Question on car seat law..

VirginiaDavis

Regarding removing an infant from their safety seat, while the car is moving, to feed the baby.

Thoughts? Someone is saying its legal and I dont understand how it could be? Or safe for that matter...

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Yep.

Some states (mine, for example) still have an exemption that allows it. (We're working on getting that changed!)

Depends on the state, though. You can't just say "it's legal," you'd have to say "legal in my state."

And legal doesn't make it safe. There are no exemptions for the laws of physics!

VirginiaDavis

Yea, I just found a place with laws and I guess its legal in Idaho...

I told the girl that was asking that just because its legal, doesnt mean its right. She is arguing with her mom about having to stop to tend the baby when they make a 12 hour trip.

It boggles me that someone would do that :( Thanks!

indigoblossom

crazy! i would never have guessed that was still legal in some states. or that it was ever legal, once carseats became mandatory. why people wouldn't just pull over is beyond me but *i hate to admit this* my aunt was taking her daughter out of her carseat to nurse her at the wheel just a couple of years ago. despite my insistance that it was next to child abuse, she continued because she didn't want to listen to her daughter scream. "you could stop and park, then!" - but no, catering to her daughter's every whim and putting her safety at risk, to boot, is a better idea, i suupose. okay, sorry to go off like that. /rant.

Mommy2Marcus

That is NUTS to even think that that is safe. Not to mention legal in the first place. I remember when Marcus was little & we drove 2.5-3.5 hours to family, if we needed to stop then we stopped, but he always stayed IN the car seat when the car was moving. If he needed to eat someone just moved to the back seat with him & fed him while the other was driving while he rode in his seat strapped in.

Also what IF something happened while he was NOT in his seat & he died? She would NEVER be able to forgive herself. I deffinatly think those laws need to be changed!

VirginiaDavis

Yea its her mom that is pushing the issue, she doesnt think its a good idea. And I totally agree. I have two kids and when we took them for any long trips as babies, if they needed something, we just stopped at the next rest stop or gas station and dealt with it. Just one of those things when having kids, you stop more!

I was shocked to see it was ever legal myself!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Legislators rarely (if ever) uphold safest practice, however the laws of PHYSICS don't care what jurisdiction you're riding in. Carseats aren't magic. They have to be used correctly for the entire length of every ride. Just one second's worth of misuse can & too often does have permanent disastrous effects.

Last edited:

abacus2

If they're taking a 12 hour trip, they'll probably spend some time traveling in a state where it is illegal. It's definitely not safe. I have a niece who is still alive because she wasn't taken out of her car seat minutes before a serious accident. You cannot predict when an accident will occur. A car seat can only do it's job if it's being used.

jdubsm

Yes Idaho law lets you take out a baby from it's seat if you are tending to it's "immediate needs". Our local group from Safe Kids has been trying to get it changed for years but it keeps getting stalled. Also if all the seats in the vehicle are taken it's ok for a child to be on a lap. How stupid is that???

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC