Couple questions please

ADS

mominabigtruck

I'm not sure about every single state but yes on NY
No any aftermarket cover not made by the manufacturer will void your warranty and is bad news

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
1 year AND 20 pounds is the absolute minimum for forward-facing. The current recommendation is to rear-face children as long as possible, hopefully to the limits of the seat.

Aftermarket covers are not okay to use. They are not tested with the seat, which means they could compromise the ability of the seat to properly protect the child. Even if they have been treated with fire/flame retardant, they are still a big no-no.

:)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
There are no car seats that I know of that allow a child under 1 year to forward face.

Mommy2Marcus

Yes 1 year AND 20lbs is the absolute minimum for FF, BUT is it so much safer to RF till the max limits of the seat. I also want to add if they outgrow the infant seat at 20lbs before a year then they need a convertible seat that will keep them RF! I have my 25lb, 33inch 19 month old still RF! Here is a link to a video that shows WHY RF is safer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8

If you need reccomendations as to what seat to buy come back with the stats of the child & we can help. We need the weight, age, torso height ( the seated height from bottom to top of shoulders) & what car the seat is for!

Also aftermarket/custom covers are a NO NO!

adamsmommy

Thanks, but we were curious about laws in every state. I wanted to know if all states had that or if there were still a few that did not. I thought they all did, but wanted to ask before I said anything.

I was also thinking the covers were no no's, but they were just so cute.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, not all states have that law. NC doesn't. We have a proper use clause. So yes, it's illegal to forward face a child under 1 and under 20 pounds, but it's not because of a state law. That same law would say that it's just dandy to put a one year old 30 pounder in a high back booster as long as that seat says for one year and over 30 pounds.

Wendy

adamsmommy

WOW! I had no idea! That is just nuts. Adam could have been in a booster before he was even 2!!:thumbsdown:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC