Reevaluating carseats for my 4 year old

boscopup

My son will be 4 in a month and a half. He weighs 37.5 lbs without shoes, so probably 38.5 with shoes. I don't know if he'll gain more weight soon or not (he was 36 lbs for a LOOOONG time and just gained weight this past week!), but in case he does, I need to reevaluate what seat I want to get him. I asked a while back, as he was getting close to the height limit on his seat, but he hasn't grown in torso height recently that I can tell. His overall height is 41.5", and his torso appears to be right around 15.5". He's currently in a Triumph and has about an inch above his shoulders, although he may not be sitting as far back as he should sometimes. I try to scoot him back, but sometimes it doesn't work well.

Anyway... I had previously thought about the Triumph Advance, but now I see the Graco Nautilus is out, and I like the sounds of it... harnessing to 65 lbs *and* converting to a booster after that. My biggest question is... how well does the cover come off it for cleaning? I never thought about covers until my son potty trained. LOL. I've had to wash the cover of the Triumph 3 times now, and I HATE IT. I have to undo 6 screws from the back to get the cover off! Ridiculous! Now I looked at the Triumph Advance in the store, and it looks like the cover will come off without having to unscrew anything now, right? So that's a big plus. But what about the Nautilus?

And are there any other seats in a similar price range that have come out recently that I should look at? I intend to harness him as long as possible. I also have another son that will get the handmedown seats (although at 18 months, he's already on the top slots of the Roundabout he's in... long torso). I intend to pass the Triumph on to baby brother, as that seat seems to last much longer than the Roundabout, even though they supposedly have the same strap height. My older son outgrew the Roundabout straps at 2.5 years old, and has been fine in the Triumph this whole time. I doubt younger son will even make it to 2.5 years in the Roundabout. I had to forward face him in it at 16 months (head was above the back). :( Might be able to turn him back around a bit longer in the Triumph. I haven't sat him in it yet. He is 34" and all torso.

We have a Radian 65 as well, but that stays in DH's truck. I've put it in the van before (2000 Montana), and it just doesn't install well in the van. I couldn't get a tight fit, and I'm usually really good at getting carseats TIGHT. I don't have that problem in the truck. So the Radian is out for the van.

Thanks!

ADS

Mama!

The Nautilus is super popular right now.

My own dd, who is about your ds's size, rides in a Regent. It's certainly not a small seat, but it installs well in my van, and it harnesses to 80 lbs.

the New Britax Frontier can harness to 80 lbs, and then converts to a booster. Its about the same price as a Regent and while it has had a few installation issues, its certainly a seat I'd consider if I were you.:thumbsup:

the EFTA (Triumph advance) is a good seat as well. It harnesses to 50 or 55 lbs and has decently high top slots. Not sure how much grow room your ds would have, but since you asked about it, it's a pretty good seat.

AmRo

I had the old Triumph too and hated taking that cover off to wash! What a PITA! :thumbsdown:

I also have a Nautilus and just removed the cover for washing this past week. It was super easy for me to get off and back on! All the elastic loops lined up perfectly with their respective hooks, and the harness is pretty easy to thread in and out of the harness slots in order to remove the cover. Compared to the old Triumph, it was a breeze! And the cover washed beautifully too. I give the process a big :thumbsup:

I love our Nautilus. It installs quickly and easily with the lap/shoulder belt in all the cars I've tried it (a Scion xb, a Prius, a Civic, and a Malibu), the harness is the easiest to adjust that I've ever used, my son loves the cubbies and the cup holder. It's a nice, solid seat. Plus, in booster mode you can secure the seat to the car using LATCH (both the lower anchors and the top tether). The lap/shoulder belt would, of course, be restraining the child. The low back booster also has a 9 year expiration (6 years for the harness/high back booster). So it could be the last seat you would need to buy.

Have fun car seat shopping! :)

boscopup

I also have a Nautilus and just removed the cover for washing this past week. It was super easy for me to get off and back on!

Oh good! I'm glad someone who has experience with the Triumph was able to comment on the Nautilus. :) I curse that Triumph everytime I have to wash the cover. NEVER had to wash it until we potty trained and had a couple accidents, and then a couple months ago he threw up in the van and it got all over his carseat. Blech. Then as the 6 screws are out, I have to find a hiding place where someone won't walk off with them, which is getting harder and harder these days! :p That's just an evil cover. I mean, they made it so you can adjust the harness height without taking the seat out, which is *awesome*, but then you have to undo 6 screws to take the cover off? So silly.

Plus, in booster mode you can secure the seat to the car using LATCH (both the lower anchors and the top tether).

Oh neat! Although I wouldn't be able to use it yet, as my vehicles don't have LATCH (well, one does, but it's not one the kids ever ride in, so no carseats). But in a couple years, we should be getting a newer van. :)

Thanks everyone for the input! I'll look at the other seats mentioned as well. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC