO HWH seats. :mad: I would have had to have put him in a Sightseer!

His parents were no shows, so he didn't get any seat from us. They've rescheduled, though, so I will have the HWH seats, then. :thumbsup:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
The WORST was the kid I had an appt for two weeks ago.

He was under 4 and over 40 lbs, and I had NO HWH seats. :mad: I would have had to have put him in a Sightseer!

We've had several 3s who were over 40 lbs (even a couple of 2s). We had no choice but to put them in boosters :( - I think this happened to me three times during my first post-class seat check event. Talk about an eye-opener. The director of the program is planning to get some Nautiluses (Nautili? :p) for these situations.

I will say that it's very interesting for me because I spend my CPST time on both extremes of the spectrum - online forums, where people come to us asking how they can RF or harness their kids longer, and at seat check events in poor areas where 2YOs arrive in just the seat belt. If that. :eek:

Mommy2Marcus

I can't imagine a family being willing to Rf FOUR kids! :)

Who knows...Maybe they will! I still think she should mention it even if they say no, at least she asked..right! However he is over 2 so it's not that bad for him to FF now. Would you be willing to RF four kids? I would if they could be RF! So that said I think it is worth a shot at least, but if not then hey that is okay to! I do see your point though!

Most people give me funny looks when I put my DS in or get him out of his CS that is RF. No one has said anything, but I have seen the looks & them whispering to whomever they are with. Just once I wish someone would say something or ask me WHY so I could tell them. I am dying to educate people...LOL!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC