Private check yesterday

PixieEMT

I held a private seat check on Saturday from 12-4 at our station from 12-4 for our members and their families/friends.

It was a flop. We notified members in our monthly news letter too. :(

I had the Regent from KDMF (that is going to a family this week) I was busy reading the instructions and practicing. SO the day really wasn't a waste.

I had ONE person. :(

It was the dad that I had loaned my Evenflo Express combination seat to back last year. His son will be 3 in August, stats: 34lbs, 38 inches, torso 12inches. The ex-wife had CUT the harness of his Cosco combination seat last October! :eek: She couldn't get the buckles to release (probably b/c of food debris) so she cut them! :rolleyes: They were using the seat as a BPB for a 2 y/o!:eek: I showed the dad the KDMF video and site.

They are really financially strapped. So, I loaned my Express (expires this december) to him and the little boy has 1.5 inches of torso grow left in the harness. :thumbsup:

In December, I'm going to work on getting a GN for the little boy. My friend gets his big employee discount from Walmart at that time. So, hopefully I can raise some $$ for my cousin's memorial fund to buy him a seat.

He also gave me TWO nasty infant seats to destroy! :D One was an Evenflo that expired in 2003 the other was a Century Smart Fit expired in 2005.
I had plenty of time to saw them in half. :):thumbsup:

PS: I know this thread is worthless without pictures lol! So , I will try to post pics of the nasty seats later.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I hate that. I have one location that does not do as well as the others, and I know that not everyone in town knows, well does put in their car seats right!

PixieEMT

We have several members that are expecting relatively soon and one that just had another baby last month. :thumbsdown:

The day wasn't a total waste: I helped reinforce the importance of a 5pt harness. Destroyed two nasty infant seats. Played with the Regent. (That is a whole other thread BTW, yowwwzeer that seat is heavy) :whistle:
The only police officer said "Holy cow that looks like a seat from a small sports car!" lol
Ran the vacuum in the station, cleaned out the couches, cleaned the computers and bathroom.

Topped off with a walk for ice cream and visit to the town park with DH and son.:)

U

Unregistered1

Played with the Regent. (That is a whole other thread BTW, yowwwzeer that seat is heavy) :whistle:
The only police officer said "Holy cow that looks like a seat from a small sports car!" lol

Hahahaha you should have seen all 80 lbs of me at BRU the other day trying to lift the Regent off a shelf as high as my shoulders! I think the employees were impressed... but I know my way around a car seat, LOL!

PixieEMT

Update to the family I checked on Saturday: The father called me to tell his wife got pulled over today and cited for a Child Restraint violation!

His estranged wife was pulled over today by the local township police for a child restraint violation! Children under 4 in PA it is a primary offense. So, they saw the little boy bouncing around in the back of the station wagon with NOTHING!!! IN the cargo area!:mad::eek:
The mother and grandmother had no seatbelts on and the car had expired insurance. :thumbsdown:

So the police chief refused to let her drive the vehicle away with the little boy unrestrained and no insurance. She had to call and have someone with a restraint pick him up! :thumbsup:

She was near the walmart but said she had no money to buy a seat.:rolleyes:

PixieEMT

She didn't come to the check. Her husband volunteers with me. They are going through a divorce. He told me on Saturday she doens't buckle him up period! He exchanges the kids at the Buckhorn mall with her. He said she drove them from Danville in the cargo area last week and he flipped out on her.

So Hemlock Township PD pulled her over today! :p

gbpmama

If I were that husband, I'd have a DIFFICULT time handing my child over to such a woman. I know there are laws in place about visitation but uh, she's putting the child and herself in danger, as we all know.. Or maybe I'd let her drive away and then call the police each time to have her pulled over. Eventually she'd lose her license, I'd hope. But then, it sounds like she's the type to keep on driving even without one.. URGH!!!

keri1292

She didn't come to the check. Her husband volunteers with me. They are going through a divorce. He told me on Saturday she doens't buckle him up period! He exchanges the kids at the Buckhorn mall with her. He said she drove them from Danville in the cargo area last week and he flipped out on her.

So Hemlock Township PD pulled her over today! :p

I know unrestrained is unrestrained, but I can't imagine hurtling down 80 with my kid loose. :eek:

Has he considered going for full custody? I'd tell him to call 911 every time that she doesn't buckle him. Also, teach the child about car safety. Maybe the child can tell Mom to buckle him up.

I can't imagine giving my kids to dh knowing that he wouldn't buckle them. :(

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Also, teach the child about car safety. Maybe the child can tell Mom to buckle him up. (

I totally agree with this. Teach the child that he needs to buckle up - get him to PREFER being buckled - and the mom may end up buckling him (and herself, hopefully) if for no other reason than to shut him up. :whistle:

"Mom, I'm not BUCKLED yet!" "Mom, you didn't buckle me up yet! We can't go!" That's what I hear from my DS if I so much as put the car in gear before he's buckled. I bet it would drive her nuts.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I totally agree with this. Teach the child that he needs to buckle up - get him to PREFER being buckled - and the mom may end up buckling him (and herself, hopefully) if for no other reason than to shut him up. :whistle:

"Mom, I'm not BUCKLED yet!" "Mom, you didn't buckle me up yet! We can't go!" That's what I hear from my DS if I so much as put the car in gear before he's buckled. I bet it would drive her nuts.

I agree with this too!!! My dd would flip if I took off before she was buckled. DS is still learning but dd knows. If she buckles and is not tight, she lets me (or whoever is in the car with her) know.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
It is very hard..we know that dh's kids dont buckle when they are with their mom.
If they ever get in an accident...........

1Sept3Dec

Senior Community Member

We hear the same thing from my kids! A few weeks ago I started backing out of the driveway at day care and my 4yo burst into tears "Mommy, I'm not buckled!" It was great! (Well, not great that I forgot to buckle her - but great that she let me know ASAP!) It's been an interesting transition from a HBB to the Regent - she can't do the bottom part herself, so I'm back to buckling 3 of the kids again. :rolleyes: It's worth it though!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC