Halfway through CPST class & have question...

houseofboys

I've read here (dozens of times! :) ) that the overall height limits on CRs are actually guidelines and that the seats can still be safely used (heightwise) as long as:
RF - 1 inch of shell above top of head
FF - shoulders at/below harness, shell above tops of ears
Our instructors, however, taught that they are outgrown if the child exceeds the stated height limits, even if they still fit in the seat according to the above guidelines. I asked for clarification and she repeated that the seat is outgrown when the stated height limit is reached or there is less than 1" of shell above head or the stated weight limit is reached - whichever comes first. (We were talking about RF seats at the time.)
When installing my best friend's new KeyFit I noticed that the manual very clearly says that same thing.
It completely makes sense to me that total height shouldn't matter, but is there something in the curriculum that officially gives us permission to go against the manufacturer instructions in this area?

ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
It's one of those grey areas since each child carries their height differently. You must have 1" above the head for the seat to protect it. I don't and never will agree with the head even that I know some here say is okay. I am sorry but even properly restrained children still ramp up a rear facing seat. That leaves their head exposed to contact with an object in the vehicle.

As for the I do follow the 1" rule and not so much the height limit on the seat. A lot of the manufactures are now changing their instructions to reflect the 1" rule "BUT" NHTSA require a height & weight limit on all seats.

Here is maybe a good way to explain your ? to your instructors. "Since best practice is for a child to rear face to the full weight limit of their child restraint. What if you get a tall 11mth old child that carries all their height in their legs but has 3" of car seat shell above his/her head. This child has passed the height limit guidelines but is under the rear facing weight limit for his/her convertible?"

See what their stance is on that.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I can see this as a liability standpoint as well -- instructors are supposed to teach according to the curriculum (and/or carseat manuals) -- if you're in a Proper Use state, then you're more strictly bound by the written guidelines even though a child could be inches taller than the guideline when standing yet have inches worth of sitting room :shrug-shoulders:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Do they actually advocate bringing tape measures and yardsticks and baby measuring paper to seat checks, though? If they do, then they are probably serious about it :D

I asked an instructor who DOES do that, and she said it's easier to just tell them the heigh limit is absolute so they don't get ideas that they can keep on using a seat when really the kid is so close to needing a new one there's no point having them eke out a few more weeks (we live in an ideal world online where we can be persnickety about measuring kids and posting pictues and worrying about it every day, while in the real world, people just aren't this obsessed. Kid 29 inches in a snugride? go get a new seat NOW and end the wondering, kwim?)

U

Unregistered1

My instructors said the same thing. I even asked about it, said that I had heard the height limit was more of a guideline from some other techs, and they said that using a seat past the height limit is something we would never advocate since it's against the manufacturer's instructions.
It's still kind of an afterthought to me though... because a kid CAN be all legs. I haven't checked on the girls' heights versus the limits on their seats... I know they fit in them fine.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Do they actually advocate bringing tape measures and yardsticks and baby measuring paper to seat checks, though? If they do, then they are probably serious about it :D

The problem is that the SafeKids form has a space to put the child's height (not torso length), and we have to fill out EVERYTHING. So we do have tape measures at seat check events.

That said, the techs and instructors I work with tend to ignore overall height and go with how the kid actually fits in the seat. :thumbsup:

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
It really is a gray area. Technically, you should follow the manufacturers' limits (including height limits) - period. When you're teaching a class of new Techs you really need to keep it simple. Teaching them to adhere to the limits is really the right thing to do. Most of the manufacturers that I have spoken to regarding this issue have made it very clear that their height limits are not "guidelines".

However, FWIW, the AAP policy statement is:
"If a car safety seat accommodates children rear facing to higher weights, for optimal protection, the child should remain rear facing until reaching the maximum weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back.

I don't actually believe that children are *at risk* if they continue to properly use a CR when they have surpassed the stated height limit as long as they still fit in every other respect. But it's best to err on the side of caution and just let the parents know that the seat has technically been outgrown. The average new Tech is confused enough just trying to adhere to all the rules and instructions. Teaching them to break, bend or ignore the instructions in the initial certification course really isn't a good idea.

Personally, I don't pay any attention to stated height limits when it comes to my own kids in seats. But I think it would be reckless of me as an Instructor to teach my students to ignore them.

I do wish NHTSA would stop mandating height limits and just let us go by the 1" rule. But for now we should council the average parent at a check event to adhere to the listed limits.

Kecia

skaterbabs

Honestly this is why I feel the course is far too short. If they cannot manage to get these people to understand the nuances, then they need to not be techs. :twocents:

crunchierthanthou

Well said, Kecia. I think it's along the same lines as using the tether beyond manufacturer stated limits. You're not going to find it in the CPS curriculum, but it's a somewhat common parental decision. Both are things I've researched and feel comfortable advocating to parents. I don't think that means we're a bunch of rogue techs around here- just that the curriculum is very much beginner info and introducing gray areas at that point will do more harm than good.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC