Help ME...PLEASE!!! Urgent!!

Mommy2Marcus

Okay...Here is my delima. One of my VERY best friends was in a wreck the other day. She has 3 kids, 2 in boosters & 1 in an infant seat. None of the kids were in the car, but the 2 boosters were as well as the infant seat base, but not the seat itself. She said that she was hit in the front end & that there was NO damage to the side or back of the car anywhere near the boosters or base. However she was bruised up really bad & her car is pretty well totaled as the car that hit her hit her HARD going in reverse, as in intentional. Now here is where the delima comes in.

She has NO money to replace the kids seats what-so-ever. I would LOVE to purchase new boosters & a base for her, but I can not afford it either. What should I do? She needs the seats replaced, but can just NOT afford it. I told her to check her seats really really good for stress or cracks without the cover, but I had no clue what else to say. The seats are all Evenflo I believe & the boosters are high back. HELP ME PLEASE!

She lives in Birmingham, Alabama & she could qualify for assitance, but where would she get it? She is a single mother living on a very strapped income. Someone PLEASE Help me. I am thinking of talking to DH & seeing if we can buy her 2 new Graco Boosters for the older 2 as she can use the infant seat without the base. Please anyone know where I can get her assistance from??

Also IF DH & I decide to buy her new boosters, what are the cheapest I can find a Turbo Booster & Where?? I will likely be buying them this next weekend if I do. Please help me...I am so sick over this as I know those kids NEED new seats now.

ADS

armywife12

The other person's insurance should take care of car seat costs. The wreck is bad enough to where the other person is responsible for buying her new seats. She shouldn't have anything to worry about there. Maybe what she can do is call someone to find out in fact that the seats will be covered, and fight it if they say it is not, and maybe you can buy her new seats now until she gets the check covering the costs.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Her local health department, WIC, Safe Kids, or Police Department would be good places to seek free or reduced cost seats from.

Could she (or you, or her family, or someone?) get the baby a Scenera? That, along with two inexpensive high back boosters would be under $100 total.

Momof4Girls

Will their insurance not be responsible for the damage to her car? The insurance should reimburse her for the seats!!

Raechel

Mommy2Marcus

I forgot to mention that it was a hit & run. She also only has liability & since she did not get a tag number her insurance is not covering it. I tried that route with her last night, but she is not getting anything from any insurance company. The car slammed into her then took off so fast that she was unable to get the tag number. So as I said hit & run. So it has to be her that buys the new seats. However as I said I am going to talk to DH about helping her!

aisraeltax

omg how horrible. i am so sorry. i dont have any advice but couldnt read w/o commenting that you are a great friend to care this much about her and her kids...i could only hope someone would help me like that if i ever needed.

what a horrible situation to be in as a single mom. :(

Mommy2Marcus

TY for the comment about what a wonderful friend I am. I LOVE her & her kids VERY much & she is coming out of a VERY bad relationship with her youngest child's father. We are pretty sure he had someone run into her as he has been threatening her life, but very subtley. I hope that I can find her help to get the seats replaced without having to spend the money, but I might have to. Thanks for making me feel so good. I do love her so much & would HATE to see anything happen to her kids.

nov05mama

Oh yuck...I was gonna say the insurance thing too...but what a horrible situation! That is so great that you are trying to help her though!! I agree w/ Gypsy's suggestion though...that may be the only option if insurance won't cover it! :(

loufrando

What about the Fischer Price Safe Voyage boosters @ albeebaby.com? They are even cheaper than the Evenflo or Graco boosters I believe. They are only $29.99 each (plus $5 shipping for the order) @ albeebaby. Then she could use the infant seat w/o the base or you could get a Scenera for $40. That would be about $100 total.

KelliBella

That's horrible. I'm so sorry that your friend has to go through this, and I agree that you are being such a kind friend. The tip from Lauren about the FP Safe Voyage seats is a good one. I just heard about that sale earlier today.

And I also whole heartedly agree with Gypsy's ideas. Call as many agencies as you can. Keep calling. There are sometimes programs set up that aren't highly advertised.

Good luck to you and your friend!

keri1292

If she has suffered abuse, try local women's shelters as well. They may be able to help her in many other ways as well. :( You are a good friend.

Mommy2Marcus

Thanks to you all! You have made me feel SO good today! I intend to make some calls tomorrow to see if I can find them some new seats. I am also going to try to get the baby a new seat as he will be needing it SOON. As you can tell my heart is seriously breaking over this whole situation. DH & I are trying to move back down there so we can be closer to her & the kids. I greatly appreciate all the help you have all offered.

Terri, I am going to look into the Big Lots having the $30 Turbo Boosters. I am also thinking of asking my mom to help me to. Thanks for letting me in on that one!

abacus2

Big Lots is a great place to look for car seats. Mine had a Regal Ride for $35 and a $20 high back Turbo. I hope you can find something.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Can you loan her one of yours? At least until she gets some extra $$ to replace her infant seat?

Susan

Mommy2Marcus

Her infant seat is fine just the base was in the car, so she is okay with that one & her older two are to big for any of my seats! I made some calls today, but with no luck! If she needed an infant seat I would just give her my Scenera, which I still may just buy her a Scenera soon anyhow!

henrietta

How old is her baby?

I ordered a Fisher Price SV booster from Albee for my niece and am pleased w/it.

And I agree that Big Lots is great for seats--we had $20-30 highback boosters there and $30 Regal Rides (older Scenera's) for a while.

I also work for a consignment sale called JBF (Just Between Friends). Maybe there is one in your area? I normally would never suggest a used, second hand seat, however, the owner of the sale here has people fill out a special form about the seat's history and makes it very clear that it must not be recalled unless it has been repaired properly (according to the manufacturer's policy), never in a wreck, has ALL of it's parts, not expired, etc. etc. I sold one of our seats at the sale, as did my friends, and they were reasonable. It would be better than nothing, *if* there is no other option.

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC